PDA

View Full Version : Blocking Divination

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-02-09, 07:08 PM
In a campaign I'm currently playing in one of the BEBG has constant Foresight and Augury 1/week. One of his companions is a telepath. My questions are:

1) Is there a cheap and easy way to block myself from being targeted or appearing in the BEBG's visions?

2) Is there a similarly simple and inexpensive way to block the telepath's abilities?

Thanks.

Loki Eremes
2011-02-09, 10:13 PM
Mind Blank, problem is.... 8th lvl spell xD

Misdirection & Non-detection are other spells against divination.

But i think for your partner to not be able to read your mind will be somehow suspicious....

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-02-09, 10:38 PM
A Hat of Anonymity in MIC gives you a continual Nondetection effect, you could get it crafted at a higher caster level so they would have to beat a higher DC for any divinations to work on you. Its price is reasonably affordable for a mid-level character. A Cowl of Warding from Magic of Faerun gives a continual Mind Blank, Freedom of Movement, and Spell Turning, though it costs over 200k gold. Just getting a way to cast Mind Blank every day would probably be the best course of action, though. A custom magic item (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm) which allows you to cast it 1/day via command word at the minimum caster level would have an estimated cost of (8x15x1800x1/5)= 43,200 gp, though I doubt your DM would make an automatic invulnerability to his BBEG's primary threats so easy to obtain.

Psyren
2011-02-10, 01:34 AM
What class are you?
Without knowing that, the only solutions we can give are item-based.

Enterti
2011-02-10, 01:45 AM
If b cheap you mean around 120k there is third eye conceal in Magical Item Compendium. Immunity to all divinations and mind affecting abilities including uses of wish for those purposes.

Ernir
2011-02-10, 06:41 AM
There is also the Cortical Armor (Underdark) and Eyes of the Spider (City of the Spider Queen), but I'd take the Third Eye Conceal (Magic Item Compendium, Expanded Psionics Handbook) over either.

And, umm... it might be a bit more invasive than finding a magic item, but getting the Vecna-Blooded template (Monster Manual 5) applied to yourself does the trick. :smalleek:

Yora
2011-02-10, 07:22 AM
Also, what is futuresight? Never heard of it and all that google finds is a homebrew class classfeature.

Augury 1/week really isn't a problem, as it does not reveal what will happen in the future, only if one single specific action will have good or bad consequences.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-02-10, 08:20 AM
If you do psionics, Slayer will do the trick, although by that time, you've probably got access to Mind Blank anyways.

Darrin
2011-02-10, 08:22 AM
In a campaign I'm currently playing in one of the BEBG has constant Futuresight and Augury 1/week.

Never heard of futuresight. I think you mean foresight? That's a tough nut to crack... the spell essentially warns your BBEG whenever the world around him is trying to kill him. Since it doesn't target anyone specific in that world, protections like nondetection and mind blank don't really come into play.

Augury doesn't target other creatures either, but provides very little useful information. It also only provides information about actions the BBEG takes in the next half hour - it doesn't actively warn him about decisions someone else makes, unless he words his query very, very, very specifically... and the response could be misinterpreted a lot of different ways.

1) Is there a cheap and easy way to block myself from being targeted or appearing in the BEBG's visions?

Foresight only warns the BBEG about immediate threats. If you're not anywhere near him and not trying to attack him, you shouldn't come up on his radar. It doesn't give him visions about who will attack him in the future. It also doesn't give him any names or faces... if he's never met you or never seen you before, foresight won't tell him that you're going to attack, just that he is in danger of being attacked. And augury can only tell the BBEG the result of his own actions, it can't tell him anything about decisions made my other creatures.

If the BBEG decides you're a threat, he'll need to use some different divination spells to predict what you're going to do. Scrying, detect thoughts, and discern location, most likely. Nondetection might help, but can be circumvented with a caster level check. Mind blank is almost impenetrable, but expensive: 120K for Third Eye Conceal.

Intervention via some divine entity is the ultimate trump card. Find out whatever deity is directly opposed to the BBEG, and find out if they'd like to get involved or what kind of price they'd want for you to become one of their agents.

2) Is there a similarly simple and inexpensive way to block the telepath's abilities?

Ring of Mind Shielding (8000 GP, DMG). If you want to make yourself immune to a specific spell that targets you personally, such as discern location, get your hands on a Spellblade (Magic of Faerun p. 141), which will cost at least 8300 GP but unlike spell immunity has no spell-level limit.

To take down the BBEG, your best bet is to work through proxies: yes, he knows he's going to get attacked, but not by whom or why (that's probably what the telepath is for). Summoned or charmed/dominated creatures won't be able to tell him much, if handled properly. Charm or dominate the telepath, and you can mislead the BBEG into a classic "Appointment in Samara" trap.

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-02-10, 10:30 AM
Sorry, Foresight is what I meant. I will edit my opening post to reflect that.

Unfortunately, 120k is not what I meant by cheap,though that is very effective, so I'll keep that in mind for later.

On an off chance, would lead-lining or lead coating armor and/or weapons stop either of the effects mentioned above?

Thanks.

EDIT: The BEBG has me before and my intentions have been telegraphed in previous encounters with his agents.
I'm planning on sabotauging his stronghold and hiring mercenaries via proxy, as well as attacking the stronghold through the use of Wights for a minature Wightpocalypse. He wouldn't know what I sabotauged or how, simply that bad things were going to happen, correct?

Choco
2011-02-10, 10:53 AM
If you can, and are melee, take levels in Occult Slayer. They get Mind Blank as a class feature 5th level. The spell turning ability is quite awesome as well.

If you are playing a Cha-based character, I would totally invest in the Live My Nightmare feat (from Unearthed Arcana). Normally that feat is practically useless, but if you know the enemy specializes in divination this can be a hilarious way to counter them. Basically every time you are targeted with a divination, you can immediately cast a free phantasmal killer against the divination caster (DC = 14 + Cha mod).

Chen
2011-02-10, 11:30 AM
I don't think anything (except that 120K item) will protect against Foresight or Augury. Then again these are more immediate protections. You won't get surprise on the BBEG (in combat) but you can still make your overall assault something he isn't expecting. Neither of those spells give him the details on what type of plan is going to be executed against him.

quiet1mi
2011-02-10, 11:41 AM
A tin foil hat on his head...