PDA

View Full Version : Idea for a concept[3.5]

Silverlich
2011-02-10, 06:10 AM
So, my character will be a telepath psion, and I have an...interesting idea for his personality. He is not the clichéd evil, but rather, Blue and Orange morality. He is obsessed with knowledge. He might torture another person, but that would not be because he was angry. It would be because he was observing the effects of torture methodically and taking notes for his own knowledge. This is the kind of character who would make life difficult for somebody simply as an assessment of their character. He is fairly scientific, but his interests are very disturbing. How does it sound?

GodGoblin
2011-02-10, 06:26 AM
Ah thats a pretty cool concept, In some ways you could actually play him as NN if he is doing it all for the sake of research. Unless of course his study is nearly always on the evil side. But yeah its a really cool concept, good luck with it :smallsmile:

Adamaro
2011-02-10, 06:27 AM
It sounds like someone who will half an hour into a game get 20d6 damage, no save.

Also will be smitten at-will by any non-evil character.

Saintheart
2011-02-10, 07:21 AM
This is basically Spock of the mirror universe, is it not? :smallsmile:

Beelzebub1111
2011-02-10, 07:33 AM
Remember that while YOU work on blue and orange morality, the world does not. Torture is one of those things that is irrevocably evil, no matter what the purpose is.

Prepare to be Lawful Evil and experience the penalties and benefits as such.

dsmiles
2011-02-10, 12:02 PM
Prepare to be Lawful Evil and experience the penalties and benefits as such.I'd also place him/her/it solidly in the LE camp.

TalonDemonKing
2011-02-10, 12:26 PM
I don't know about LE; while torture is a LE act, he could also be trying to find a cure to a disease -- After all, is that also not the persuit of knowledge?

Lawful neutral would be my vote.

Ontop of that, if you're in the persuit of -knowledge- the best thing you can do is use it. Torture, while might be interesting, would be ultimately frowned if caught, and if you take measures not to get caught, you look that much more wrong when you do. Your charater should know this, and not do 'Evil for the knowlulzge'; as it would end up you getting caught, imprisoned (Or worse), and ultimatly hamper your abilities to seek knowledge.

Although if you want to play up 'Evil' a bit more, you could consult black dragons, Vecna cultists, or other evil-individuals for their notes and knowledge; which might make your teammates uncomfortable, but hardly punishiable (minus paladin logic, at least).

Amnestic
2011-02-10, 01:49 PM
Pick up a (Eternal) Wand of Scholar's Touch (750-820gp), since that spell lets you completely 'read' a book simply by touching it, allowing you to absorb all knowledge therein. Flavourful goodness. Gloves of Object Reading (MIC) would probably come in handy too.

Sounds like a decent enough character concept, though prepare for friction with your party.

navar100
2011-02-10, 02:10 PM
I don't know about LE; while torture is a LE act, he could also be trying to find a cure to a disease -- After all, is that also not the persuit of knowledge?

Lawful neutral would be my vote.

Ontop of that, if you're in the persuit of -knowledge- the best thing you can do is use it. Torture, while might be interesting, would be ultimately frowned if caught, and if you take measures not to get caught, you look that much more wrong when you do. Your charater should know this, and not do 'Evil for the knowlulzge'; as it would end up you getting caught, imprisoned (Or worse), and ultimatly hamper your abilities to seek knowledge.

Although if you want to play up 'Evil' a bit more, you could consult black dragons, Vecna cultists, or other evil-individuals for their notes and knowledge; which might make your teammates uncomfortable, but hardly punishiable (minus paladin logic, at least).

Insert alignment debate. :smallsmile:

In D&D land, torture is Evil. The torturer can justify it however he likes, even doing it for the "Greater Good", but it is not Good and not Neutral. It is Evil.

Radar
2011-02-10, 02:43 PM
So this guy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbgyppGqBgg) is a relevant source of inspiration.