PDA

View Full Version : Everlife: An attempt at an anti-undead template. (Comments?)

Ralasha
2011-02-09, 03:30 AM
Background: Be it through over-exposure to positive energy, being the target of a resurrection spell while still in the womb, and not yet dead (regardless of the condition of the mother), or some other incident, The base creature has gained the Ever-life template. This represents a condition of being more alive than the living.

Note: This may also be applied to a dead negative energy being which was exposed to an effect similar but the reverse of create undead upon its 'death'. In the latter case, the creature would be a form of positive energy based undead, following the standard rules for a living creature with the following effects: The creature would now be turned by rebuke attempts, just as a standard undead would be turned by a good aligned cleric's turning check. This follows the same standard rules. This creature would not gain the undead template, but instead the following template. Please note: Undead cannot be made into an ever-life creature, since they were originally a positive energy based life form, and have since been inherently corrupted.

Alignment: Any Good. Such an overflowing life force does not lend itself easily to the negative forces of the universe.
Hit Dice: same as base creature unless base creature was undead/negative energy being in which case use d12. If base creature advances by class, use class based hit dice.
Additional Note:Any spells or feats or effects which affect undead will have a reverse effect upon a creature with this template.
Ability Scores: Same as base creature.
Level advancement: Same as base creature or Undead with exceptions according to these rules.
50% Negative Energy Immunity. While the creature may be made more wholly of positive energy, instead of causing it more damage when effected by negative energy the excess life force infusing it instead creates a buffer against such negative effects.
Fast Healing equal to 1/3rd Hit Dice.
Positive Energy: The creature suffers no damage from positive energy based attacks.
Regeneration 1: Dies at -30 HP, remains stable to -10, remains conscious to negative constitution score. May re-attach limbs. The creature takes damage from all sources but negative energy normally.
Light Fortification: Due to the unusual, preternatural nature of the creature with this template, and its effectively being more alive than the living, it is more difficult to mortally wound.
Immunity: to Death effects and spells with the death descriptor. This does not stop the creature from dying normally.
Life span: doubled, aging halved, gestation while in the womb and birthing as normal. The mother will experience a painless, and effortless pregnancy and birthing process, as the healing energies from the child leak into and heal the mother and aid in the prevention of complications.
Immunity: to natural diseases.
Immunity: cannot be raised as undead upon death.
Magical Healing: effects are doubled naturally.
Natural Healing: is doubled.
Other effects: The creature may be treated as a first level paladin for lay on hands. If the creature gains lay on hands from another source it is treated as having the ability to use that ability an extra time per day.
The Glow: The creature glows as though it were giving off candle light, this applies the standard penalties for illumination when attempting stealth. This ability cannot be suppressed.
May be Rebuked: by turning checks, as an undead would be by a rebuke attempt.
LA: +3
CR: +2

Zaydos
2011-02-09, 03:41 AM
The hit die line is a little confusing. Do you mean by character class with d12 for racial hit dice? Or do you mean by base creature unless base creature was undead/negative energy being in which case use d12s?

Moving on as written it can't be killed except by suffocation (or a Wish spell). It has Regeneration 2 with no means of penetration which means all damage is non-lethal. You may want to include a means to penetrate the regeneration or just give it fast healing with the special caveat on when it dies.

Also 1st level paladin can't lay on hands. I get the meaning (1 x Charisma hp/day) but it needs a little rephrasing and is honestly too weak if based off of Character Level 1 except for really low CR creatures.

Except for the Regen I'd say this seems more like a +1 CR template than a +3.

Ralasha
2011-02-09, 03:45 AM
Or do you mean by base creature unless base creature was undead/negative energy being in which case use d12s?

your answer. Undead cannot be given the ever-life template since they are inherently corrupted. I will attempt to make that clear in the initial note section.

It has: Regeneration, a -30 death point, light fortification, fast healing, multiple immunities, an increased healing rate, and you say CR+1? Let me ask you, would you like to fight an Ever-Life Radiant Dragon with only a +1 to its CR?

CR dropped to +2, magical healing doubled.

Zaydos
2011-02-09, 10:30 AM
Actually I said except for the Regeneration because you do not define a way to overcome regeneration and impenetrable regeneration is a bad idea regardless of CR modification. Other than that it has one immunity that actually comes up in battle, and fast healing.

Ralasha
2011-02-09, 08:03 PM
I'll reduce it to regeneration 1. That should have the intended effect, or an approximation of it. Since it will allow all damage to pass through without being modified, more like the ****ty regen of a ring. All other effects will be left the same.

Zaydos
2011-02-09, 11:29 PM
I'll reduce it to regeneration 1. That should have the intended effect, or an approximation of it. Since it will allow all damage to pass through without being modified, more like the ****ty regen of a ring. All other effects will be left the same.

Regeneration 1 still modifies damage; if you intend it not to modify damage then it either functions as Fast Healing (heals 1 hp/round) or it heals only subdual damage? or heals 1 an hour?

If the intent is to be more like the Ring of Regeneration (which functions more like slow Fast Healing and allows regrowth of body parts) just give it the ability to regrow body parts.

Also undead with this template do they still not have Con stats and all their immunities?

Ralasha
2011-02-10, 12:33 AM
As is noted in the original article, undead cannot be given this template. This template is a form of life. One could say they have a direct or indirect link to the positive energy plane, and therefor have inherent healing and regenerative abilities, that of course, falls somewhat short; A better description would be, they have an over-abundance of life. Each individual with this template would effectively have more life force than any other mortal creature normally possess, thus they share characteristics with mortal and immortal creature types.

What you refer to as 'undead with this template' would not be dead. A vampire with this template would spontaneously combust. An undead would take constant damage, if however you are referring to something such as a Negasai brought back with this template, they would convert, keeping their original racial abilities, but all references to negative or positive energy would be reversed. This is explained in my original post.

I have added a further addendum to the regeneration feature for this template. They now take damage normally from all sources but negative energy. I will not explain that further under that article since it is already explained in a separate subsection of the same post.

Pyromancer999
2011-02-10, 02:55 PM
This seems like it should change the creature's type to Deathless.

Ralasha
2011-02-10, 04:10 PM
Deathless is an undead type. This is not an undead type, this is a life type. A type of life, a type of living creature, having no better name I have it the title of ever-life since there is no other logical choice but to create a working title, though I suppose I could call it Demi-Mortal.