PDA

View Full Version : OotS Miniatures

1chapelcredit
2011-02-09, 04:22 AM
Where do I start the petition? I was thinking about how much a set of Order of the Stick miniatures would improve the feel of the Adventure Game (if scaled correctly), when I realized how awesome they would be just to have around. Surely I'm not the first to suggest this. Is there anything in the works?

fox1212
2011-02-09, 04:38 AM
Oh, yes, yes, yes. I want a complete set, and the villains, in the right scale to play DnD. In fact, my next PC is gonna be a wizard - although I wasn't considering an evoker - and V would be just the one.

Where do we sign the petition?

Kaytara
2011-02-09, 08:21 AM
Dig around in Arts & Crafts. People have already been doing this as a hobby.

1chapelcredit
2011-02-09, 12:13 PM
A set that was a good size for D&D and the boardgame would be perfect. Maybe if they were about the size of the old Smurfs toys? I wish I had the talent to design my own, but since I don't, I suppose I'll just be promoting OotS to everyone I know; if it becomes popular enough, there's bound to be action figures eventually.

I wonder if The Giant has any plans for this type of collector's item in the future?

BarroomBard
2011-02-10, 09:38 PM
You could probably make some for your own pretty easily with a ping-pong ball, a spool of thread (preferably a wooden one), index cards, and two paper-clips.

Use a quarter for the base. Bend one paperclip into a, Omega shape, for the legs. Affix this to the bottom of the spool. Bend the other paperclip into whatever shape you want for the arms, and attach it to the top of the spool. Affix the ping-pong ball to the top, paint, and cut up the index card to add accessories.

It'll be taller than usual DnD scale, but should still fit in the spaces.

Dr.Epic
2011-02-10, 10:00 PM
Where do I start the petition? I was thinking about how much a set of Order of the Stick miniatures would improve the feel of the Adventure Game (if scaled correctly), when I realized how awesome they would be just to have around. Surely I'm not the first to suggest this. Is there anything in the works?

Yes, why use realistic looking miniatures when you can use miniatures that are 3D stick figures about characters in a comic that break the fourth wall. Surely this will make the games feel much more real!

Lvl45DM!
2011-02-10, 10:22 PM
Yes, why use realistic looking miniatures when you can use miniatures that are 3D stick figures about characters in a comic that break the fourth wall. Surely this will make the games feel much more real!

"Improve the feel"
not "Make the game feel more real".

I can see how you got confused. They do rhyme

Dr.Epic
2011-02-10, 10:42 PM
"Improve the feel"
not "Make the game feel more real".

I can see how you got confused. They do rhyme

Isn't the point of roleplaying trying to make it feel more real?

HappyBlanket
2011-02-10, 10:52 PM

That's one reason to roleplay, but many just play for the fun of it. Not that the two can't be in unison.

Mando Knight
2011-02-10, 10:52 PM

...For a loose definition of "real," perhaps...

Lvl45DM!
2011-02-10, 11:48 PM

For you maybe. The point of roleplaying is to...play...a role. :smallbiggrin:
Some people play Toons

Jay R
2011-02-11, 12:02 AM

Go find a thread on why people roleplay, or which rules are best for roleplaying, or any other related topic. (Shouldn't be hard -- there are thousands of them.)

If each person on that thread agrees with every other person on that thread, then you can talk about "the" point of roleplaying.

But if there is any disagreement among roleplayers about roleplaying, then there's more than one point to roleplaying, and you can only talk about the various points of roleplaying.

Jay R
2011-02-11, 12:04 AM
I will point out (regretfully) that stick arms and legs do not lend themselves well to the pewter medium of miniatures.

iowaforever
2011-02-11, 12:58 AM
if they did get these, i would use them for whatever random use miniatures could be used for, even if it has nothing whatsoever to do with gaming

MoonCat
2011-02-11, 01:10 AM
I would totally buy a pack containing the Order, Team Evil, The LG, and O-chul, Tarquin, Lien and some others. Also, a Mr. Scruffy. And I'd play with them. For hours.

1chapelcredit
2011-02-11, 01:17 AM

Sorry for the confusion; I actually meant that I would use them specifically for the OotS Adventure Game: The Dungeon of Dorukan. Using them for an RPG would be fun too, but I would probably only do that if I were doing a OotS campaign, or if I happened to be playing a chaotic evil Halfling Rogue. As it is, realism isn't really an issue for me in terms of RPG miniatures; right now I use mostly Lego Mini-figs.

You could probably make some for your own pretty easily with a ping-pong ball, a spool of thread (preferably a wooden one), index cards, and two paper-clips.

Use a quarter for the base. Bend one paperclip into a, Omega shape, for the legs. Affix this to the bottom of the spool. Bend the other paperclip into whatever shape you want for the arms, and attach it to the top of the spool. Affix the ping-pong ball to the top, paint, and cut up the index card to add accessories.

It'll be taller than usual DnD scale, but should still fit in the spaces.

Thanks for the advice! I hadn't thought of a ping pong ball for the heads; great idea. If they never get made professionally I'll have to try something like this; I'm glad several of the main characters are bald (Durkon's beard is going to be trouble; probably use molding putty for that).

I would totally buy a pack containing the Order, Team Evil, The LG, and O-chul, Tarquin, Lien and some others. Also, a Mr. Scruffy. And I'd play with them. For hours.

Agreed!

Lvl45DM!
2011-02-11, 03:14 AM
I will point out (regretfully) that stick arms and legs do not lend themselves well to the pewter medium of miniatures.

Plastic is more and more common these days

Cizak
2011-02-11, 03:58 AM

Of course, by shooting lightning out of your fingers.