PDA

View Full Version : Help with Epic 6 (link in first post)

Silus
2011-02-08, 11:09 PM
Link to what Epic 6 is for those that do not know (http://www.myth-weavers.com/wiki/index.php/Epic_6)

So, in a nutshell, I have 6 levels to work with for the entire campaign (wish the DM had told us this BEFORE we started playing, but oh well). So, seeing as most, if not all prestige classes are out, and since the DM runs a low magic (only Adept is accessible as a spellcasting class from what I understand) game, I require help on making a character that can survive, if not thrive with only 6 levels to work with.

I currently have a lvl 2 Catfolk Gunslinger (Pathfinder class).

Also, low wealth, and we started chained up in the Endless Maze in the Abyss.

Bibliomancer
2011-02-08, 11:14 PM
A level in swordsage (Tome of Battle) would be very useful in a lot of ways, I'm guessing.

It has high skill points, good saves, the maneuvers are some of the more powerful things left in a low-magic world (assuming factotum and artificer are also out), and its selection of maneuvers can be expanded indefinitely with repeated selection of the martial study feat, which gives you a new maneuver known (I'm AFB right now, so this feat might only be applicable to characters without levels in an initiating class, but the thought stands).

Apart from that, what would be good would depend on the composition of the party (ie, what you're missing), as well as whether or not the demons are limited to CR6 (ie, how overpowered you need to be).

Silus
2011-02-08, 11:18 PM
The only other two people are a Water Mephrit Monk and a Lantern Archon (dunno the class).

Gonna see about urging the Monk to take VoP.

I'll look into the Swordsage class though. Hopefully I can use it with guns...

Bibliomancer
2011-02-08, 11:30 PM
Er...even in E6 Vow of Poverty probably isn't a great idea, unless you do not anticipate receiving any magic items at all.

Unfortunately, most martial maneuvers are melee oriented, but I would still encourage you to look at it. There might be time to change your build, given that you already have a party member you is restricted to ranged combat (I get the feeling that a monk should not be left alone in melee). Even if you're stuck with gunslinger, many of the stances are worthwhile. For example, a 1st level Shadowhand stance grants you a 20% miss chance, constantly. Against highly challenging opponents, unoptimized AC is simply a 5% miss chance, and even if you're going up against swarms of small demons, reducing the number of hits you take by a fifth would certainly be worth considering.

Silus
2011-02-08, 11:38 PM
I'll look into it. I mean, I have a longsword for when the monsters get too close, so I suppose I could work with that...

And knowing this DM, we probably won't be seeing much in the way of magic items, or stores in which to buy them. He's got, like, this vendetta against magic or something. It's weird.

We the players have kinda gotten the shaft with this campaign.

veven
2011-02-08, 11:38 PM
VoP is actually worse in E6 than in a normal game. Once you hit level six you stop accruing bonuses but your friends will continue to accumulate wealth far into "epic" play.

Silus
2011-02-08, 11:39 PM
VoP is actually worse in E6 than in a normal game. Once you hit level six you stop accruing bonuses but your friends will continue to accumulate wealth far into "epic" play.

Fair enough I suppose...