PDA

View Full Version : Duskblade/Hulking Hurler/Rogue/Shadowdancer?

Venger
2011-02-09, 02:15 PM
I am DMing a game of 3.5 and one of my players wants to use the above.

he's playing a human and took jotunbrud to qualify for hulking hurler

duskblade 6/hulking hurler 3/ rogue 1/ duskblade 11/ shadowdancer 1/ duskblade 15

the feats, obviously, are almost all consumed by the prereqs for hulking hurler (jotunbrud, point blank shot, power attack, weapon focus (thrown weapon) ) and shadowdancer (dodge, mobility, combat reflexes) so he'll have one left for something or other.

my question is... at the upper levels, what exactly can I throw at him in the way of challenges? I know that this character is far from optimised, but it will still deal a lot of damage and be able to bonk people with really large items while hiding in their shadows with sneak attack on top of it.

The Cat Goddess
2011-02-09, 02:26 PM
There are so many better builds for a thrower than this...

But, unless you got your numbers wrong, he's not getting shadowdancer until Epic levels... so what's the big deal? Epic levels are broken as-is. Just have an Epic Wizard Permenantly Reduce-Person him. :smallbiggrin:

grarrrg
2011-02-09, 04:27 PM
I really have nothing to add, just popped in to see if someone actually built the title. That being said...

But, unless you got your numbers wrong,

His numbers are correct, but presented in an odd way.

duskblade 6/hulking hurler 3/ rogue 1/ duskblade 11/ shadowdancer 1/ duskblade 15

Duskblade 6
Hulking Hurler 3
Rogue 1
Duskblade +5 (11 total)
Shadowdancer 1
Duskblade +4 (15 total)

Adds up to 20.

RTGoodman
2011-02-09, 04:39 PM
Wait... why is there a single level each of Rogue and Shadowdancer? Just for the HiPS and +1d6 SA? It seems like you could do a lot better with more levels Duskblade or another PrC.

But either way, casters can still mostly shut it down, I would think. Intelligently-played monsters will also find a way to cancel any stealth if they're REALLY worried about an extra 1d6 damage. You're player will probably be hurting on Hide and Move Silently as skills as it is, since I seriously doubt Duskblade or Hulking Hurler get them as class skills.

VirOath
2011-02-09, 04:39 PM
In all honesty, that build isn't going to do as much damage as you think. Why?

Because hulking hurler uses Str on an exponential scale to deal damage, that is by weight. To optimize that you need size increases and str boosts to extreme levels. Normally involving the War Hulk PrC and strong build on a templated character to be minimum of Large Size, to atleast count as huge. Missing the dangerous sizes and strength score, would be surprised if he could toss 10d6 with a big rock.

Duskblade gets the most damage out of it by dumping spells into arcane strike, which he will be lacking spells for and caster levels as well as he may not even have room for the feat. And, IIRC, it doesn't go well with Hulking Hurling without Bloodstorm blade as the spell channeling is for melee attacks only.

Rogue is adding 1d6 of sneak attack and skills. Shadow Dancer is giving a weak HiPS.

Honestly, unless he is pulling something out of no where, he is really crippling himself compared to Duskblade 20. You'll likely have to tone down challenges for him unless the player is exceptional at the game and can make this worth it.

Venger
2011-02-12, 10:43 AM
I really have nothing to add, just popped in to see if someone actually built the title. That being said...

His numbers are correct, but presented in an odd way.

Duskblade 6
Hulking Hurler 3
Rogue 1
Duskblade +5 (11 total)
Shadowdancer 1
Duskblade +4 (15 total)

Adds up to 20.

Yes, that is what I meant with regards to the numbers. Apologies, I thought it was customary to write it with the total level for whatever class.

with regards to why 1 lvl of shadowdancer/rogue, he really just wants HiPS from shadowdancer

and no neither duskblade nor hulking hurler get hide as a class skill. rogue does though, and it also gets skill points so he can buy all the stuff he needs for shadowdancer.

the sneak attack will only be 1d6, and I'm not too worried about it. by the time he gets to his rogue lvl, that much extra damage won't be that big a deal, and the player/PC isn't big on stealth. his preferred approach is to (literally) stand with his hands on his hips and yell "COME AT ME BRO"

http://www.meh.ro/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/meh.ro5298.jpg

so I don't forsee a ton of sneak attacks in his future anyway.

I houserule that if something is ever a class skill for you then it stays that way and you are allowed to max ranks in it. so that's why only 1 lvl of rogue, to get hide and stuff on his list. because he wants as many duskblade lvls as possible, obviously. it makes buying skills a lot less complicated.

thanks for the advice, everybody! if you have more thoughts I would be more than happy to hear them

Akal Saris
2011-02-12, 11:40 AM
Yeah, it sounds like a pretty bad idea for the PC, honestly. I wouldn't be concerned about him pulling out massive amounts of damage any time soon.