PDA

View Full Version : What enhancment "bonus" should I give this ability?

Gnoman
2011-02-09, 10:14 AM
The idea is a bonus that reduces the feective enhancment level of an item by giving it a severe drawback.

Personal

An item with this ablilty only works for one specific individual. To anyone else, it is simply a masterwork item of the same type. Merchants will only ever buy it at the masterwork price.

A general idea I'm working on. It shouldn't make WBL too meaningless, as any such item would have to be made by the party or specially commissioned. It also gives me a lot more leeway with my opponents, as their gear will be somewhat useless for the party, so I can up their equipment to fine-tune them to the Party's level.

Tyndmyr
2011-02-09, 10:36 AM
I dislike it. It's like the custom item creation cost reducers. They are bad.

Oh look, I can get an item that works on me, and if someone uses it against me, it doesn't work! And this special ability GIVES me money.

I will get it on everything.

Diarmuid
2011-02-09, 12:30 PM
Agreed that this is not a great idea for the reasons already given.

bokodasu
2011-02-09, 12:41 PM
I dunno - seems to me like it should even out when you're going to be selling all those fleshgrinding flaming burst +4 longswords your opponents were using on you for 315gp each.

If I understand correctly, that is - your players will still be paying for enhancements, just at a lower, "personal" rate? I don't really have any good advice on what that should be; maybe look at the artificer and see if there's something useful there?

Keld Denar
2011-02-09, 12:42 PM
Here's a relevant discussion (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5153602#post5153602) from a couple years ago. Check it out, but don't post in it, as necrothreadermancery is not allowed. Any comments on that thread should be made here.

Basically, WBL is a gauge, rather than a limit. Its ok to exceed or be below WBL, so long as the DM is aware of this, and by how much. A group of PCs at WBL should be able to handle EL +1-2 encounters regularly, with appropriate resource expenditures. A group of PCs under WBL by about 20-30% is gonna have a tougher time with EL +1-2 encounters, and should probably be challenged by EL +0-1 encoutners. A group of PCs above WBL 20-30% is likewise stronger, able to handle EL +2/3s with little trouble.

This depends a lot on optimization level as well, as a higher op group can make more happen with less, but for most average parties, it holds pretty accurately.

So even if your wealth total ends up showing say...36,000g, the WBL for an 8th level character, you effectively have say...49,000g, the WBL for a 9th level character, your power level is somewhere between that of an 8th and a 9th level character, and challenges fit for most 8th level characters won't be as challenging for you due to your increased cash flow.