PDA

View Full Version : Fleshraker Poison Advancement?

Obraxxus
2011-02-09, 11:00 AM
Hello all, new poster so hopefully this isn't a stupid, or already answered question...

Playing a lvl 12 Druid (first time 3.5er here, and haven't played sense pre-3.0)...basically I want to get a new pet and tried my best to read up on the process on my own, so, here is what I have so far: if the Fleshraker gains 12 HD, and becomes a lvl 16 mob (lvl 4 base creature, +8 HD from Druid lvl 12, +2 HD from Awaken spl, +1 HD from Warbeast, and ...hmmm...could have sworn there was another +1 HD from something...? Damn, of well...) Anyways, my feats are Spl Focus (Conj), Augmented Summoning, Companion Spellbound, Natural Bond, Natural Spell, and (idk, need 1 more, maybe Imbued Summoning unless someone tells me something better?)

Now I think I have all the + this's and - thats done properly from lvl advancement and size and all the other nifty little things that goes along with it, but does the poison from the Fleshraker also improve? I know i can get the Poison DC into the mid twenties, and I found the super Venomfire spell, but does the actual Fleshraker Poison ever do more than 1D6/1D6 Dex when you advance the Companion anywhere from tripling to quadrupling the original HD of the Fleshraker?

It just doesn't seem logical to me that a run-of-the-mill common trash mob lvl 4 HD Fleshraker in the wild would have the same toxicity as a lvl 16 HD magically enhanced buffed-to-the-hilt Fleshraker-O-Doom!!! Am I totally off the mark here? I cant find anything anywhere on poison advancements, but there are a kazillion advancements listed for other types of monsters (for example, a dragon's BW becoming more potent via size and HD). Any input, or general advice for a 3.5 newb, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Obraxxus

P.S.- Would Imbued Summoning work on my Animal Companion? The text from the Players Handbook reads "If a druid releases her companion from service, she may gain a new one by performing a ceremony requiring 24 uninterrupted hours of prayer. This ceremony can also replace an animal companionthat has perished." I convinced my GM that the 24 Hr Ceremony Process was indeed a form of a Summons...that being said, and the GM agreeing for all intents and purposes, with Imbued, would that Buff only last the original duration, or would that buff be present as long as i have my "summoned" companion? The feat does NOT specify anything about the duration...this is most likely due to most buffs outlasting a regular Summon spl time frame? (IDK, but an as-long-as-he-is-with-me Gr Mag Fangs would be nice...or any of the low duration better buffs.)

Zaydos
2011-02-09, 11:06 AM
If you awaken an animal companion it stops being an animal companion and loses the benefits of being an animal companion.

That note out of the way the Poison DC is 10 +1/2 HD +Con modifier + racial bonuses. The poison damage doesn't change.

On the Imbued Summons question I'd say no, but I'm not 100% sure.

Obraxxus
2011-02-09, 11:15 AM
[QUOTE=Zaydos;10338700]If you awaken an animal companion it stops being an animal companion and loses the benefits of being an animal companion.

Even if the companion in question was with me for weeks/months/years pre-Awaken? The way I was reading the spl description was an Awakened creature cant become a Companion, but if the creature has been with you for an extended period of time before the spell is cast, I find that as a loop-hole...and the DM agreed to the matter after a very convincing (and long-winded) argument on the matter...so hopefully he doesnt see that and change his mind. ;)

Zaydos
2011-02-09, 11:36 AM
Even if the companion in question was with me for weeks/months/years pre-Awaken? The way I was reading the spl description was an Awakened creature cant become a Companion, but if the creature has been with you for an extended period of time before the spell is cast, I find that as a loop-hole...and the DM agreed to the matter after a very convincing (and long-winded) argument on the matter...so hopefully he doesnt see that and change his mind. ;)

Never said it was my favorite rule; although having had a high level druid NPC in a party I DM'd I realized why it was there. It made me sad, though (he was a DMPC :smallredface: in my defense the party wouldn't let me write him out; he was actually one character's best friend, and the closest thing another character had to a friend).

Greenish
2011-02-09, 12:16 PM
Even if the companion in question was with me for weeks/months/years pre-Awaken? The way I was reading the spl description was an Awakened creature cant become a Companion, but if the creature has been with you for an extended period of time before the spell is cast, I find that as a loop-hole...and the DM agreed to the matter after a very convincing (and long-winded) argument on the matter...so hopefully he doesnt see that and change his mind. ;)Well, it can choose to hang around, but as an NPC and siphoning it's own share of the XP, unless you took Leadership and made it your cohort.

Oh, and it gains no benefits from the druid's level since it's no longer Animal Companion, just an NPC who hangs with the druid.

Also, arguing that your AC is a summoned creature is a bad tactic, since that means it's easy to render useless with low-level spells (Protection from Evil, say), and can be removed with others.

And make sure your DM knows what he's doing letting you run around as a druid with fleshraker and summoning feats.