PDA

View Full Version : What did your party members put on your character's tombstone?

Pika...
2011-02-09, 01:58 PM
Assuming they had taken the time to actually roleplay grieving a close friend...what do you think would have been placed on your character(s)'s tombstone?

One of my favorite characters':

"Grim
150BF-????
What a great hero, and oddball. You can currently find him hanging around Sigil's cafe's probably..."

He was a deathless necropolitan skeleton. :smallbiggrin:

Thorcrest
2011-02-09, 02:17 PM
Generally when characters die they tend not to leave anything to bury, so the characters grieve without marking any stones or such things...

Presuming they had, some might look like this:

Erik the Druid
You aided the cause of Nature,
In Payment She Killed you!

Kograine Kotone the Dwarven Paladin
Sorry we disengaged our foes, we really wanted to set up the perfect Charge.

comicshorse
2011-02-09, 02:21 PM
The rest of the party described burying my fallen Werewolf character ( A Fiana Ragabash) beneath a caern of stones with his Glaive in one hand, a flask of whiskey in the other and the gold sceptre he recently recieved from a spirit at his feet.

rayne_dragon
2011-02-09, 02:34 PM
Characters in the games I play tend to get stuffed into bags of holding and forgotten about. Sometimes people even remember to get the deceased ressurected.

I think I may need to make a character who writes gravestones for their adventuring companions. Some kind of gravedigger who fights with a shovel.

Gnoman
2011-02-09, 02:55 PM
Pepperoni and Cheese

Jay R
2011-02-09, 03:14 PM
"Thanks for all the neat stuff you used to own."

Kansaschaser
2011-02-09, 03:20 PM
Normally when I play a dwarf, it dies. He never got a proper burial, but I assume they would put this on his tombstone.

Option 1: Here lies Rendrick the stout. He will be missed. His final words were, "Hey, watch this."

Option 2: Agraz the bold. Grave robbers be warned: There is no loot or body inside the coffin, as Agraz wished to be disintegrated upon his death so there is no chance of him returning as a zombie.

Strawberries
2011-02-09, 03:24 PM
Assuming they had taken the time to actually roleplay grieving a close friend...what do you think would have been placed on your character(s)'s tombstone?

Well, the paladin I am currently playing in "The wrong guys" here on the forum isn't dead (yet), but we figured out his epithaph a while ago:

"Here lies Audric. Killed in the cross-fire between an angry band of sorcerers and a pissed off paladin order. He was a nice guy. The fool."

:smalltongue:

Daremonai
2011-02-09, 03:24 PM
I'm fairly lucky - most of the time, what the other characters put on my grave is 5000gp worth of diamond dust...

Otacon17
2011-02-09, 03:26 PM
In a recent game I played, our shardmind fighter companion got smashed in the face with a maul so hard that he was reduced to crystalline powder. Literally the only thing the shardmind had ever said, in his entire life, was "I am a blade." While mourning his death, one of our party members coated his sword in the shardmind's powdery remains and, shedding a tear, said "Now, friend, you truly are a blade."

LibraryOgre
2011-02-09, 03:30 PM
Most recently, a basilisk turned 4 of my characters into funerary statues. Does that count? ;-)

Kansaschaser
2011-02-09, 03:39 PM
Most recently, a basilisk turned 4 of my characters into funerary statues. Does that count? ;-)

If I knew I was going to be fighting Basilisks ahead of time, I would pin a note to my chest that said, "Don't use a stone salve on me if any important body parts have broken off."

Vknight
2011-02-09, 03:43 PM
The Evil campaign my players just played most of the party died but the Rakasha buried them after eating the Dwarves corpse.

On the Dwarfs tomb he wrote.
Why didn't he heal the Half-Orc

On the Half-Orc's tomb.
An Idiot that died vainly

On the Skeleton Wizards tomb
He blew us up Screw Him

On the Elves Tomb
Why did he turn invisible and try to sneak into that Paladin Fortress

In a 4e campaign my character requested should he die on his tomb would be written "He died protecting a pair of idiots"
He eventually did and came back as a Revenant on the tombstone this time he requested this. "He died protecting the same pair of idiots."

grimbold
2011-02-09, 03:44 PM
one who died of disease requested his epitaph
I TOLD YOU I WAS SICK

LibraryOgre
2011-02-09, 03:45 PM
If I knew I was going to be fighting Basilisks ahead of time, I would pin a note to my chest that said, "Don't use a stone salve on me if any important body parts have broken off."

Yeah... they looked in, saw the eight-legged lizard... then flubbed their stealth rolls to sneak up and shoot it. It finally fell when the monk and the illusionist chain-stunned it, while the fighter just wailed on it.

EDIT: Oh, and I also wrote an epic poem for one of our adventures.

claricorp
2011-02-09, 04:05 PM
My party members show a distinct disrespect for people as soon as there dead.

For example the sword sage in my group got finished off by a cone of cold so i said he got shattered into chunks of ice. after combat, one of the party members promptly collected up all of his frozen little bits and placed them in a bucket.

they recently sloshed his remains down a corridor to search for traps.

LibraryOgre
2011-02-09, 04:11 PM

For example the sword sage in my group got finished off by a cone of cold so i said he got shattered into chunks of ice. after combat, one of the party members promptly collected up all of his frozen little bits and placed them in a bucket.

Oh yeah. That calls for some angry undead.

Strawberries
2011-02-09, 04:18 PM
Oh yeah. That calls for some angry undead.

What surpises me the most is actually that someone went around carrying a bucket with frozen bits of corpse for all that time. :smallamused:

LibraryOgre
2011-02-09, 05:00 PM
What surpises me the most is actually that someone went around carrying a bucket with frozen bits of corpse for all that time. :smallamused:

I kinda assumed it was a "20 minutes later" kind of thing but, yeah. Eww.

Combat Reflexes
2011-02-09, 05:08 PM

and THIS exactly is the prerequisite for returning as a badass DMPC ghost. Players beware!

~~~~~~

And everytime my character dies, the party stores him in a bag of holding and heads for the nearest temple of Pelor. No time for tombstones!

Kansaschaser
2011-02-09, 05:17 PM
I kinda assumed it was a "20 minutes later" kind of thing but, yeah. Eww.

At least they didn't try to BBQ him.

I played a Halfling in a Dark Sun campaign. There was a Thri-Keen in the party and he convinced the other party members to let him eat me after I died, but before I was resurrected. You don't need the entire body for the resurrection to work.

After that happened the first time, the Thri-Keen invsted in a lot of 5,000gp diamonds and kept trying to get me killed so he could eat the corpse and then get me resurrected later. I grew suspicious of his actions when he kept trying to get me to "fatten up". He would give me more food during lunch and dinner.

Saint GoH
2011-02-09, 05:39 PM
I have never gotten a tombstone, but I'd imagine the Dwarf Crusader would have something like:

When the DM says it is a Colossally sized Dragon
It really is.

While my chain tripper would have;

Dun wrory gaiz, I only need to roll a 3...
Oh ****.

Ozreth
2011-02-09, 05:45 PM
Option 1: Here lies Rendrick the stout. He will be missed. His final words were, "Hey, watch this."

Going to the sig.

arguskos
2011-02-09, 05:45 PM
Pepperoni and Cheese
Sirrah, this is victory. Delicious, delicious victory. :smallamused:

My characters have never died. I've never had a character I've been running die in a game. NPCs? Sure, they die by the handful. Personally run characters in other games? I have no memory of them ever dying, actually. Games end before I die. Everyone else though, they seem to die around me a lot.

Last campaign I was a player in, we had a handful of deaths. One was the brave and noble Fosco Crumblemuffin (no kidding, that was his name). He died valiantly, tumbling into a horde of violent hellbeasts... to throw us some loot. :smallbiggrin: We recovered one of his tattoos, and later enshrined it in an elaborate shrine we built to him. Later, Clementine the Dwarven Priest died, and we all had a moment of silence for him (no body was left for a tomb, so he didn't get one). Finally, Checkers Stirling died, and we had a moment of silence (after we killed his killer, natch). Sadly, no body was left for him either, so he didn't get a shrine either. The last casualty was Agerzad, but I managed to recover his head (armor spikes=head carriers, who knew?) and resurrect him later, so that was all good. Only two of us survived everything: me (War Machine as an artificer) and Fast Eddie, the roguish archer guy.

I lived cause I built War Machine to survive basically anything. Eddie survived cause nothing ever targeted him, cause he was amazingly unassuming. Fosco died in session 2, Clementine in like session 4, Checkers in session 6, and Agerzad in the final session, #7 (but was resurrected in the epilogue section we had).

Crosswinds
2011-02-09, 06:57 PM
"Here lies the jackhole who wouldn't give us any good loot."

It was a naval campaign, and my character was in charge of the stores. The other characters got mad when he sold off the loot they weren't using in order to buy food and pay the crew's wages. Apparently, roleplaying a desire to keep a fully functioning, healthy crew was poor taste. Go figure, huh?

Chilingsworth
2011-02-09, 06:59 PM
"Here lies the jackhole who wouldn't give us any good loot."

It was a naval campaign, and my character was in charge of the stores. The other characters got mad when he sold off the loot they weren't using in order to buy food and pay the crew's wages. Apparently, roleplaying a desire to keep a fully functioning, healthy crew was poor taste. Go figure, huh?

Well, unless you were getting crap for loot, that would be rather more than you'd need for those purposes, I'd guess.

As for something on topic...

Only thing that comes to mind is when I played a spectacularly Idiotic Sorcerer. He was so bad that when he got himself killed, the party tossed him into a river wieghted so he wound up being upside down. (a version of burrying criminals or hated enemies upside down, they threw the sorc into the river in hopes it would 'send me out to sea' so his body wouldn't be their problem ever again.)

Vknight
2011-02-09, 07:16 PM
I just remebered this.

The Rakasha from earlier was eventually hunted down by the Paladin group along with the Rouge and Druid both now True Neutral.
After killing him they asked to bury him because even though he was evil the time they had spent was precious.
On the Tombstone they carved a picture of the Rakasha and placed his familiar a floating skull on the top of the tombstone holding him in place.

-In the Epilouge-
The skull eventuall brought tourists from around the world so he could tell stories of the dreaded last Rakasha and the evils he commited including killing the skulls original body.

LibraryOgre
2011-02-09, 07:22 PM
I played a Halfling in a Dark Sun campaign. There was a Thri-Keen in the party and he convinced the other party members to let him eat me after I died, but before I was resurrected. You don't need the entire body for the resurrection to work.

Dark Sun is an ENTIRELY different category. Until you've seriously debated which character would be best to eat, you're playing the Forgotten Realms in Dark Sun drag. ;-)

Lurkmoar
2011-02-09, 07:24 PM
Not my character, but a fellow party member:

Ignatz, Son of Corat.

A proud warrior. Died the way he lived.

He died alone in a garbage filled alley after being ambushed by a bunch of thieves.

Dark Sun is an ENTIRELY different category. Until you've seriously debated which character would be best to eat, you're playing the Forgotten Realms in Dark Sun drag. ;-)

Dark Sun made me do some things I'm really not proud of to stay alive...

Vknight
2011-02-09, 07:39 PM
Did you eat the elf with broiled halfling?

Lurkmoar
2011-02-09, 07:44 PM
Did you eat the elf with broiled halfling?

Nah we opted to slit the half-giant's throat in the night.

It was his fault, he needed the most water out of all of us...

Vknight
2011-02-09, 08:06 PM
Oh thats not bad.

The Rakasha sold the Drow into slavery in my evil campaign, he told them her name was Tobi and he could get them more.
The rest of the party then spent the next session collecting Drow before moving onto the job they were supposed to be doing.

Barbin
2011-02-09, 10:12 PM
" You were a kleptomaniac, spell book stealing prick! I hope you liked that million watt bolt.- Aradam

NichG
2011-02-09, 10:37 PM
We lost a party member (Jeric Reskin) a few weeks ago in a long and very overpowered campaign when we were betrayed by our long-time benefactor and harvested for all our power. Reskin saved us by sacrificing himself, and we fled to this mudball world. On landing, I built a statue to him. The legend beneath the statue requires some campaign background.

Basically, we were beings associated with the cosmological concept of limitless growth (which was known as Omega). We had been made such by a benefactor that we came to know only as the Omega Soul, in order to fight against its enemy. We gradually found out that a lot of horrible things had been done by the Omega Soul to ensure our rise to power, and that this cosmological Omega-ness was also strongly associated with the greed for power at any cost, not just limitless growth.

So now, Reskin. Out of all of the PCs, he was the most munchkin-y and aggressive in the pursuit of power. He didn't just want it for himself, he wanted it for the entire party, to the point where he would totally screw over worlds, universes, etc to harvest their artifacts and powers to give to the party, and think nothing of it. At one point we had to have a funeral for a pair of orphans he had thrown in the way of an attack (but I digress). He also once fathered a child for the sole purpose of opening a door (leading to power) that would only open when presented with the child of two Omegas.

So after this guy sacrificed himself to stop the Omega Soul, the thing that exemplified the greed for power (and thus was basically a pale imitation of the PC), the inscription on the statue read: "Jeric Reskin - the truest Omega". In addition, we made the statue of a 'greedy metal' that turned all objects of value that touched it into itself and a few thousand pounds of gold.

Of course then he messed it all up by finding a way to survive and rejoin the party.

Dr.Epic
2011-02-09, 10:49 PM
He rolled a natural 1. Lol.

The Big Dice
2011-02-10, 07:43 AM
Here lies ... ummm. What was his name again?

Are we even going to dig this hole? I mean, how long does it take. Especially when we've got things to be doing.

(scratched onto a piece of wood left on the ground next to a naked body)

starwoof
2011-02-10, 07:52 AM
"He lost a lot of weight just before the dragon ate the other half"

dsmiles
2011-02-10, 07:53 AM
On a particular half-drow magic-user's tombstone:

TELEPORT!!!

Not that there was a body in there, he had recently become part of an ancient red dragon's left ventricle. (Long story.)

Aharon
2011-02-10, 08:05 AM
This is a tombstone we erected to remember brave Tci'Deneb. He was a valiant defender of good who didn't stop his attack when the cultist we interrogated told us that yes, we were to late, they already had summoned Cthulhu.

This is the grave of Darnhelm. Even his immunity to falling rocks couldn't prevent his sudden death when a ghostly hand appeared before him and ripped in part a mysterious sheet of paper.

Here lies M'tin, a gifted warrior who used mental discipline to enhance his prowess. We murdered him because he wasn't gifted enough to compete with us.

Rest in peace, Noan'Tak. Your life was not in vain, your son will continue your work.

Those were the only characters I had that died. The rest was retired because I got bored, or retired because they got to powerful, or retired after the end of a successful campaign :)

FMArthur
2011-02-10, 09:49 AM
In loving memory of Gorter, whose remains are presumably at the bottom of the Great Sea by the coast
"I am not retreating from a freaking crab."

Thorcrest
2011-02-10, 10:21 AM
Got some more potential ones from Characters that died but couldn't be buried... usually when one of us dies it's BAD!

Cyrano
A Great Paladin that Always did his Duty
I'm sorry I killed you while experimenting with Godly Power -Thorcrest

Brandz
He was our friend, he can now Light up the Afterlife

This is in dedication to the Southern Gentleman that joined us, while we have forgotten your name, you did teach us a valuable lesson.
Honour is no shield to bullets.

Rahl, the Noble Idiot
Why would you use a Chair as a Weapon?

Thor-Ax
While I did not know you for long, You seemed nice.
I'm sorry I crushed You -Foun

There's a bunch for now, if I remember more, I will gladly post them.

Combat Reflexes
2011-02-10, 02:29 PM
HERE LIES THEODORUS THE CRUSHER
We must forgive him, Intelligence was his dump stat.

HERE LIES THAILA THE SKILLMONKEY
"I jump through the green jade demon's mouth"
She will be missed.

HERE LIES CRASSUS THE BARD
You can stop Rock 'n Roll.

HERE LIES MARCUS THE BARD, CRASSUS' TWIN BROTHER THAT LOOKS SUSPICOUSLY MUCH LIKE HIM AND PURELY ACCIDENTALY FEATURES EXACT THE SAME STATS
Inspire Courage doesn't stop fireballs.

klyk
2011-02-10, 03:45 PM
Come and get it bitch.

My Fighters last word to a female dragon rider on a black dragon that had killed part of his family.
He challenged her to a one on one duel and lost because I counted wrong on his HP.

This would have gone on his grave if my figther didn't get resurected by the party.
And I can say after those brave words the players I play with still rub it in after 5 years.

Dr.Epic
2011-02-10, 04:12 PM
(scratched onto a piece of wood left on the ground next to a naked body)

What? No. Don't do that. Sell the body to a wizard. I'm sure they could use a zombie henchman or materials for a flesh golem.

Morph Bark
2011-02-10, 05:22 PM
On a particular half-drow magic-user's tombstone:

TELEPORT!!!

Not that there was a body in there, he had recently become part of an ancient red dragon's left ventricle. (Long story.)

Now that is a story I want to hear. (And solely due to learning what a ventricle is just last semester. Brainstuff is awesome.)

Saint GoH
2011-02-10, 07:20 PM
Now that is a story I want to hear. (And solely due to learning what a ventricle is just last semester. Brainstuff is awesome.)

Pretty sure ventricle is part of the heart. Not le brain.

Or do you mean LEARNING brainstuff (i.e. filling your brain) is awesome?

I am the confused.

Vknight
2011-02-10, 07:23 PM
Just ignore or it will hurt your head.

dsmiles
2011-02-10, 07:40 PM

Walk this way...

I have two.

First One:(this one usually gets a laugh)There we were, crawling through this epic dungeon set in a dormant volcano (epic in scale, not level; 2e didn't use the term that way). We get through the upper levels without too much inconvenience, but we finally get to the bottom of the volcano, and there it is. The biggest red dragon we've ever seen (not really saying much, though). We're lucky, it's asleep. The party surrounds it, and accidentally wakes it up. We're locked in a battle for our lives (and its treasure). My half-drow wizard is getting kind of low in hit points (after taking a couple of blasts from the dragon's fiery halitosis), so I decide that now's a good time to make my way to that ledge behind it. Quickly flipping through my repertoire of spells, I find that I used my last dim door already, and all I have left are a couple of teleport spells, and some blasting. Ok, here's the plan: I teleport to the ledge, and blast it on my next round with a cone of cold. Here we go. "TELEPORT!!!!" *bamf* I saved the day, and won the spoils...I slew the dragon! Coincidentally, I teleported directly into the dragon's left ventricle. Instant death for me, cardiac arrest for the dragon.

Favorite Character Quote: "TELEPORT!!!"

Second One:(a little more recently, probably early '04)An ancient red dragon (are we sensing a pattern here?) is gathering an army of orcs, hobgoblins, ogres, trolls, and goblins, and we have to stop him/her/it (we were never really sure). So my archer ranger/summoner druid, the half-golem fighter, and the tiefling rogue are out to scout this mountain pass where the army is amassing. We're at the top of a 300-foot-cliff, and directly below us there are several battalions of these creatures. Now, my character has this OCD-like...thing...about running out of ammo. so bad, in fact, that I traded most of the treasure from out last adventure to the tiefling for a bag of holding to keep spare arrows in. So we literally see thousands of troops in this pass. We start thinking. And thinking. I have an idea. I look at the tiefling and the fighter and say, "If an arrow falls off a cliff in the mountains, does the orc at the bottom make a sound?" I reach into my bag of holding, and empty it. We come up with about a thousand arrows. Well, arrows are heavier at the tip, and terminal velocity's a bitch. We start chucking handfuls of arrows over the cliff. Sure enough, the orcs at the bottom start making sounds. Eventually, we run out, and run away (before the dragon figures out who just decimated half his/her/its army).

Favorite Character Quote: "If an arrow falls off a cliff in the mountains, does the orc at the bottom make a sound?"

Vknight
2011-02-10, 07:51 PM
Ah I remeber reading that.

dsmiles
2011-02-10, 08:02 PM
Ah I remeber reading that.I like that story. It's the most fun I've ever had dying.

Vknight
2011-02-10, 08:07 PM
The best moment I had dying is never because I mainly Dm and when I don't the touch of cheese in my characters stops that.

Best time ever watching a party die would probably be the 'Riverdale' campaign. At its end they kill the Eladrin fused with the powerful crystal that makes a city fly. I tell them he explodes. There response yelling and complaints because it was 'Unfair'
They destroyed a Crystal and the Eladrin fused to it that causes a city to fly.

Jergmo
2011-02-10, 09:32 PM
Tombstones?! Real heroes have funeral pyres!

Noedig
2011-02-11, 12:32 AM
I've only ever had one character die, but he was immediately True Res'd, so there was no need for a tombstone. However I suspect it would be along the lines of this:

Here lies Rhyus. Killed carving his way out of the stomach of a dragon. His last words were "Eat this!"

My other D&D character has only come close to death once when he cheated while gambling in Sigil. Had he died the stone would've said:

Here lies Marcus. He thought he could cheat and run, but the Devils caught up to him.

And one from Shadowrun, simply because its funny:

Here lies Ronin, shot in the back. His last words were, "Jesus Shifty! You f***ing shot me!"

Krudin
2011-02-11, 12:52 AM
I have a drow PC who has died a ton of times.

Carved into the petrified drow

Rancor taught me one thing. Some Medusa can petrify when you meet the gaze of the tip of their tail.

Rancor: Getting him unpetrified was a waste of my money.

Rancor: I don't even know how he came back, but it certainly didn't last.

Rancor: Broke the bonds of control of the one who brought him back with a sword to their chest, if only that dragon wasn't there.

Rancor: I didn't see the Great Wyrm Red Dragon hiding in the clearing in the green forest either. Now stay dead *******.

Rancor: Seriously how the hell do you keep coming back to life?

Rancor: I was neither surprised to see you back to life, or to die two quests later.

Rancor: This is getting repetitive.

Rancor: I still don't believe you beat the Reaper at chess, you suck at it.

Rancor: I swear to god if you come back anymore I'm killing you myself.

A note, the PC is back to life, but the PC that will kill him if he comes back doesn't know it yet.

Kerghan
2011-02-11, 01:06 AM
Here lies the hiccuping kobold, a most faithful companion that merely wished to stop hiccuping. He tried the Dwarven God of Ale's concoction consisting of alcohol, tar, and napalm. Obviously, it doesn't work.