PDA

View Full Version : Spells that work well in wands?

Vin Robinson
2011-02-09, 10:53 PM
Topic says it all. I would like to cover all my bases. Long-duration buffs, Battlefield control, healing.

Anything that works well in a wand.

Blasting is pretty much taken care of with Cull Wand Essence.

senrath
2011-02-09, 11:21 PM
Knock is a fun one to stick in a wand. Lesser Vigor is also very popular.

Reynard
2011-02-09, 11:24 PM
Cure X Wounds negates the need for Clerics to be heal-bots.

senrath
2011-02-09, 11:30 PM
Cure X Wounds negates the need for Clerics to be heal-bots.

Lesser Vigor is a better value, though, since it heals more per GP. And neither are good at in-combat healing, anyway.

LordBlades
2011-02-10, 02:26 AM
Lesser Vigor is a better value, though, since it heals more per GP. And neither are good at in-combat healing, anyway.

This. CLW is 1d8+1, average 5.5 HP, max 9 HP. Lesser Vigor is 11 HP.

Coidzor
2011-02-10, 02:33 AM
Enlarge Person is alright, since fights generally don't last over a minute.

Cure Light and Lesser Vigor are both good options, of course...

Beyond that... not sure.

Jarian
2011-02-10, 02:43 AM
Grease is decent in a wand, since you're usually going more for the flat-footed while balancing bit moreso than the actual fall, beyond the first few levels.

Keld Denar
2011-02-10, 02:44 AM
Benign Transposition is seriously about the most useful wand spell ever. You can use it for just about anything, and its almost completely CL independant.

Entangle is also great. Even though the save will be low, its still difficult terrain.

Contrary to some suggestions, Grease isn't that good of a spell for wands. The 1 round duration is a little oppressive, meaning that you need a dedicated wand wielder in order for your party to take advantage of the condition. Also, the save will be low. The only thing a Wand of Grease would be good for is chain-tripping a golem or other large clumsy foe while your party kills it from afar.

Hida Reju
2011-02-10, 02:46 AM
The following come up a lot in our games

1. Mage Armor - Monks, All mage types, Animal compaions, and familars.
2. Knock (already mentioned)
3. Lesser Vigor (already mentioned)
4. Shield of Faith - This one only if someone crafted it at caster lvl
5. Entangle
6. Web
7. Bull Str or Cat's Grace
8. Fireball (Still gets used pre lvl 10 for some reason)
9. Fly

Usually its best to put a spell that caster lvl does not matter for or the minimum is fine.

Jarian
2011-02-10, 02:53 AM
The 1 round duration is a little oppressive, meaning that you need a dedicated wand wielder in order for your party to take advantage of the condition.

Or, just a thought, get a wand higher than CL 1?

I mean, really, balance on monsters is rare. Automatic flatfootedness for X rounds on almost everything isn't worth a few hundred more gp? It gets even better if your DM allows partially charged wands, so that you don't have to burn massive amounts of your low level wealth on one.

Zaq
2011-02-10, 03:06 AM
Haste will, at default wand CL, last for five rounds and affect five targets. Depending on the size of your group and the lengths of your combats, this may be worth it. (I mean, come on—it's Haste.) Likewise, Solid Fog has a long enough duration that it's nearly CL-independent, and it's a staple.

On rogues and other melee types, a (chambered) wand of Wraithstrike is invaluable.

I'm fond of Omen of Peril, personally. It's more accurate with a higher CL, of course, but it can be a good "I dunno, SHOULD we poke around in the dark well?" gut check. Best of all, it's 1st level and has no material component, so it's cheap.

Killer Angel
2011-02-10, 03:06 AM
Long-duration buffs.

Usually, these are more useful as you increase the caster level.
A Wand of mage armor won't last long.

HunterOfJello
2011-02-10, 03:11 AM
For Sorc/Wiz:
Nerveskitter(SC) - Immediate Action casting time to give a ally at close range +5 to initiative at the start of a fight
Prestidigitation (PHB) - Pretty much 50 charges of 'Minor Wish'
Benign Transposition (SC) - The gorillon is grappling with the gnome rogue? No, I think he should be grappling with the Half-Ogre Barbarian.
Mount (PHB) - This spell is a written invitation to be creative.
Unseen Servant (PHB) - Because Horses don't know how to open doors
Mage Armor (PHB) - Lasts an hour and can free up spell slots
Ghost Sound (PHB) - Obvious

Bards:
Swift Invisibility (SC) - Gives Invisibility for 1 round as a swift action. 2nd lvl spell for Wiz/Sorc but 1st level for Bards. Use this at the beginning of each of your turns in a fight and you almost have a Blink effect.
Inspirational Boost (SC) - Another swift action spell. This one gives you +1 to your Inspire Courage ability, which is always nice.

Cleric:
Faith Healing (SC) - Wand would give 9 hp per cast to allies who worship the same deity as you (or in this case, the creator of the wand).
Lesser Vigor (SC) - Highly useful and popular wand.
Sigh (SC) - Gives +4 to initiative for 10 min/lvl. In a wand that will give you bonus initiative for the next ten minutes per cast. Not as good as Nerveskitter, but still darn useful.
Omen of Peril (SC) - "Am I in danger right now?" is always a good question to know the answer to.
Resurgence (SC) - Pretty amazing spell
Comprehend Languges (PHB) - You likely won't use this too often, but will be happy to have it when necessary.
Hide from Undead (PHB) - This spell can be just plain broken in many situations.

Druid:
Snake's Swiftness (SC) - A close ally gets to make a single melee or ranged attack. Not an amazing spell, but one that could be highly useful in the right situation. An extra sneak attack from a rogue or Power Attack from a barbarian might be worth the effort.
Speak with Animals (PHB) - "Hey Dog. How's it goin? I like your fur. That looks really great. So you're a dog right? What's that all about? ... Okay, well it was great to mett you. Say hi to your mother for me, okay?"

Multiple Classes:
Summon ________ I - Great for springing traps or scaring commoners

Rogues:
Ray of Frost - Sneak Touch Attacks until you can afford the gloves that will let you use the spell at-will.

Halae
2011-02-10, 03:52 AM
If you're an artificer I believe there's a spel that givs you action points every round. Considering Artificers can cast from wands using action points rather than charges, it gets pretty nasty

manyslayer
2011-02-10, 08:21 AM
Very situational, but our group made good use of a wand of Stand (swift, target stands from prone with no attack fo opportunity). We were fighting off a horde of goblin worg-riders so trip attacks were hurting us a lot. The duskblade put a wand in her chambered longsword and we annoyed the hell out of the worgs.

dextercorvia
2011-02-10, 08:56 AM
A wand of True Strike kept my 6th level wizard alive while being grappled by some Large Croc-like creature for an extra three-four rounds. If only my party had done anything to help me in that time....

Tyndmyr
2011-02-10, 09:01 AM
Topic says it all. I would like to cover all my bases. Long-duration buffs, Battlefield control, healing.

Anything that works well in a wand.

Blasting is pretty much taken care of with Cull Wand Essence.

Wings of Cover. It's rare for me to make high op chars without one of these. It's one of the best uses for an immediate action.

CigarPete
2011-02-10, 09:08 AM
At the moment I have a wand of detect magic, because we always seem to be running out of 0 level spells, once message is cast a few times, and open/close would be a good one as well, especially if you have no trapfinder in the group. Just picked up a wand of Enervation, but I think that will have limited usability. Might have to give it to the Bard, since he has ranks in UMD and I can just cast the spell at a much higher caster level. I am pretty sure RAW it is always a standard to use a wand. Would reduce the usage of a most of the swift action casting spells.

Tyndmyr
2011-02-10, 09:12 AM
Oh, detect magic is solid, yes. I prefer eternal wands for things like that, though. I tend to use detect magic every day, but it's rare that I use it a lot of times in one day.

Open/close I would use a regular wand, because that'll tend to come up over and over in dungeon crawls.

true_shinken
2011-02-10, 09:15 AM
Primal Instinct.
24-hour duration... +5 to initiative and +5 to something else no one cares about.

Ernir
2011-02-10, 09:15 AM
I am pretty sure RAW it is always a standard to use a wand. Would reduce the usage of a most of the swift action casting spells.

This was changed in the Rules Compendium.

Runestar
2011-02-10, 09:20 AM
I am pretty fond of chained nerveskitter myself (effectively granting the entire party +5 initiative as an immediate action), though it can be quite costly in a wand.

CigarPete
2011-02-10, 09:32 AM
This was changed in the Rules Compendium.

Ah, too bad my DM doesn't use Rules Compendium. I want to say having a wraithstrike chambered wand would be really cool, but that would mean more crafting time and feats for me, and I have better things to do with my in-game time.

Kansaschaser
2011-02-10, 09:47 AM
Wand of Wand Modulation + any other wands.

Always keep a 4th, 3rd, 2nd, and 1st level wand with you and you can cast any 3rd level or lower spell any time you need it.

Tyndmyr
2011-02-10, 09:53 AM
If you're a wizard, Mnemonic Enhancer is generally a superior version of the same strategy. Keeping a wand of that around is FANTASTIC for low level spell endurance.

rye0006
2011-02-10, 11:05 AM
Primal Instinct.
24-hour duration... +5 to initiative and +5 to something else no one cares about.

What book is this spell from? sounds like a great idea - 24hour duration means no waste of actions in combat.

Also, I've forgotten what book wand chambers are from. how much are they? do you think you could fit 2 wand chambers into a longbow?

FMArthur
2011-02-10, 11:09 AM
Wand chambers are from Dungeonscape. I'm not sure what the cost is or what you can apply it to.

true_shinken
2011-02-10, 11:25 AM
What book is this spell from? sounds like a great idea - 24hour duration means no waste of actions in combat.

Also, I've forgotten what book wand chambers are from. how much are they? do you think you could fit 2 wand chambers into a longbow?

Dragon Magic, IIRC

FMArthur
2011-02-10, 11:43 AM
It's in Dungeonscape, but all it says is that the weapon costs more, without saying how much more. As a fully-mundane process I can't imagine it would cost much, though. It does say that there needs to be a solid hilt or handle at least 6 inches in length. The whole longbow needs to bend however. I'll bet there are existing exotic bows with swords on both ends or something similarly ridiculous for you to put wand chambers in. :smallbiggrin:

Even if you can't manage it, wand chambers are only for making it so that you are considered to have the wand ready while wielding a weapon. You could just buy a Spare Hand (12000gp, MiC), a Glove of Storing (10000gp, DMG) or a Glove of the Master Strategist (3600gp, Ghostwalk) and store the wand in it for retrieval as a free action.

Keld Denar
2011-02-10, 11:50 AM
Check the table FMArthur. The cost is on the table. I think its 100g.

You can add it to any weapon or shield. I don't know if you could add 2 to a double weapon though.

dextercorvia
2011-02-10, 12:08 PM

You can add it to any weapon or shield. I don't know if you could add 2 to a double weapon though.

Most pieces of equipment can have only one modification, though double weapons can support two (one on each end).

It is 100gp. So a standard humanoid could have 8 6 wands ready at any given time. Staff in each hand and a buckler on each arm. Weird looking, though.

Edit: Basic counting fail

Kansaschaser
2011-02-10, 12:15 PM
It is 100gp. So a standard humanoid could have 8 wands ready at any given time. Staff in each hand and a buckler on each arm. Weird looking, though.

Wouldn't that be 6 wands?

2 staffs each with two wands = 4 wands

2 buckler each with one wand = 2 wands

2 + 4 = 6

Or did I miss something?

FMArthur
2011-02-10, 12:17 PM
Maybe shield/armor spikes can have wand chambers?

dextercorvia
2011-02-10, 12:28 PM
Wouldn't that be 6 wands?

2 staffs each with two wands = 4 wands

2 buckler each with one wand = 2 wands

2 + 4 = 6

Or did I miss something?

What did I do? Maybe I was assuming each buckler was also a double weapon.

I will edit my post.

Tyndmyr
2011-02-10, 01:01 PM
Boot blades with wands.

Never mind...Gnomish quickrazors with wands. Draw them and put them away as free actions. An endless supply of wands!

true_shinken
2011-02-10, 01:55 PM
Oh, abusing wand chambers by putting wands inside weapons smaller than wands. Yeah. Just dodge the books flying at you while you leave and never ever come to my table. :smalltongue:

FMArthur
2011-02-10, 03:00 PM
Boot blades with wands.

Never mind...Gnomish quickrazors with wands. Draw them and put them away as free actions. An endless supply of wands!

I am almost positive you can only put them away as a free action when it's part of attack.

Claudius Maximus
2011-02-10, 03:03 PM
What's next, wand chambers in wands?

Yo dawg...

flabort
2011-02-10, 03:08 PM
Wand of Genisis.

Wut?

ericgrau
2011-02-10, 03:37 PM
Invisibility and cure light wounds (or lesser vigor) are always worth wanding IMO. Others are used infrequently enough that I'd usually want them on scrolls or potions. Or have saves, which make them almost pointless on wands.

Enlarge person and other buffs are neat ideas, with an irrelevant save and re-usability - but it still seems rather narrow. Either you need a very specific build or you're handing the wand off to a caster, in which case why not ask him to prepare the spell? You only use it 1-3 times per day. You're going to gain 5-10 levels before that wand is used up at that rate. Unlike the other two mentioned spells which are easily spammable.

A lot of the utility stuff is a neat idea if frequently used. At only 375 gp for 50 charges I might be tempted to get wands of cantrips too. Especially detect magic.

HMS Invincible
2011-02-10, 04:18 PM
Question, some of the spells on the wands are for immediate action use. Are you saying you can activate wands and cast as an immediate/swift action?

Stegyre
2011-02-10, 04:22 PM
Question, some of the spells on the wands are for immediate action use. Are you saying you can activate wands and cast as an immediate/swift action?
Yes. As stated up-thread, Rules Compendium states that activation time for a wand is the same as for the spell: if it's a swift (or immediate) spell, activating a wand with that spell is a swift (or immediate) action.

No brains
2011-02-10, 04:22 PM
It is 100gp. So a standard humanoid could have 8 6 wands ready at any given time. Staff in each hand and a buckler on each arm. Weird looking, though.

Edit: Basic counting fail

Because a staff is also a weapon (a staff) can't you also chamber them? Now you've stepped in yo dawg.

Gnaeus
2011-02-10, 04:24 PM

If you use Rules Compendium, yes.

Also, how has no one mentioned Blinding Spittle? It is an awesome wand! No save or level dependent variables. Blinds opponents until they can wash their eyes with water.

Keld Denar
2011-02-10, 04:28 PM
Friends don't let friends play in games with Blinding Spittle.

dextercorvia
2011-02-10, 04:33 PM
Because a staff is also a weapon (a staff) can't you also chamber them? Now you've stepped in yo dawg.

That is where 4 of the wands are chambered. But yes the staffs can also be enchanted. The other two are in the bucklers.

Gnaeus
2011-02-10, 04:33 PM
Friends don't let friends play in games with Blinding Spittle.

It isn't that bad. It comes at the same level as Blindness (Fort save or perma-blind) and Glitterdust (AOE Will save or blind through most of combat+ utility). Throw in the ability to remove it in a round if you have a source of water, the ranged touch at -4 to hit, and how many things can ignore blindness, and it isn't a game breaker. But it does make a great wand.

Amnestic
2011-02-10, 04:40 PM

It is indeed. Table's on page 30 of Dungeonscape.

Edit: Should really have noticed there's a second page to this thread :smallredface:

gomipile
2011-02-10, 04:50 PM
No Light(BoVD.) A 375 gold wand that grants total concealment? Sign me up!

*Typing BoVD always makes me think "Book of Venereal Disease."

No brains
2011-02-10, 05:08 PM
*Typing BoVD always makes me think "Book of Venereal Disease."

I just abbreviate it BVD. Underpants book.

Also, thanks for pointing that out about the staffs. But don't both ends of a staff count as a wand themselves? Do you chamber a double weapon only once or in both ends?

Fox Box Socks
2011-02-10, 05:11 PM
Wands of Invisibility work pretty good until the DM decides that he's going to start using guard dogs.

Thurbane
2011-02-11, 03:01 AM
Wand of Heroics...especially if your DM reads the spell stacking rules as allowing the same spell multiple times with different effects. Hello, feat chains! :smallbiggrin:

Also, Wand of Acid Splash is better for sneak attacking than ray of frost...no SR (and less monsters seem to be resistant/imune to acid than cold, and also useful for trolls).

Boot blades with wands.

If you've got Quickdraw, you can draw a weapon as a free action. Just carry a bunch of weapons with wand-chambers in a bandoleer, and drop them when you're done. Then all you need is a method to retrieve them...a familiar or Unseen Servant might do the trick

Amnestic
2011-02-11, 03:09 AM
If you've got Quickdraw, you can draw a weapon as a free action. Just carry a bunch of weapons with wand-chambers in a bandoleer, and drop them when you're done. Then all you need is a method to retrieve them...a familiar or Unseen Servant might do the trick

Alternatively you could spend 300gp on one Wand Bracer and draw them as a Swift Action. Admittedly it's not free like Quick Draw (both feat cost and the action), but it's probably cheaper than a bunch of weapons with Wand Chambers in them.

Tyndmyr
2011-02-11, 09:39 AM
I am almost positive you can only put them away as a free action when it's part of attack.

Hmmm...so does casting a spell on someone count as an attack? (thinks of the various ways in which attack is used in D&D) Granted, this would only work for putting away wands with offensive spells on them, but still.

Of course, I suppose you could just quickdraw them, and attach a short rope from the wand to you, so dropping them doesn't mean you need to retrieve them later. Probably the easiest way.

Still, I like wand chambers, since they allow me to threaten areas for flanking purposes.

Kansaschaser
2011-02-11, 09:47 AM
Hmmm...so does casting a spell on someone count as an attack? (thinks of the various ways in which attack is used in D&D) Granted, this would only work for putting away wands with offensive spells on them, but still.

Of course, I suppose you could just quickdraw them, and attach a short rope from the wand to you, so dropping them doesn't mean you need to retrieve them later. Probably the easiest way.

Still, I like wand chambers, since they allow me to threaten areas for flanking purposes.

Attaching Gossamer lines to the end of the wands works better than rope or thread. Rope is bulky and heavy. Thread can snap too easily.

Gossamer lines are as thing a thread, nearly invisible, and as strong as rope.

Wouldn't it just be easier to cast Girralons Blessing to hold onto more wands?

dextercorvia
2011-02-11, 09:57 AM
I just abbreviate it BVD. Underpants book.

Also, thanks for pointing that out about the staffs. But don't both ends of a staff count as a wand themselves? Do you chamber a double weapon only once or in both ends?

Both ends of the staff count as weapons. A Staff (Spell Trigger Magic Item) only has one "end" as far as spells go. But, as a double weapon, it could hold two wand chambers. That is what we were saying.

@Kansaschaser, Put your hands together. Girallon's Blessing lets you hold 4 staffs each with two wand chambers and wear 4 bucklers each with a wand chamber. I'll let somebody else do the math to figure out how many wands that is available. But it would alleviate the remaining problem of immediate action wands, that of having it out.

Edit: Now begin as a (Nonpsionic) ThriKreen.