PDA

View Full Version : A FUN trap dungeon.

Shinizak
2011-02-10, 02:33 AM
I want to make a fun dungeon (about level 9) that's not just "I'm a rogue, I search for traps."

Ideally most of the traps should be obvious but just plain tough to get around. I'm looking for your thoughts. I have a past trap already there though.

The touch of Midas.

They have two objectives:

Retrieve the ________ to unlock the door.

Fight the enemy

Everything they touch in that room petrifies, they have a stone golem in that room they need to fight. problem is, if they attempt cure light wounds (or anything else with a range of touch) on an ally then they're only going to petrify that ally. This pretty much means that fighting the golem head on is not an option, and when they try to fight the golem they're going to have to draw their weapons which will turn to stone when they attempt it.

After the Golem, they still need to retrieve the scroll with out turning the contents to stone. Remember that it wont be as simple as "I use a handkerchief to pick up the scroll" since the handkerchief will turn to stone also.

Hida Reju
2011-02-10, 03:17 AM
Try to find a copy of Dungeonscape from WOTC its one of the better sourcebooks out there.

One I worked on was a Dungeon that involved teleportation traps and acted like a maze. Some traps teleported you others teleported things into the room.

One of the traps that had to be overcome was a trap that filled the room full of water. You had to find the trap door to let the water out of the room.

Another one I liked was a group of floating chain platforms that you had to use a grappling hook to pull one over then board it then swing from one platform to another.

There are endless ways to do a fun trap dungeon.

TurtleKing
2011-02-10, 05:20 AM
In regards to your spoilered trap spellcasters work best here. Blast Stone Golem to bits or just cast Stone to Mud/Sand to get rid of it. The spell Mage Hand or its greater version could work. If the players don't have that spell Hand of the Mage works as well which only costs 900 gp that lets you use Mage Hand at will.

pasko77
2011-02-10, 05:27 AM
In regards to your spoilered trap spellcasters work best here. Blast Stone Golem to bits or just cast Stone to Mud/Sand to get rid of it. The spell Mage Hand or its greater version could work. If the players don't have that spell Hand of the Mage works as well which only costs 900 gp that lets you use Mage Hand at will.

It is almost annoying how there is ALWAYS a spell that ruins fun traps.

Axinian
2011-02-10, 06:57 AM
It is almost annoying how there is ALWAYS a spell that ruins fun traps.

Only almost? :smallconfused:

My players seem to enjoy traps that aren't necessarily lethal, or even particularly threatening, but rather serve as barriers and roadblocks. As such, I tend to leave the killing to the monsters. That's not to say that there shouldn't be some traps that pose a threat, but they should be sparse in my opinion.

The Big Dice
2011-02-10, 07:38 AM
Get yourself a copy of this (http://www.nobleknight.com/ProductDetailSearch.asp_Q_ProductID_E_8826_A_Inven toryID_E_2147610022_A_ProductLineID_E__A_Manufactu rerID_E__A_CategoryID_E__A_GenreID_E_). Grimtooth's Dungeon of Doom is Tomb of Horrors done right. And it's a systemless dungeon, so there's no "Roll Search. Found it. Roll Disable Device. It's safe" to worry about.

dsmiles
2011-02-10, 07:40 AM
Two words:

Grimtooth's Traps

EDIT: Dice ninja'd.
http://images5.cpcache.com/product_zoom/446356215v3_400x400_Front_Color-White.jpg

Tyndmyr
2011-02-10, 09:09 AM
I want to make a fun dungeon (about level 9) that's not just "I'm a rogue, I search for traps."

Ideally most of the traps should be obvious but just plain tough to get around. I'm looking for your thoughts. I have a past trap already there though.

Fun trap dungeon? Tomb of Horrors.

Also, touch of midas can easily be defeated with a spellcaster. Granted, you have to choose spells carefully with golems in mind, but I usually pick a coupla things that work well on things that are resistant/immune to magic.

FMArthur
2011-02-10, 09:19 AM
I like to scatter utilitarian traps in dungeons that have long-since abandoned living quarters. Nothing beats the look on the Rogue's face when his handy Evasion saves him from a dropping cafeteria food tray.

Cyrion
2011-02-10, 09:37 AM
A room full of large bubbles floating around. Touching a bubble bursts it which inflicts one of a variety of maledictions on the one who pops it. Maybe a small amount of damage, they glow with a light spell, any object they try to touch teleports 5 ft. away, etc.