PDA

View Full Version : Why Ian Is So Paranoid: A Theory

ThePhantasm
2011-02-09, 08:57 AM
Why is Ian so paranoid? Why won't he leave the prison? I mean, what's the worst that could happen?

Maybe the reason why this is so puzzling is that we don't have all the facts yet. Ian has a secret, perhaps. Perhaps he is protecting something.

Maybe he fears something that we don't know about yet. Maybe we don't have all the information. Maybe he knows where Girard's gate is and fears that Tarquin will use Haley to get the info out of him. This is why he fears Elan so much.

Recall, Elan asked if Tarquin knew about Girard and Tarquin said "maybe, maybe not. I'll tell you after the feast." Tarquin himself doesn't know about Girard's location (and/or that of his gate) but he DOES have someone held prisoner who has that info: Ian.

Maybe when Tarquin said he had that information, he really meant he was going to try to get it out of Ian. This would explain a) why Ian hasn't been in the arena yet (Tarquin doesn't want him to die before he gets his info) and b) why Tarquin wasn't willing / able to give that info away right away to Elan.

Note: this does not mean that Tarquin actually plans to use Haley to get info from Ian, or that he even knows about their relation (he might not even know Ian's full name).

Recall Tarquin's eerie foreshadowing in #751 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0751.html), though. Tarquin has some plan regarding the future of the empire, and it involves Elan. Why? What is it? Does it have to do with the gate, or with finding Girard for some other reason? And why Elan? Because of his connection to Haley?

In #759 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0759.html) Elan attempts to bring up Ian in front of Tarquin twice, and Tarquin stops him both times. Why? To hide that he already knows about Ian?

Note that in 771 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0771.html) Ian's very first thought about why Elan is in the party is that Tarquin put him there "to gather information on us".

Potential problem with the theory: Ian has been imprisoned for years. Its doubtful he's been interrogated for so long.

Solution: Ian says he hasn't been in the arena for months, not years. It is possible that Tarquin did not find out that Ian had info until many years after Ian's imprisonment, and once he did find this out, he removed Ian from the arena activities a few months ago.

What do you think? I'm just trying to explain away this confusing plot turn of "Ian staying in jail."

Also keep in mind the roaches' idea that there are a lot of diff. factions seeking the gates, of which Tarquin and his buddies could definitely be one.

EDIT: It is also possible that Ian is wrong about Elan but also wrong about Geoff. It is possible that Geoff is the "bug" (keeping "an eye on him") and also the one trying to get the info about Girard's gate out of Ian. This may be why Tarquin is simply waiting, because Geoff seems close to success.

SPoD
2011-02-09, 09:07 AM
Why won't he leave the prison? I mean, what's the worst that could happen?

Tarquin catches Haley red-handed trying to spring Ian, then tortures her to death for her crime while Ian is forced to watch. That is the worst that could happen, in Ian's mind.

What do you think? I'm just trying to explain away this confusing plot turn of "Ian staying in jail."

A simpler explanation is that Ian cares more about his daughter's life than his own comfort.

ThePhantasm
2011-02-09, 09:14 AM
Tarquin catches Haley red-handed trying to spring Ian, then tortures her to death for her crime while Ian is forced to watch. That is the worst that could happen, in Ian's mind.

That is a possibility, yes. That's what my original interpretation was. It is just that reading through it, Ian seems constantly concerned about himself and how Tarquin is supposedly going to use Haley to get to him, i.e. that this is not all about Haley. Why would Tarquin do this anyways? He's lawful evil, he doesn't seem the type to torture people just for the sport of seeing Ian's discomfort. He would want something from Ian. Plus, your explanation suggests that Ian and Tarquin have a history anyways. Otherwise why would Tarquin waste his time with a feeble peasant old man?

There's a lot there that doesn't make sense, that's what I'm trying to make sense of.

P.S. a lot can be easily explained by just a simple "Ian is crazy after so long in prison." I even just gave that explanation in another thread: This is the guy who was eating his own neck skin cells, folks. He's been in prison for awhile. He's incredibly paranoid. He's hellbent on living up to his wife's last words by staying there to save the other prisoners. So... what exactly were you expecting?

But I'm trying to work out a way in which Ian could not be totally crazy, or at least a reason for his craziness... i.e. he has a secret keeping him paranoid.

SPoD
2011-02-09, 09:21 AM
Why would Tarquin do this anyways? He's lawful evil, he doesn't seem the type to torture people just for the sport of seeing Ian's discomfort. He would want something from Ian. Plus, your explanation suggests that Ian and Tarquin have a history anyways. Otherwise why would Tarquin waste his time with a feeble peasant old man?

He wouldn't. Ian means nothing to Tarquin, but Tarquin means everything to Ian. Because Ian has gone insane.

In other words, I am not suggesting for one moment that Tarquin would take the time to torture Haley to death in that manner. I am suggesting that Ian is crazy and THINKS that Tarquin is out to get him--even though he already has him. Your error is in assuming that Ian is capable of rationally assessing what Tarquin is or is not likely to do, and that's almost certainly not the case.

There's a lot there that doesn't make sense, that's what I'm trying to make sense of.

Again, "Ian has gone insane," really covers most of the bases here.

I'll also point out that the Starshine bloodline seems to have an inherited tendency toward schizophrenia. Remember what happened to Haley with the aphasia and then the Personifications?

EDIT: You edited in your agreement with my "He's crazy" hypothesis before I finished writing, but the point still stands so I'll leave it.

Burner28
2011-02-09, 09:22 AM
That is a possibility, yes. That's what my original interpretation was. It is just that reading through it, Ian seems constantly concerned about himself and how Tarquin is supposedly going to use Haley to get to him, i.e. that this is not all about Haley. Why would Tarquin do this anyways? He's lawful evil, he doesn't seem the type to torture people just for the sport of seeing Ian's discomfort. He would want something from Ian.

Wait since when was doing evil for the sake of soing evil incomp[atible with lawful evil?:smallconfused:

Leecros
2011-02-09, 10:34 AM
Wait since when was doing evil for the sake of soing evil incomp[atible with lawful evil?:smallconfused:

I don't think Tarquin would do anything unless he got something out of it. Doing evil for the sake of doing evil is something Xykon would do. Tarquin is more of an opportunist. If he didn't get anything out of it then he probably wouldn't do it.

Shale
2011-02-09, 11:13 AM
That's true as far as it goes, but Tarquin is willing to do some pretty horrific stuff for only marginal gain. If he sees any benefit at all in "getting to" Ian - and he probably doesn't, as we've seen no indication that Ian is anything but One Of Those Boring Prisoners Who Can't Fight Properly to him - then he's have no qualms about torturing his family.

theNater
2011-02-09, 02:27 PM
Recall Tarquin's eerie foreshadowing in #751 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0751.html), though. Tarquin has some plan regarding the future of the empire, and it involves Elan. Why? What is it? Does it have to do with the gate, or with finding Girard for some other reason? And why Elan? Because of his connection to Haley?
Tarquin pretty clearly lays out what role he expects Elan to play in the future of the empire in #763 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0763.html). Ian, Girard, and the gates do not seem to be involved.

King of Nowhere
2011-02-09, 06:10 PM
IIn a world based on d&d, for a resourceful enough organization (the EoB certainly qualifies) torturing prisoners or cheating them somehow to get informations is completely pointless. Just use mind domination.
To be precise, cast all the will debuffer you can on the subject, cast several zones of truth on him, and several mind dominations as well. The first question will be "are you mind dominated?", and the likelyhood he passed all those saves are close enough to zero. Just to avoid him faking a mind domination to give you false info.

Anyway, my point is that if Tarquin wanted some information out of Ian, he would have already gotten it.
And also the idea that he wants to get Haley makes little sense: if Tarquin wanted to get Haley, he wouldn't need an excuse to arrest her.
So, maybe "crazy" is a bit too much, but I don't think Ian is completely ok.

Orzel
2011-02-09, 06:41 PM
I think Tarquin knows Ian is a decent level rogue.

Ian did "escape" a few times.

Tarquin probably think Ian just has no useful info and killing him would risk way too many soldiers as Ian could probably kill many of them.

And Ian knows this.

Ian is paranoid because sneaky and smart people are paranoid.

Herald Alberich
2011-02-09, 07:19 PM
I think Tarquin knows Ian is a decent level rogue.

Ian did "escape" a few times.

Tarquin probably think Ian just has no useful info and killing him would risk way too many soldiers as Ian could probably kill many of them.

And Ian knows this.

Ian is paranoid because sneaky and smart people are paranoid.

It's hard to kill many soldiers when you're a rogue with nothing to your name but a loincloth. (Monk, on the other hand ...)

Edit: Ok, he's hidden some lockpicks somewhere (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0770.html), and might have a shiv shank pointy bit of metal. That's still nothing against a squad of armored soldiers.

Tarquin hasn't killed Ian because he's still under the impression he could get a big pile of cash by ransoming him. That's all.

Orzel
2011-02-09, 07:30 PM
It's hard to kill many soldiers when you're a rogue with nothing to your name but a loincloth. (Monk, on the other hand ...)

Edit: Ok, he's hidden some lockpicks somewhere (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0770.html), and might have a shiv shank pointy bit of metal. That's still nothing against a squad of armored soldiers.

Tarquin hasn't killed Ian because he's still under the impression he could get a big pile of cash by ransoming him. That's all.

I've killed so many first and second level guards with a naked Rogue7.
The hardest part after getting a weapon you are proficient is finding someway to heal when you roll bad.

Prowl
2011-02-10, 12:08 AM
Kill enough guards and one is bound to drop a few stimpaks.

Oh wait...

ThePhantasm
2011-02-10, 05:52 AM
Tarquin pretty clearly lays out what role he expects Elan to play in the future of the empire in #763 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0763.html). Ian, Girard, and the gates do not seem to be involved.

The strip you cite is all about Tarquin's name being immortalized, whereas the strip I cited speaks of the "destiny of this nation." I guess there could be a connection there but I don't think its as clear as you indicate...

the_tick_rules
2011-02-10, 12:50 PM
He's a thief and have you seen where they live? That's answer enough.

Haggis
2011-02-10, 01:56 PM
It's how's his mind works. You don't trust people, you don't trust coincidences.

In his mind tarquin thinks him as a source of income, Yes he escapes, but that not worth the lost of money, so he safe.

Then hailey comes hand in hand with elan tarquin's son. That can't be coincidence. The only possible explanation is tarquin suspects him. Now suspect or not he still worth keeping, but he escapes then elan will have proof he trying to overthrow tarquin. That happens he no longer a source of income, he a threat. And Threats will be eliminated.

theNater
2011-02-10, 10:26 PM
The strip you cite is all about Tarquin's name being immortalized, whereas the strip I cited speaks of the "destiny of this nation." I guess there could be a connection there but I don't think its as clear as you indicate...
I see the connection most strongly in panels 7 and 9. Putting these quotes back to back really sells it:
"If someone conquers an empire and rules it with an iron fist for thirty long years, and then some paladin breaks into his throne room and kills him..."
"As long as I go into this accepting the price I may eventually pay, then I win-no matter what actually happens."

The plan is for Tarquin to absorb the rest of the continent. Then he rules it with an iron fist until Elan returns for the final confrontation. The destiny of the nation rests on Elan at that time: if he succeeds, the people are freed from tyranny; if he fails, they are condemned to live under despotic rule for the rest of Tarquin's natural life.

Leecros
2011-02-11, 02:33 PM
You don't trust people, you don't trust coincidences.

So wait.
Ian is to OotS as Gregory House is to House MD...

They should really meet, that is an amusing thought.

grimbold
2011-02-11, 03:16 PM
this theory of ian knowing where the gate is intrigues me
they could have met as there is no evidence that girald is dead

ThePhantasm
2011-02-12, 05:02 AM
Everyone is raising great points. The theory is certainly not flawless. For some reason I just feel like Ian will know about the gate somehow, and that breaking him out + learning about the gate will be tied together. Something in my gut says Tarquin won't be talkin' about where Girard is, even if he knows, so it'll be Ian that tells them. I dunno...

theNater
2011-02-12, 12:42 PM
Everyone is raising great points. The theory is certainly not flawless. For some reason I just feel like Ian will know about the gate somehow, and that breaking him out + learning about the gate will be tied together. Something in my gut says Tarquin won't be talkin' about where Girard is, even if he knows, so it'll be Ian that tells them. I dunno...
I want to make clear that I find the theory that Ian knows something about the gate to be reasonable, and if true, it makes Ian's paranoia much more understandable.

I just don't think we have any evidence that Tarquin knows that Ian has such information. Which doesn't hurt the main theory significantly, because what's important is whether Ian thinks Tarquin knows Ian knows something.

the_tick_rules
2011-02-12, 02:40 PM
what's important is whether Ian thinks Tarquin knows Ian knows something.

my head hurts.