PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 disable device/combat mechanics

vageta31
2011-02-09, 04:02 PM
So I've posted a couple threads already concerning my first pnp D&D campaign coming up soon. I've been studying all the rules and such but some of it probably won't exactly make sense until I experience it first hand, but I had a few questions in what to expect in disabling traps, and combat movement. I'll be playing a rogue that will multiclass with swashbuckler. Emphasis is on finess fighter that can tumble around the fight but not be quite as squishy as a pure rogue. I'm taking enough rogue levels(3 or 4) to get a nice set of skill points, sneak attack base and uncanny dodge, then taking daring outlaw with my swashbuckler and the shield of blades variant.

Anyways even though I have lots of skill points it's still not enough, and since I want to be the face I will have to balance bluff, diplomacy, intent, etc... with all of the roguish trapfinding, disable device, spot, listen, etc... And since I want to be able to be nimble I really want to max my tumble, with some jump for synergy and of course max out my UMD (I have +2 cha modifier as well). So it comes down to how much of the actual disabling device and picking lock type of skills I need at a minimum to be effective while being able to utilize the other skills for my movement and diplomacy areas.

I've heard people say there are other ways of disabling devices like using a long pole or summoning creatures. So how does it work? As long as I can successfully locate a trap, can you disable it with a pole thus negating any damage the trap might have caused? Or if it's a ranged trap like darts do you get a bonus reflex save since youre 10 feet away?

Also how does movement in combat work? Do you get the 30ft move with a full attack or do you only get full attack if you're attacking without moving? I plan on tumbling around the combat field so say I tumble into a flanking position to get a SA, does the tumble count as part of my full attack round or is it included? Or say I finish up killing one monster then next turn I tumble to another one and use combat acrobatics trick to catch them flat footed. Can I do that all in one move and get my full attack?

I know this will all make sense after I start playing but I'm trying to get a heads up.

Devmaar
2011-02-09, 06:48 PM
The trick with the pole or the summons is to replace the rogue. If a summoned celestial monkey sets off a trap and is killed the party no longer has to worry about the trap.

To your second question. In a round you get a move action and a standard action. They can be combined into a full-round action. Full attack is a full-round action, moving is a move action. You cannot take a move action and a full-round action in the same turn, so no, you cannot move and full attack.

Sorry if this comes across as patronizing.

Urpriest
2011-02-09, 06:54 PM
Generally when people talk about using a pole to disable traps they're talking about earlier editions of D&D (2nd and before) when the Disable Device skill didn't exist and traps could be triggered and disabled in ways that varied based on how they worked. Each one was sort of a mini-puzzle.

vageta31
2011-02-09, 07:48 PM
Not patronizing at all. Simple and to the point. So that means if I want to tumble around the battlefield and I'm using TWF I would only get my main hand attack? So if I tumble into a flanking position to get my SA, I would only get my SA damage on one hand. So if I was in close enough position to do a full attack round on that creature it'd come down to whether I'd do a full attack round using both weapons with no bonus damage, or attempting to get a higher single attack with some lucky SA damage rolls.

Also when you get "initiative" in a fight does it still count the same if the monster is more than your allowable move distance during the first round? Assuming you were to sneak into an area and get the surprise attack. What if you're 30 feet away? You could move your 30 feet, I'd assume no AoO do to them being unprepared, but still only get half of your attack round? Or do you get the full move AND your full attack round due to them being surprised?

Seems like the only way to fully take advantage of a surprise situation is if you had a caster or something cast sleep or another spell to keep them from reacting as your fighters move into position. Then next round you still have initiative and thus can get your full attack rounds while they're still denied dex ac bonus?

Or am I overcomplicating this stuff hehe?

The trick with the pole or the summons is to replace the rogue. If a summoned celestial monkey sets off a trap and is killed the party no longer has to worry about the trap.

To your second question. In a round you get a move action and a standard action. They can be combined into a full-round action. Full attack is a full-round action, moving is a move action. You cannot take a move action and a full-round action in the same turn, so no, you cannot move and full attack.

Sorry if this comes across as patronizing.