PDA

View Full Version : Manipulator/Cult leader

CycloneJoker
2011-02-09, 09:40 PM
Okay, say I want to build someone who is really good with people, and has a cult, or other group, of fanatic followers, and can, well, manipulate people like Silly Putty in his hands. So I ask you, going from Beguiler, what can I do to make this character beyond what the Beguiler already can?

Thurbane
2011-02-10, 08:06 PM
A Mindbender dip is probably good (1 level is usually recommended).

Maybe Arcane Disciple to pick up a domain - Domination, Greed, Pride or something else thematically apt (although some of these domains will have a lot of crossover with the Beguiler spell list).

CycloneJoker
2011-02-10, 09:19 PM
A Mindbender dip is probably good (1 level is usually recommended).

Maybe Arcane Disciple to pick up a domain - Domination, Greed, Pride or something else thematically apt (although some of these domains will have a lot of crossover with the Beguiler spell list).

But one level only get Telepathy, what does that get you?

Arcane Disciple, I can definitely see some use there.

Any more thoughts?

SurlySeraph
2011-02-10, 09:22 PM
@^: You can use it to get Mindsight, which is a very nice ability.

Thrallherd is totally designed for this.

Urpriest
2011-02-10, 09:24 PM
Similarly Fiend of Blasphemy is an awesome concept, though it would be tricky to execute and would severely gimp your casting.

CycloneJoker
2011-02-10, 09:35 PM
@^: You can use it to get Mindsight, which is a very nice ability.

Thrallherd is totally designed for this.
Oh, Mindsight is useful.

That was my first thought, but my DM hates Psionics.

Similarly Fiend of Blasphemy is an awesome concept, though it would be tricky to execute and would severely gimp your casting.

Any way to do a similar thing without losing casting, or getting something worth it in a tier 3-4 game?

Silus
2011-02-10, 09:38 PM
Just a suggestion, but how about the Evangelist class from Complete Divine? Seems to fit the cult leader thing, at least for the social aspect...

CycloneJoker
2011-02-10, 09:43 PM
Just a suggestion, but how about the Evangelist class from Complete Divine? Seems to fit the cult leader thing, at least for the social aspect...

While Evangelist is awesome, and I do love the Convert bit, I'd rather go with Mindbender if I was going to lose five levels.

Urpriest
2011-02-10, 10:05 PM
Straight Beguiler is probably the best class for this really. They've already got a pretty impressive arsenal of mind control and manipulation, there's not too much you can do to get better at it.

CycloneJoker
2011-02-10, 11:04 PM
Straight Beguiler is probably the best class for this really. They've already got a pretty impressive arsenal of mind control and manipulation, there's not too much you can do to get better at it.

Is there anything similar to Mindbender that doesn't screw your casting, or is there anything similar to the Thrallherd but magic?

Thurbane
2011-02-10, 11:46 PM
I was going to suggest the Insidious Corruptor PrC for DotU, but that's only 5/10 casting as well, and also Drow only. :smallfrown: