PDA

View Full Version : Would having more Arms effect "Flurry of Blows"

Sims
2011-02-09, 10:08 PM
I know it never states this or anything near it on the monk abilities. Im just curious as to what you guys think. Like if a Marilith were an epic Monk (lol we know its impossible for several reasons. Mainly being Chaotic)

I sorta wanted to play as a race with 4 arms. (Like Goro from Mortal Kombat. Imagine a large size category Monk with flurry of blows!)

ex cathedra
2011-02-09, 10:13 PM
I know it never states this or anything near it on the monk abilities. Im just curious as to what you guys think. Like if a Marilith were an epic Monk (lol we know its impossible for several reasons. Mainly being Chaotic)

I sorta wanted to play as a race with 4 arms. (Like Goro from Mortal Kombat. Imagine a large size category Monk with flurry of blows!)

No. A monk can already use any part of their body as an unarmed strike; by that logic, you could flurry with both fists, both elbows, both feet, both knees, your headbutt, and your pelvis. Obviously, this isn't the case. You can still attack with all of her arms plus the normal FoB effects, but there's no reason to change Flurry just because you have a couple extra arms.

Also, the main reason that a Marilith couldn't become an epic monk is that it involves epic play with a monk.

Keld Denar
2011-02-09, 10:22 PM
The number of "sets" of iterative attacks you can gain is intrinsically linked to the number of limbs you have that can wield weapons. If you can wield 4 swords, you could make 4 sets of iteratives with your UAS (assuming you have feats in the Multiweapon Fighting feat chain).

That said, FoB isn't an iterative attack. Its an additional attack gained in addition to the normal attacks you make with a full attack. Its more like Rapid Shot with your fists than TWFing. If you think of it like that, it makes a lot more sense.

Typewriter
2011-02-09, 10:28 PM
The above posters have already mentioned that FoB won't be improved with additional limbs because the monk is one weapon. A monk with no arms and no legs gets the same amount of attacks as a monk with 8 of each. Mobility may be an issue, but if you're in headbutt range you get the exact same number of attacks.

That being said, as I understand it, secondary attacks from natural weapons (bites/claws/etc.) can still be made secondary to the FoB. Wizards ran a 3 page article on this at some point, I'll try and find a link to it if you're interested...

Actually, a 2 second google found that. Here you go: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20070403a