PDA

View Full Version : Any chance Hideous Blow can be quickened?

Scarlet-Devil
2011-02-09, 01:55 PM
'Cause that would be pretty cool... It just doesn't make much sense. :smallfrown:

Cog
2011-02-09, 02:28 PM
Sure. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#quickenSpellLikeAbility)

Better for Eldritch Glaive, of course.

Edit: note that you need to be careful what kind of Essence you're putting on it. Anything with too high a level will bump it over the threshold, though that limit rises with your own level.

The Cat Goddess
2011-02-09, 02:30 PM
Just note that Hideous Blow is technically a separate "spell-like ability" from Eldritch Blast.

So you can't just get Quickened Eldritch Blast and say it applies to your Hideous Blow.

Cog
2011-02-09, 02:39 PM
Just note that Hideous Blow is technically a separate "spell-like ability" from Eldritch Blast.
Not exactly. Hideous Blow is a blast shape, which means it's a nonaction that modifies your Eldritch Blast if you choose to use it. Quicken Spell-Like Ability: Eldritch Blast would allow you to make a quickened Hideous Blow if your CL is high enough, and would count against your three uses of quickened Eldritch Blasts. Which, alas, means you can't take the feat separately for more uses, either.

nedz
2011-02-09, 02:56 PM
Hideos Blow is a whopping level 1 Invokation.
That means you have to be a level 10 Warlock to Quicken it with Quicken SLA (Eldritch Blast) 3/day
Higher level Shapes would require you to be a higher level Warlock: there is a table in the MM.

I'm not sure its your best option though.

Scarlet-Devil
2011-02-09, 10:19 PM
I'm not sure its your best option though.

Not the best option, no. But I like that people seem to think it would work (obviously what makes it weird is the fact that it requires a physical attack); the idea is that if it works then it allows you to pull a PUNCH-KICK-PUNCH-PUNCH(ultra combo activated)-SUPER MEGA HELLFIRE KICK!!!!!

No brains
2011-02-10, 02:48 PM
Um... dire crap.

Eldrich blast is a spell-like ability that equals one half your level. That means as you level, so does eldrich blast. THAT means that you can never quicken eldrich blast.:smallfrown: Your only hope is to take a single level of warlock and advance as another caster class until you reach 8th to quicken it (or go as high as warlock12 and then get to somethin'else8).

D'oh! I would have loved this too...

Keld Denar
2011-02-10, 02:56 PM
Check the CArc errata. They fixed that problem. EB is now level 1 or the level of any blast shape invocation applied to it, whichever is greater.

Scarlet-Devil
2011-02-10, 03:16 PM
Check the CArc errata. They fixed that problem. EB is now level 1 or the level of any blast shape invocation applied to it, whichever is greater.

Yes, and thank Crom for that!

No brains
2011-02-10, 03:36 PM
Errata is broken.:smallsmile:

Claudius Maximus
2011-02-10, 03:40 PM
Errata actually usually improves things it revises, IMO. Divine Metamagic is more sane for example.

Though there are a few exceptions (ToB errata... :smallsigh:).

dextercorvia
2011-02-10, 03:43 PM
Not the best option, no. But I like that people seem to think it would work (obviously what makes it weird is the fact that it requires a physical attack); the idea is that if it works then it allows you to pull a PUNCH-KICK-PUNCH-PUNCH(ultra combo activated)-SUPER MEGA HELLFIRE KICK!!!!!

It's not so weird. A quickened touch spell will still let you make the touch attack, or touch 6 willing creatures as a swift action.

true_shinken
2011-02-10, 03:58 PM

It works. 3/day, you can... punch twice a round.
You could just take Eldritch Claws and do the same all day without taking a crappy shape.

nedz
2011-02-10, 04:19 PM

Or
PUNCH-KICK-PUNCH-PUNCH-KICK-Quickened Eldritch Blast
without spending one of your precious Invokation slots on Hideos Blast.

Scarlet-Devil
2011-02-10, 06:44 PM
Or
PUNCH-KICK-PUNCH-PUNCH-KICK-Quickened Eldritch Blast

True enough, I guess we have some options :smallbiggrin:. How'd you get five attacks though? :smalltongue:

It works. 3/day, you can... punch twice a round.
You could just take Eldritch Claws and do the same all day without taking a crappy shape.

Nonono, didn't you see my combo? We're throwing in three or four punches/kicks before finishing him with a SUPER MEGA HELLFIRE KICK!!! Though it's true that you could also do a DOUBLE ELDRITCH PUNCH!!, if you were so inclined.

true_shinken
2011-02-11, 12:21 PM
Nonono, didn't you see my combo? We're throwing in three or four punches/kicks before finishing him with a SUPER MEGA HELLFIRE KICK!!! Though it's true that you could also do a DOUBLE ELDRITCH PUNCH!!, if you were so inclined.
Well, eldritch claw still does it better. :smallamused:
With claw + glaive, you could quicken the glaive, hitting the target with your iterative attacks, then you 5-foot step into range, activate eldritch claws, and deal unarmed strike damage plus eldritch blast damage... twice.

nedz
2011-02-11, 02:48 PM
Or PUNCH-KICK-PUNCH-PUNCH-KICK-Quickened Eldritch Blast

True enough, I guess we have some options :smallbiggrin:. How'd you get five attacks though? :smalltongue:

Erm, the same way you did.:smallcool:
Quickened Eldritch Blast/Hideous Blow wouldn't grant you an extra attack either.:smalltongue:

Scarlet-Devil
2011-02-11, 03:04 PM
Erm, the same way you did.:smallcool:
Quickened Eldritch Blast/Hideous Blow wouldn't grant you an extra attack either.:smalltongue:

Well, it wouldn't grant you an extra attack, other than the one it grants you :smallamused:. But yeah, I was just kind've throwing a haste effect in there (ah, but snap-kick would work too I guess); the only way I can think of to get five physical attacks as a Warlock (other than snap-kick) is to multi-class, probably take a 2 level dip in Monk for the unarmed skills, flurry of blows, evasion, +3 to all saves, bonus feats, etc, but that has the unfortunate side effect of reducing warlock abilities.

true_shinken
2011-02-11, 03:13 PM
Well, it wouldn't grant you an extra attack, other than the one it grants you :smallamused:. But yeah, I was just kind've throwing a haste effect in there (ah, but snap-kick would work too I guess); the only way I can think of to get five physical attacks as a Warlock (other than snap-kick) is to multi-class, probably take a 2 level dip in Monk for the unarmed skills, flurry of blows, evasion, +3 to all saves, bonus feats, etc, but that has the unfortunate side effect of reducing warlock abilities.

Elan Warlock with Improved Rapidstrike and eldritch claws has 5 attacks under haste (8 attacks with haste, Improved Rapidstrike and Quickened Eldritch Glaive).

nedz
2011-02-11, 04:02 PM

I hadn't interpreted it that way, but perhaps you are right ?
A normal Hideous Blow can only be done as a standard action. I had interpreted Quickened Hideous Blow as being able to make that into an attack; because (I reasoned) the Quickening only effected the Blast component.

Still that means that, other than 3/day, you may either full attack or use Hideous Blow.

Ed:
Whilst you can take Quickened Spell Like Ability for any invokation, taking Quickened Spell Like Ability on a blast shape or essence is somewhat pointless since they are effectivley free actions anyway.
The feat you actualy need is Quickened Spell Like Ability[Eldritch Blast], on which you can apply any shape or essence for which you qualify by virtue of your caster level [see MM p304].