PDA

View Full Version : Gestalt character beholder/???

uchiha191942
2011-02-08, 05:22 PM
I am playing a gestalt beholder for a reverse dungeon dnd game we are playing and I want to know a good class (homebrew would be better) for a beholder, I rather not have magic classes, or more or less, wizards, druids, sorcerers, and clerics will not work. I was thinking of like a ninja but I would rather have a better version of ninja or something totaly aweseom to play as a beholder, please help me giants!

Loki_42
2011-02-08, 05:42 PM
Well, why do you have a preference for homebrew? A swordsage(albeit a little magicy), can really do ninja's well. It's hard to do D&D with absolutely no magic, though, an Beholder builds really well into wizard. Since it's gestalt, you should have a lot of room in the build. Also, you should specify your using this(http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8501338&postcount=416)

Mystic Muse
2011-02-08, 05:43 PM
Well, why do you have a preference for homebrew? A swordsage(albeit a little magicy), can really do ninja's well. It's hard to do D&D with absolutely no magic, though, an Beholder builds really well into wizard. Since it's gestalt, you should have a lot of room in the build. Also, you should specify your using this(http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8501338&postcount=416)

I hope he's using this anyway. Don't know how well an actual beholder would work.

Analytica
2011-02-08, 05:48 PM
If you actually play a beholder, why not the beholder mage prestige class from Lords of Madness? It is a caster, true, but probably the most versatile and powerful caster class in the game. Spells like a sorcerer 20 in 10 levels, but you know all sorcerer/wizard spells, and can cast one spell of each level per round...

Loki_42
2011-02-08, 05:52 PM
I hope he's using this anyway. Don't know how well an actual beholder would work.
Oh, yeah, forgot to mention, I'm in his group.

Mystic Muse
2011-02-08, 05:54 PM
Oh, yeah, forgot to mention, I'm in his group.

Ah okay. Just wanted to be sure.

Mando Knight
2011-02-08, 06:25 PM
Isn't there a Beholder Monk or something? Or is my mind making stuff up for me?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-02-08, 07:27 PM
I'm going to agree that Beholder Mage would be the absolute best course of action if power is what you're after. You can mix in whatever else you want to make the character fit whatever feel you're going for.

As for a Ninja Beholder... Ninjas are typically good at martial arts, hand-to-hand fighting, jumping, climbing, sneaking, etc. Beholders lack the proper limbs to perform martial arts or hand-to-hand combat, they float around instead of jumping or climbing, the only thing you would have going for you is sneaking and you don't need any particular class to do that well. I'd suggest adding the Shadow Creature template also in LoM, to make a Beholder Mage who is as one with the shadows.

I'd go for something like Beholder HD 11// Shadow Creature LA +2/ Beholder Mage 9, and after that take another Beholder Mage, probably one level of Mindbender, and something like Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil or even Divine Oracle, along side of (Unarmed) Swordsage. Don't bother getting any strike maneuvers since you probably wouldn't even be able to use them, but boots and the teleportation abilities would be useful. Another option would be Shadowdancer, or maybe Arcane Trickster (via Assassin's Stance) and use ray spells to sneak attack. Any '+1 level of existing spellcasting class' levels you apply to Beholder Mage will add +2 caster level, but you could easily afford to lose some levels since your caster level will end up considerably higher than your character level anyway.

Obrysii
2011-02-08, 07:33 PM
Isn't there a Beholder Monk or something? Or is my mind making stuff up for me?

Making stuff up, but it's a fantastic idea. :smallsmile:

I've wanted to play a Spectator Beholderkin (about ECL 6) / monk for a long time.

Punching people with your eye stocks. Heck yeah!

Waker
2011-02-08, 08:19 PM
A gestalt beholder and you want to avoid the spellcaster route?
Beholder/Spellthief would be workable. You aren't a pure spellcaster, but since your rays can be used to deliver sneak attacks, you could steal spells from others.
Beholder/Factotum could be amusing. You get a fair boost to Int from the race, so it would work well with the class.
Beholder/Fighter isn't terrible. Use the fighter bonus feats to pump up your rays (Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization, Point Blank Shot yadda yadda). Between the Fighters BAB and the fact that rays are touch based, you would never miss.