PDA

View Full Version : RPG Pondering: Animate Objects Spell

Tetsubo 57
2011-02-09, 08:40 AM
I found myself in a conversation recently with a commenter on my YouTube channel. We were discussing whether animating mindless undead was an evil act. (I do not believe that it is an evil act.) The Animate Object spell came up during the exchange. The commenter feels that the following objects would not count as legitimate targets for an Animate Objects spell: a wooden chair, a fallen tree or a corpse.* That the spell would actually *fail* to function if cast on any of these objects. He went so far as to deny that they even qualify *as* objects. At which point I felt he had gone off the rails and begun to argue the semantics of the English language. A fascinating topic no doubt but not really germane to my video.

But it got me thinking. I consider these three objects to be legitimate targets for an Animate Object spell. I could be alone in this interpretation however. So I thought I would as others what they thought. Are there any objects that do not qualify in your game to be targeted by an Animate Objects spell? Spell text below for clarity.

It also got me thinking about the Animate Objects spell in general. I can think of few things more iconic than a spell caster animating laboratory equipment while an apprentice as part of his training. Yet the Spell is only usable by a Bard or Cleric and it’s 6th level. I’m thinking of either making it a 1st level spell that scales OR creating a series of spells 0 to 9th which would be usable by Sorcerers, Wizards, Bards and Clerics. I prefer the latter option.

“You imbue inanimate objects with mobility and a semblance of life. Each such animated object then immediately attacks whomever or whatever you initially designate.

An animated object can be of any non-magical material. You may animate one Small or smaller object or an equivalent number of larger objects per caster level. A Medium object counts as two Small or smaller objects, a Large object as four, a Huge object as eight, a Gargantuan object as sixteen, and a Colossal object as thirty-two. You can change the designated target or targets as a move action, as if directing an active spell.

This spell cannot animate objects carried or worn by a creature.
Animate objects can be made permanent with a permanency spell.”

*It appears that the commenter feels that the game rules themselves would make this call. That the person running the session would have no say in the matter.

Coidzor
2011-02-09, 09:05 AM
Weird. I'm pretty sure tables and chairs have been used as example animated objects by WOTC. And there's no real good reason for disallowing them as legitimate targets for the spell. One of the example illustrations is of a bloody candle stick with lit candles to make a reference to Beauty and the Beast, even...

I mean, I can see not wanting to add in that dimension of Turn Undead Gotcha into the game by having yet another monster to fake out clerics and such, which I believe I have seen proposed as an alternative to conventional undead. Or as a supplement to them for messing with pesky adventurers/clerics in opposing armies. But not banning chairs or thinking either of them were ineligible to be targeted by the spell by RAW. :smallconfused:

No real targets I can think of offhand that are banned, but it hasn't really seen much use in my group.

I'd support opening up this spell to wizards and sorcerers though. Never really made sense why not. And would be interested in seeing this proposed family of spells.

bokodasu
2011-02-09, 09:06 AM
Your commenter is crazypants. Is he claiming that chairs are animate or magical? (Or, I suppose, he could be claiming that the floor is a creature, and chairs are "carried" or "worn" by it.)

AugustNights
2011-02-09, 09:06 AM
I forget where it's stated directly but a Corpse is considered an inanimate object.