PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Werewolf dressing room (equipment)

pilvento
2011-02-09, 08:12 PM
now that the build its finished im looking foward to think about my character future equipment.
LA+2/werewolf class2/barbarian2/fist of the forest1/wildshaper3/runescar berserker 10 (unaprochable east)

the basic idea was to get Vow of Poverty but those 2 feats destroy my build PrC requirements.

what kind of equipment, apart from stat bonuses of course, can i buy for this type of character, a bite and slashing machine???

note: transformation into werewolf tears my clothes, im not a druid....

Excession
2011-02-09, 08:15 PM
A top hat:

http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/1120736466_d97cp-L.jpg (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2010/12/10/)

:smallbiggrin:

pilvento
2011-02-09, 08:19 PM
A top hat:

http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/1120736466_d97cp-L.jpg (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2010/12/10/)

stupid cataclism, i hate the alliance so much now

Vknight
2011-02-09, 08:26 PM
Oh its not that bad. Sure they have the much better Mage Races, The Cooler Cataclysm Race, The Better Death Knights, Better Paladins, Better Druids.

But well the Horde has. You know what the Horde really has nothing.

Also I would suggest expanding armor.
Tell you Gm the armor has leather plates that snap when you change so it can still fit you and these plates can be reset once you change back.

pilvento
2011-02-09, 08:33 PM
Oh its not that bad. Sure they have the much better Mage Races, The Cooler Cataclysm Race, The Better Death Knights, Better Paladins, Better Druids.

But well the Horde has. You know what the Horde really has nothing.

Also I would suggest expanding armor.
Tell you Gm the armor has leather plates that snap when you change so it can still fit you and these plates can be reset once you change back.

armor is not the problem since im using unarmed CA from fist of the forest.

what about offensive equipment? and lets dont make this a cataclism tread

Vknight
2011-02-09, 08:38 PM
I don't play WoW 3of my players did, this became a joke amongst them. But yeah lets not go down that road.

As for offensive if you got natural claws upgrade them see if you can get them treated with silver, your teeth with Cold Iron.
If can't think of anything else at the moment so I'll get back to you.

Admiral Squish
2011-02-09, 08:56 PM
I would suggest getting a Necklace of Natural Attacks for your bite and just getting yourself a big honkin' two-hander to go with it.

Amnestic
2011-02-09, 08:56 PM
If you're going for a lot of natural weapons, perhaps a Permanancy'd Greater Magic Fang might be in order? Vulnerable to Dispel effects though, so it's a toss up.

Ravens_cry
2011-02-09, 09:57 PM
Magic Pants. I know there is no pants magic slot, but by Toutatis, if you are going to be shapeshifter who changes size, you need pants that can contain your, er, dignity, as it were.

Excession
2011-02-09, 10:30 PM
The size change and pants thing sparked a thought of an alternative answer: "Spandex! All spandex!"

Ravens_cry
2011-02-09, 10:42 PM
The size change and pants thing sparked a thought of an alternative answer: "Spandex! All spandex!"
Yes, but that's almost as exposing of your *ahem* dignity. And spandex and similarly stretchy fabrics are a quite recent innovation, even if hose is not. You know why Superman wears his underwear on the outside? Because similar costumes were worn by circus strongmen and other performers at the time of his introduction and such cloth as was available had a tendency to split at the crotch with acrobatics, exposing the gentiles. The looser over shorts kept things contained.

Kerghan
2011-02-09, 10:50 PM
If you're allowing 3.0 (or in this case just on the cusp of 3.5), you might try Beast Claws. Spiked gauntlets that let you use your base claw damage, but apply the enhancement bonus of the weapon to your attacks, and even deal an extra 1d6 points of damage.

Triskavanski
2011-02-10, 01:35 AM
A top hat:

That is also my only weakness as well. I came with in inches of actually purchasing the game, until I realized.. I'd have to spend over 119 dollars to get everything I need to play a werewolf in a top hat on wow.

Instead i used less than 100 dollars to buy a top hat and a great werewolf mask. :D

for werewolf character though..

Necklace of Natural attacks and Top hat of disguise.

And Loose fitting robes.

Course I'm in the camp where just because you shapeshift doesn't mean everything you are wearing suddenly explodes. I find it pretty dumb. Especially when you are bigger than your transformed counterpart.

BenInHB
2011-02-10, 01:42 AM
I don't play WoW 3of my players did, this became a joke amongst them. But yeah lets not go down that road.

As for offensive if you got natural claws upgrade them see if you can get them treated with silver, your teeth with Cold Iron.
If can't think of anything else at the moment so I'll get back to you.

Silver is not needed. IIRC your natural attacks overcome your own type of DR.

BobVosh
2011-02-10, 01:50 AM
Silver is not needed. IIRC your natural attacks overcome your own type of DR.

Correct.12

Kobold Esq
2011-02-10, 02:08 AM
Correct.12

Incorrect.

DR Magic monsters can overcome DR Magic.
DR Epic monsters can overcome DR Epic.
Creatures with alignment subtypes overcome DR that alignment.

That is it.

pilvento
2011-02-10, 02:20 PM
If you're allowing 3.0 (or in this case just on the cusp of 3.5), you might try Beast Claws. Spiked gauntlets that let you use your base claw damage, but apply the enhancement bonus of the weapon to your attacks, and even deal an extra 1d6 points of damage.

this option is very solid, ill tell my dm about it.

and i have a doubt now, if i use an amulet of natural attaks, it counts for both, claws and bite?, or just one???

what aobut wonderous items for shapeshifters or natural attack?

Gettles
2011-02-10, 02:49 PM
Go with this:

http://fast1.onesite.com/capcom-unity.com/user/talbain-fan/14b5aaf9c33f6a0f58fff8da7cc2b7df.jpg?v=202500

Keld Denar
2011-02-10, 02:53 PM
Things almost all mid-high level melee need:

+str
+con
+saves
short range teleports
personal haste
flight
Freedom of Movement
daze/stun immunity or removal
True Sight, or at least See Invisible
miss chance
Mind Blank
protection form negative levels
out of combat healing

That...should pretty well cover you. The items need not be continuous, depending on your DM, but should be relatively accessable.

pilvento
2011-02-10, 03:03 PM
Things almost all mid-high level melee need:

+str
+con
+saves
short range teleports
personal haste
flight
Freedom of Movement
daze/stun immunity or removal
True Sight, or at least See Invisible
miss chance
Mind Blank
protection form negative levels
out of combat healing

That...should pretty well cover you. The items need not be continuous, depending on your DM, but should be relatively accessable.

thanks thas the kind of answer im talking about, the best now for me is just sit and read the magic item compendium for now...

Keld Denar
2011-02-10, 03:30 PM
Freedom is a big one, and its not cheap. Freedom armor is 36000g + cost of armor, and thats the cheapest, but you aren't doing armor. FoM Ring is 40,000g.

Short range teleports are accessable a few ways. Aporter armor is a good way, but simple Anklets of Translocation would work too. Anklets are nice, because if you read in the fluff about FotF and whatnot, you bust up your shoes pretty bad. Anklets, in theory, shouldn't break. There's also Cloak of the Montebank in the DMG, but its oppresively expensive. If you can get your teleports from a feat, its probably better (Hidden Talent for Dimension Hop, then visit the Earth Node location (CPsi for both Dim Hop and Earth Node), you can teleport 10' as a swift action 7/day. Thats pretty good, but Hidden Talent has to be taken at 1st level.

Personal Haste is gonna be tough for you. You typically get it from the boots slot or armor slot. You won't really have either. You could probably ignore this one, especially if you are not using a bit 2hander.

Stun/Daze recovery is pretty easy. The Quick Recovery feat in Lords of Madness is the best way, but a Third Eye: Clarity (MIC) is a decent stand in. I'd get 1 to start with, and at about level 13ish get 2 more. You can swap them out between combats.

Protection from Negative Levels is also another one of those thats easy to get on armor, but not elsewhere. Death Ward armor from the MIC protects you from 1 attack per day for a +1 bonus, and all attacks for a +4 bonus. If you use the A&EG rules for Bracers of Armor, you have a cheap slot to go to.

Miss Chance is something you can get on a cloak (Minor Displacement, Major is a trap), or a Ring of Blinking. Ring of Blinking has an action cost though, and gives you a 20% miss chance, but it gives the best protection.

Flight, the best sources are Wings of Flying and Phoenix Cloak (MIC). Phoenix Cloak would probably be best for you, given your high movement speed. Both are really expensive, though, in the 50k+ range. Cheaper sources are Winged Boots (which you'll bust), or IIRC, there is a buckler that grants flight. If you can't afford it, it might be worthwhile to buy a couple of potions for now.

True Sight is easy. Scout's Headband (MIC), is 3400g. 1 minute of True Sight or 10 minutes of See Invis, once per day, your choice. Headband is cheap, get 2.

I guess that just leaves OOC healing. Buy a Wand of Lesser Vigor or 2. Each heals 550 HP in its life. Thats enough to bring you from dead to full ~5 times, each, at mid levels.

So yea...try to get as many of those things as you can with Runescar spells, and you'll save some money.

NekoJoker
2011-02-10, 03:35 PM
I really, truly... hate myself for doing this...

"Wild" armor enhancement from Masters of the Wild. Pg 29 and Wilding Clasp from the same book, Pg 30. That will make your equipement less... destroyable

pilvento
2011-02-10, 03:43 PM
I really, truly... hate myself for doing this...

"Wild" armor enhancement from Masters of the Wild. Pg 29 and Wilding Clasp from the same book, Pg 30. That will make your equipement less... destroyable

but the armor is not a problem since fist of the forest gives unarmed CON ac bonus.

thanks a lot for all that info Keld Denar :smallbiggrin:

Dreadn4ught
2011-02-10, 03:52 PM
Ever considered a were-fox?

Sorry, I was in a group with a half-fox druid with a fox companion. Kinda got the fox vibe into me.

Like some people have said, necklace of natural attacks is a good choice. There's not much more for me to add. The previous posters pretty much have it wrapped up.

Keld Denar
2011-02-10, 04:01 PM
No D at the end of my name...consider all advice officially revoked! :smallfurious:

pilvento
2011-02-10, 04:02 PM
No D at the end of my name...consider all advice officially revoked! :smallfurious:

lololol, corrected

Ever considered a were-fox?

Sorry, I was in a group with a half-fox druid with a fox companion. Kinda got the fox vibe into me.

Like some people have said, necklace of natural attacks is a good choice. There's not much more for me to add. The previous posters pretty much have it wrapped up.

true but i still have the doubt if the amulet counts for all my attaks

Keld Denar
2011-02-10, 04:11 PM
Amulet works for 1 attack, unless you pay for more. Somewhere between 3 attacks and 4 attacks, an Amulet of Mighty Fists becomes more cost effective, which is sad.

Thus, take advantage of your high Str and use a 2handed weapon or such, and then only use your bite attack as a secondary natural weapon. That'll save you some cashola on your weapon. Or just key it off your UAS, and admit that you're natural attacks will be worthless against anything with DR/Magic or that is Incorporial.

Alternative...take Shape Soulmeld: Astral Vambraces. That gives you DR 2/Magic, which, in turn, gives you the ability to overcome DR/Magic.

NekoJoker
2011-02-10, 04:11 PM
true but i still have the doubt if the amulet counts for all my attaks

The Savage Species book states that the Necklace of Natural Attacks applies to "one or more of the wearer's natural weapons" so bassically yes, it should apply to both bite and claw.

EDIT: yeah, it costs more to enhance more weapons, but it's still worth it I guess.

Still, it's up to the DM to see if it should work that way, but RAW it seems to be alowed Hell! it even gives the option to give the natural weapon the Throwing and Returning enhancements... can anyone say ROCKET PUCH!!

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/258/a/3/rocket_punch_by_seventh_flash-d2ypthr.jpg

pilvento
2011-02-10, 04:18 PM
Alternative...take Shape Soulmeld: Astral Vambraces. That gives you DR 2/Magic, which, in turn, gives you the ability to overcome DR/Magic.

sounds awesome, is that a feat? where can i find it?

NekoJoker
2011-02-10, 04:23 PM
Soulmeds and stuff are from Magic of Incarnum, you should have it On the Master Collection i lent you some time ago

Keld Denar
2011-02-10, 04:26 PM
Shape Soulmeld is a feat, yes. It allows you to shape any one soulmeld of your choice. Astral Vambraces is the soulmeld in question, and you can find it online in the Mind's Eye web enhancement, right next to the Soul Manifester PrC and a few other psionic/magic transparancies that were unfortunately ommited from MoI.

Kris Strife
2011-02-10, 04:40 PM
Wouldn't Kensai be a good choice here, so that the natural attacks can be enchanted?

pilvento
2011-02-10, 04:42 PM
Wouldn't Kensai be a good choice here, so that the natural attacks can be enchanted?

i wold be an exelent choice, i also get a big str bonus.

but:

1) one of the players played a kensay in the last campaig so i dont really like to.

2)lawfull

Kerghan
2011-02-10, 07:04 PM
this option is very solid, ill tell my dm about it.

and i have a doubt now, if i use an amulet of natural attaks, it counts for both, claws and bite?, or just one???

what aobut wonderous items for shapeshifters or natural attack?

You'd have pay for each natural attack as if you were purchasing an additional weapon with the same enhancements.

i.e. If the amulet had the +1 keen enhancements, that costs $8,000+ gold and would apply to only one of your natural weapons (such as a claw attack), and thus you have pay twice as much for it to apply to both claw attacks, and triple for your claw and bite attacks.

I could possibly be incorrect, so I would recommend checking out Savage Species. Keep in mind yet again that it's not technically 3.5, so if that's an issue, you might want to speak with your DM about converting it or go with another option. Be sure to take multiattack, and improved multiattack as well.

pilvento
2011-02-10, 08:01 PM
You'd have pay for each natural attack as if you were purchasing an additional weapon with the same enhancements.

i.e. If the amulet had the +1 keen enhancements, that costs $8,000+ gold and would apply to only one of your natural weapons (such as a claw attack), and thus you have pay twice as much for it to apply to both claw attacks, and triple for your claw and bite attacks.

I could possibly be incorrect, so I would recommend checking out Savage Species. Keep in mind yet again that it's not technically 3.5, so if that's an issue, you might want to speak with your DM about converting it or go with another option. Be sure to take multiattack, and improved multiattack as well.

yes, and that a lot of money so i better check it out, unless i convice my dm to make the amulet like a weapon of legacy :smallamused:

Kerghan
2011-02-10, 08:14 PM
You might also want to consider feats like Roofwalker, and Roofjumper (Cityscape). The latter has an interesting ability that lets you deal falling damage to targets you leap on from the appropriate height (such as 1d6 damage for 10 ft). This would work well with magic items that decrease damage you take from falling, but don't reduce the fall (i.e. featherfall, flight effects then it wouldn't work). Boots of Landing out of the Magic Item Compendium reduce falling by 20ft for damage purposes (I believe) and are substantially cheap all things considered. It might be a little too The Wolfman flavored, but it's still effective. However, considering you'd have to take two feats and always spend a portion of your turn getting to the sufficient height to deal an acceptable amount of damage, it might not be worth the trouble.

pilvento
2011-02-11, 07:50 AM
You might also want to consider feats like Roofwalker, and Roofjumper (Cityscape). The latter has an interesting ability that lets you deal falling damage to targets you leap on from the appropriate height (such as 1d6 damage for 10 ft). This would work well with magic items that decrease damage you take from falling, but don't reduce the fall (i.e. featherfall, flight effects then it wouldn't work). Boots of Landing out of the Magic Item Compendium reduce falling by 20ft for damage purposes (I believe) and are substantially cheap all things considered. It might be a little too The Wolfman flavored, but it's still effective. However, considering you'd have to take two feats and always spend a portion of your turn getting to the sufficient height to deal an acceptable amount of damage, it might not be worth the trouble.

love it, but im really short of feats do to the PrC requirements

Kerghan
2011-02-11, 11:58 AM
Its more catered to thief acrobat, and free running characters.

true_shinken
2011-02-11, 12:19 PM

Man, which book is that from?

Keld Denar
2011-02-11, 12:32 PM
Given his mention of being on the cusp of 3.0 and 3.5, and being an item that is useful for monsters and monstrous PCs, I'd put money on Savage Species.

pilvento
2011-02-11, 03:08 PM
Its more catered to thief acrobat, and free running characters.

yes, im just looking for brutal amounts of str modifiers to trip/grab/toss enemies/party members

Kerghan
2011-02-11, 08:34 PM
Too bad your feats are mostly accounted for, cause Improved Natural Attack (claw) would work fairly well for your build when combined with morphic weapons ability granted by the Warshaper PrC.

pilvento
2011-02-11, 09:23 PM
early feats are the proble, endurance, unarmed attak, power attak, iron will for runescar berserker etc. but imp natural will be on the list for shure

Loki Eremes
2011-02-12, 12:11 AM
Pilvento's future DM here.
For the matter of the amulet in the Savage Species, i will consider it as Khergan
recommended it.

Why?
Simple, a normal TWF character normally have to spend his money in both of his weapons.
Allowing the amulet to work for each of your natural attacks will significally reduce the costs in that field.

In this case, 2 claws + 1 bite, lets say +10 worth of enhancments will be about 200k.
When someone with lets say, 2 weapons is already spending 400k.

So, "Amulet enhancements applies to all natural attacks"
http://i.ehow.com/images/a05/8c/po/learn-home-mortgage-loan-denied-200X200.jpg

[PD: For the love of Eilistraee, add to your sign that you are also sry for the spelling errors]

pilvento
2011-02-12, 08:22 AM
[PD: For the love of Eilistraee, add to your sign that you are also sry for the spelling errors]

NEBERRRR! GO MAKE ME A LEGACY WEAPON