PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk About Leadership

Talbot
2011-02-08, 07:47 PM
So, I'm building a character who I plan to have take either Dragon Cohort and/or Leadership. Problem is, Cha is not a huge priority for him (it's not negative or anything, but he's unlikely to have more than a +1 or so). Are there feats I can use to beef up my effective leadership score? After that, are there feats to improve my cohorts? In both cases, I'm planning to take Cohorts that help the whole party in supporting roles, as opposed to, you know, killer Druids or whatever.

If I take Dragon Cohort, I'm likely to advance the Dragon as a Marshal and/or Dragon Shaman to take advantage of his high Cha for auras.

If I take Leadership, I'm likely to take an Artificer cohort to craft/infuse for the party.

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-02-08, 09:42 PM
So, I'm building a character who I plan to have take either Dragon Cohort and/or Leadership. Problem is, Cha is not a huge priority for him (it's not negative or anything, but he's unlikely to have more than a +1 or so). Are there feats I can use to beef up my effective leadership score? After that, are there feats to improve my cohorts? In both cases, I'm planning to take Cohorts that help the whole party in supporting roles, as opposed to, you know, killer Druids or whatever.

If I take Dragon Cohort, I'm likely to advance the Dragon as a Marshal and/or Dragon Shaman to take advantage of his high Cha for auras.

If I take Leadership, I'm likely to take an Artificer cohort to craft/infuse for the party.

Off the top of my head, leadership specific feats include:

Assemble the Horde: +1 bonus on your Leadership score.
For each Follower who is above 1st level, gain an extra 1st level follower.

Class Champion: +1 bonus on your Leadership score.
Gain two additional Followers of the highest level available for your Leadership score, but they must be the
same class (i.e., Fighter, Cleric, Rogue, etc.) as you.

Close Cohort: Your Cohort may be one level below your level (instead of two below, as usual).

Ecclesiarch: You are respected by a church hierarchy.
Add Gather Information and Know (local) to your In-Class Skill List.
If you have the Leadership Feat, receive a +2 bonus on your Leadership score.

Eye For Talent: +1 bonus on your Leadership score.
You can replace Followers in 1d4 weeks (instead of the usual 1d4 months).

Fanatical Devotion: +1 bonus on your Leadership score.
You do not receive a penalty on your Leadership score when a Follower dies.

Improved Leadership: +2 bonus on your Leadership score.

Natural Leader: +2 bonus on your leadership score

That's all I got. Hope it helps.

Kobold Esq
2011-02-08, 09:48 PM
As long as your first cohort doesn't die, you shouldn't have to worry too much. At level 6, with 10 cha and no special modifiers, you'd have a 4 leadership score. Leadership score only matters when you FIRST recruit the cohort.

Now the trickier one will be Dragon Cohort, because when you take it at 9, you'll probably have a penalty of -2 for another cohort. (It technically says familiar, animal companion, special mount, but most DMs I know also include the presence of another cohort).

So this means that by level 9 you need to find a +3 in leadership score somehow to get that leadership score of 10 that you need to max out the ECL of your dragon cohort. This can come from some combination of charisma, the feats listed above, or the leadership chart bonuses.

ericgrau
2011-02-08, 09:59 PM
You only need 10 charisma at first. Later 12, then 14. By level 20 you need 18, but seriously you could do it with nothing by magic items.

Kobold Esq
2011-02-08, 10:03 PM
You only need 10 charisma at first. Later 12, then 14. By level 20 you need 18, but seriously you could do it with nothing by magic items.

You don't need to keep your leadership score up to keep a cohort from leaving. You only need it high to recruit the cohort. So you don't really NEED to keep it up at all.

Unless you care about followers. But if that was the case, I'd recommend a Thrallherd so you could have disposable ones.

Talbot
2011-02-08, 10:16 PM
I'm not yet sure I'd be taking both Leadership and Dragon Cohort, anyways (depends on party size, most likely)... but I wouldn't be taking either until a higher level, probably more like 12ish....

Any idea where some of those feats come from? THey look useful, but I'd like to be able to reference them for the DM's sake.

Kobold Esq
2011-02-08, 10:18 PM
I suspect many from Heroes of Battle, or whatever its called.

*.*.*.*
2011-02-09, 03:59 AM
There is a feat that lets you use strength for leadership instead of CHA

Volthawk
2011-02-09, 11:49 AM
I suspect many from Heroes of Battle, or whatever its called.

Actually, none of them are from Heroes of Battle. That book has Extra Followers, Improved Cohort, Inspirational Leadership and Practised Cohort (the last two deal with special rules in that book).

grarrrg
2011-02-09, 12:19 PM
Any idea where some of those feats come from? THey look useful, but I'd like to be able to reference them for the DM's sake.
Doesn't look good...

Dragon Mag:
Assemble the Horde:your Leadership score needs to be 4 HIGHER than your level, as stated you have 0-Cha Mod.
Class Champion: See "Assemble the Horde"
Close Cohort: Leadership Score needs only be 2 higher than your level.
Eye For Talent: See "Close Cohort"
Fanatical Devotion: LeadScore 3 higher than your level
Improved Leadership: Need a Cha of 15

Natural Leader: BINGO! Just need Leadership feat, and Char level 6, gives a straight +2 bonus to Leadership. Still in Dragon Mag though.

Ecclesiarch: Eberron Campaign Setting, need Knowledge Religion 6. Depending on your class, this may or may not be ideal.