PDA

View Full Version : 4E Monk - Which boots should I take?

Jaidu
2011-02-08, 03:19 PM
I'm playing a level 9 Githzerai Centered Breath monk in an adapted Planescape campaign, and after our last adventure, the DM is allowing me to take one level 10 or lower feet slot item.

My main choices:
Boots of the Fencing Master: I shift quite often, so the AC bonus would be triggered a lot, but the Encounter power isn't too useful since I can shift 2 squares pretty easily.
Boots of Striding: Extra speed is always nice.
Rushing Cleats: As far as I can tell, this would allow my Centered Breath Flurry of Blows to slide enemies 2 squares, and that would be nice.
Wallwalkers: This is the one I'm leaning towards right now. It would make some challenging terrain trivial, and give me something similar to a climb speed, plus the flavor is really fun for an agile monk.

I'm open to other suggestions as well. Ideas, forum?

rayne_dragon
2011-02-08, 03:56 PM
Mechanically I think your best bet would be the Boots of the Fencing Master. Thematically the Wallwalkers are just too cool for your character to not take. I'd suggest going with the wallwalkers unless you really need the AC boost.

Kurald Galain
2011-02-08, 04:03 PM
Acrobat Boots - standing up as a minor means you can pretty much ignore the prone condition.

As a monk, you don't particularly need fencing mastery or striding. Rushing cleats is good, and wallwalkers are very funny (albeit more effective on a ranged character).

MeeposFire
2011-02-08, 06:03 PM
Acrobat Boots - standing up as a minor means you can pretty much ignore the prone condition.

As a monk, you don't particularly need fencing mastery or striding. Rushing cleats is good, and wallwalkers are very funny (albeit more effective on a ranged character).

I agree here. Nothing sucks worse for the mobile monk than losing your move action to stand up. Rushing cleats are great too especially with the deadly draw feat (or with things like polearm momentum) if you are centered breath.

Jaidu
2011-02-08, 10:39 PM
Mechanically I think your best bet would be the Boots of the Fencing Master. Thematically the Wallwalkers are just too cool for your character to not take. I'd suggest going with the wallwalkers unless you really need the AC boost.

I already have higher AC than most of my party, so yeah, I don't really need it too much.

I have Fallen Needle, which allows me to move 3 or shift 1 as a minor. Acrobat's Boots would be nice, but due to the low cost I figure I can pick them up later if I feel they're necessary.

I agree here. Nothing sucks worse for the mobile monk than losing your move action to stand up. Rushing cleats are great too especially with the deadly draw feat (or with things like polearm momentum) if you are centered breath.

Polearm Momentum specifies that is triggered when a target is hit with an attack, and Flurry of Blows is not an attack, unfortunately, though I do have a few other powers that cause slides and pushes. It would help with Deadly Draw at paragon when I can take Starblade Flurry and flurry a second target for damage and a slide 2.

Thank you all for the responses. After some consideration, I'm going to go with the Rushing Cleats. I'm not lacking for mobility, so I don't really need too much more, and since our group doesn't have a controller it might be helpful to be a bit more slidey.

Jaidu
2011-02-08, 10:47 PM
Actually, I just reread Rushing Cleats, and it also specifies close or melee attack. I guess I'll be going with the Wallwalkers after all.

MeeposFire
2011-02-09, 03:11 AM
I already have higher AC than most of my party, so yeah, I don't really need it too much.

I have Fallen Needle, which allows me to move 3 or shift 1 as a minor. Acrobat's Boots would be nice, but due to the low cost I figure I can pick them up later if I feel they're necessary.

Polearm Momentum specifies that is triggered when a target is hit with an attack, and Flurry of Blows is not an attack, unfortunately, though I do have a few other powers that cause slides and pushes. It would help with Deadly Draw at paragon when I can take Starblade Flurry and flurry a second target for damage and a slide 2.

Thank you all for the responses. After some consideration, I'm going to go with the Rushing Cleats. I'm not lacking for mobility, so I don't really need too much more, and since our group doesn't have a controller it might be helpful to be a bit more slidey.

Well the idea would be to use a lightning weapon with mark of storm or pick powers with slides and the like in it. Then you would get prone on every power you use.

Myrdraal
2012-07-07, 12:45 PM
Just for those looking through the scarce monk info out there and that fell on this thread, Flurry of blows IS an attack power and does work with rushing cleats if you are centered breath. Rules compendium p90 specify that when it is not mentioned, powers that deal damage are attack powers. Also, if the question pops up, it counts as making an attack for the purpose of having only 1 free attack per round (Blurred Strike Ki focus being an exception).