PDA

View Full Version : Shadows of the Collossus [IC]

Skjaldbakka
2011-02-09, 10:38 AM
Risen from the depths of the abyss is the largest monster to ever walk the earth, Progenitus. It's five heads reach up above the clouds. The last time it appeared, it was the end of the world, but this time... this time we will stop it.

Enter the Tarrasque... (and friends).

OOC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186729)

http://www.wizards.com/mtg/images/daily/stf/stf22_progenitus.jpg

Re'ozul
2011-02-09, 11:49 AM
The living Light has been here for a long time. Mandated to heal and protect. Given power to mend and defend. Its light shining for centuries. Yet Progenitus predates even the ones that came before it. A being this powerful could very easily spell the death of all that is and ever could be. It is magnificent, that observation can never be challenged. But it is also outside of all that shoul be allowed. It would be one without the many, content in its lonesome existence. A sad possibility.
It is not to be allowed to come to pass. The death of all for the life and potential of one is not a trade that can be accepted. It must be stopped.
Perhaps it will triumph, perhaps Progenitus will extinguish that which brings Life. Yet it will fight, for as Progenitus obscures the sun, the might of its being blots out the future, of all others.

Couldn't resist the ReBoot joke.

Skjaldbakka
2011-02-09, 12:04 PM
Well said. Everyone gets a surprise round automatically, then roll initiative for round 1.

Toliudar
2011-02-09, 01:03 PM
Facing off against the largest creature in recorded history...some of the smallest. Next to the Living Light is the living ghost, Gloria. Her already emaciated form shrunk further by magic, and shrouded in such protections as she is able to muster against such an opponent. She smiles at the others gathered to battle the creature.

"With which head would you like to start?"

Initiative: [roll0]

I'm assuming that we've, um, seen it coming, so can have buffs prepared as shown on my sheet.

I can offer an extended Haste as a group buff.

Is Progenitus currently moving, or just hanging out?
How far away from it are we at present?
Are there any magic auras on Progenitus that Greater Magic Aura would pick up?

Skjaldbakka
2011-02-09, 01:35 PM
OOC Notes:

Terrain:
Progenitus towers over a mountain range to the east of it, and to its west is a wide open plains.

Size/Reach:
Progenitus has a space of 200,000 feet, and an equal reach (although it can't take AoO against such small creatures as yourselves).

Precasts:
You can have anything that is minutes/level or longer duration cast before the fight begins.

Auras:
Progenitus has an overpowering aura, but no detectable spell effects.

What Progenitus is doing: Moving out of a crack in the earth that leads to some terrible dimension of monsters.

Lizard Lord
2011-02-09, 01:47 PM
Gorum grins as he stares at monstrous beauty that is Progenitus. He will be riding on Regurdar if the mighty Terrasque will let him.

He has hunted lots of giant beast before, but this will be the greatest hunt ever. The survivors will have the greatest trophy to ever hang on a wall and be immortalized forever in stories.

Plus they will save the world, so that's a good bonus.

Gorum tries to think if he knows anything about this beastie and if any head is more important then the rest. Knowledge nature check to try and identify it. [roll0]

Toliudar
2011-02-09, 01:48 PM
Wow. I think that it just sunk in how big this thing is. We're about to attack a creature whose facing is most easily measured in MILES.

About how fast is it moving?

Skjaldbakka
2011-02-09, 03:03 PM
Very slowly, relative to its size...
1,620feet. It appears to be moving slowly, climbing up from the abyss (single move each round).

re: knowledge check

not high enough for specific information, but you can identify its type as magical beast, and that it is similar to a unimaginably titanic hydra.

KingOfLaughter
2011-02-09, 03:09 PM
"Let's rip this bugger to more shreds then a angry tornado monster covered in millions of sharp swords could rip a human into shreds, and then let's eat it..."

Well... I plan on biting, and using every magic ability my guy has... Also init
[roll0]

Skjaldbakka
2011-02-09, 03:14 PM
Remember, you all get a surprise round automatically against it, and can be adjacane to it if you want to be. Please specify which direction you are attacking from (underneath, above, North/South/East/West). Also keep in mind that moving around this creature's space withouth teleportation may take a long time to do.

Toliudar
2011-02-09, 04:41 PM
If it's moving 1,620 feet per round using just a move action, it's going to be hard to keep up with it without teleportation effects. This could be tricky.

Also, King of Laughter: any chance you could NOT use the roar ability? Progenitus isn't flying anyway, and I will be. I suspect I'm not alone in that.

Assuming that she doesn't need to use her surprise round action to get out of the creature's way, Gloria uses it to cast Haste on the group. Her first round's action will be to cast Etherealness.

KingOfLaughter
2011-02-09, 05:02 PM
If I find the need is great enough I'm gunna use it, but for now, I won't.

Can I use plane shift on it? DC 38.
Hoping to shift it to the planes of hell...
>=]

If not then going to use eruption under it.
Reflex save DC 38 to escape the area in time.

Skjaldbakka
2011-02-09, 05:13 PM
Possibly, but you would need to tear through it's hide to effect it directly, so I guess you use Eruption.

Necroticplague
2011-02-10, 05:53 AM
"What the-... Oh, must have been our resident dinosaur."

<Lets try going for the central head, it seems like it would be the most important. By the way, would you mind hopping into this box? It seems like we could both benefit from it.>."

Actions if yes:
I scoop Gloria up, and place her in my folding boat (currently in box form), with the lid up so she can do whatever(move action), then activate my threefold mask of the chimera(gain move action), move 60 ft up the side of Progenitus (move action), and use Ectoplasmic Strand to link myself and the square of skin next to me (standard action).
If no:
I activate my threefold mask of the chimera(gain move action), move 120 ft up the side of Progenitus (double move action), and use Ectoplasmic Strand to link myself and the square of skin next to me (standard action).

Toliudar
2011-02-10, 09:28 AM
Gloria holds up a hand to politely wave off the kind offer of a ride closer to the beast.
"Thanks, but I've got my own ride, so to speak. And...central head sounds great."

yldenfrei
2011-02-10, 10:10 AM
Having finished her invocations to Odin asking for blessings to the party, Randgrys faces her allies and hands them each a small silver trinket the shape of a feather, "Friends, accept this and keep it with you at all times," she then smiles, "for luck."

Her hands and feet enshrouded with shadowy energy, Randgrys flies alongside Ukctar, alighting onto the titanic creature's hide. One hand holding her large halberd, she secures herself with the other hand and both feet, tucking in her wings the best she could. "Very much like an insect," she chuckles.

Precast:
Conviction, Mass (+4 Morale bonus Saving Throw) 100 mins

Initiative Roll: [roll0] +5

Surprise Round:
Given away Randgrys Insignia 6 pcs (Move)
Dance of the Spider (Shadow Hand) (Stance 3) (swift)
Fly 90 ft up landing at Progenitus' hide (Move)

Skjaldbakka
2011-02-11, 11:26 PM
Round 1:

Progenitus seems to detect the presence of the Tarrasque, and tries to spot it. Once it finds him, it tries to tear into him with a massive jaw.

[roll0] Initiative
[roll1] Spot
[roll2] To Hit
[roll3] Damage (pierces DR/magic and /epic)

Toliudar
2011-02-12, 12:34 AM
Seeing the savagery of Progenitus' attack, but also knowing the Tarrasque's resilience, Gloria waves farewell to the others (at least, those who can see the ethereal), for the time being, and disappears even more than she did last round.

Thanks to arcane spellsurge, Gloria will be casting two spells each round.

Spell 1: Teleport, aiming at a point about 300' inside the central neck, close to the body. Accuracy [roll0]

Spell 2: Twinned transdimensional Avasculate. Since everything for thousands of feet around me is the target, I'm not sure if I need to roll to hit, but just in case: [roll1] [roll2]. Fort save DC 30 or stunned 1 round.

Lizard Lord
2011-02-12, 03:21 AM
From on top of the Terrasque, but still unnoticed by Progenitus, the half-ogre Gorum will launch his mithral grappling hook at the head that attacked his ride.

If it secures Gorum will swing down and secure himself to the monster's head.

Use Rope to secure the grappling hook: [roll0] vs DC 10+1 for every 20 feet Gorum has to throw the grappling hook. Possibly more due to the fact that I'm trying to secure it to a living moving thing, even if it doesn't notice.

Not really sure what sort of check will be needed to stay on Progenitus, so I will leave that up to you.

Skjaldbakka
2011-02-12, 11:13 AM
I'm afraid you can't teleport inside another creature, no matter the difference in size. If you could, you could do things like Teleport Object a pebble into someone's throar, or water into their lungs. You could fly into its throat through its mouth, however.

Toliudar
2011-02-12, 11:57 AM
But I'm not inside the creature. I'm on the ethereal plane. If ethereal creatures couldn't pass through creatures on the material plane, wouldn't the following passage say that "only force effects and living creatures can affect ethereal creatures"?

Even if a creature on the Material Plane can see an ethereal creature the ethereal creature is on another plane. Only force effects can affect the ethereal creatures. If, on the other hand, both creatures are ethereal, they can affect each other normally.

Skjaldbakka
2011-02-12, 12:08 PM
I forgot you were ethereal, actually. Transdimensional spell doesn't say anything about letting spells cast by ethereal creatures affect creatures on the material, though. (moving conversation to OOC thread).

KingOfLaughter
2011-02-12, 02:05 PM
The doesn't even blink as the bite hits it, shrugging, and laughing, although crudely.