PDA

View Full Version : Animal Choices (For and Imp and as a Companion)

Chilingsworth
2011-02-08, 04:41 PM
Ok, As with my previous thread, I'm looking for help with my upcoming wizard character. This time I'm looking for animal advice.

Specifically, I've decided to go with the Animal Companion ACF so I need to know what's the best animal companion for an effective 2nd level druid.

Also, I've taken the Obtain Familiar and Improved Familiar feats and chosen an Imp. What are the best alternate forms for the little guy?

The campagin is taking place in a desert, so anything that can't take the heat will possibly be in trouble. (I can cast endure elements on my critters, but if they lose their shared spells, they'll need to take the heat.)
Our group will be guarding varrious "holy sites" from invading "adventurers." Basically, we'll me like some of the mooks from the Indiana Jones and/or Mummy movies. Hopefully, much less "mook-y," though.

Finally, one of the reasons I went with the alternate class feature is to disguise my "wizardy-ness." From enemies. Of course, they'll probably figure it out fairly quickly once I start casting, but If it keeps them from
auto-targeting me on round one, I think it'll be useful. I also have a Twighlight Mithral Chain Shirt (with the cooling ability from Sandstorm,) a Falchion (which I can use thanks to Human Paragon,) and a hat of disguise to hide my nature.

Any suggestions?

EDIT:

Also, no dinosaurs sorry I forgot to mention it. In fact, no dinosaurs allowed in any way, shape, or form.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-02-08, 05:06 PM
Riding dog is the usual best low-level AC... for Imp alternate form... care to re-fresh its limitations please?

Chilingsworth
2011-02-08, 05:13 PM
Riding dog is the usual best low-level AC... for Imp alternate form... care to re-fresh its limitations please?

Imp alternate form just says it works like polymorph except that it only allows one or two forms and does not regain hp from using it. Also, I'm assuming my DM will only allow animal and/or vermin forms (since those are the types listed as common forms.)

Dusk Eclipse
2011-02-08, 05:17 PM
Does it says at which CL?

hmm as far as animal forms go... a Fleshraker (MM III) is quite mean and powerful, I would also suggest a good flying form... maybe Dire Eagle/Hawk (RoS)

Which version of Imp are you using? cause the one on the SRD reads as this

Alternate Form (Su)

An imp can assume another form at will as a standard action. Each imp can assume one or two forms from the following list: Small or Medium monstrous spider, raven, rat, and boar.

Chilingsworth
2011-02-08, 05:32 PM
Does it says at which CL?

hmm as far as animal forms go... a Fleshraker (MM III) is quite mean and powerful, I would also suggest a good flying form... maybe Dire Eagle/Hawk (RoS)

Which version of Imp are you using? cause the one on the SRD reads as this

I'm using the Monster Manual version. It lists common forms, but doesn't explicitly limmit them. Also, no dinosaurs sorry I forgot to mention it. In fact, no dinosaurs allowed in any way, shape, or form.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-02-08, 05:36 PM
hmmm perhpas looking into a druid guide, they usually have some suggestions for wildshape forms per level. you could see something that might work with your Imp