PDA

View Full Version : Soloing Expedition to Undermountain help

GodGoblin
2011-02-10, 08:35 AM
Hey guys and girls, a friend of mine will hopefully be running me through the Expedition to Undermountain campaign book over PbP on these forums, I havent had any experience with the module before so im looking for some advice on what character to play.

I will be going through solo so Gestalt is a possibility, any idea on what level would be good to start as? Or any fun classes? Hell anything will be usefull :smallbiggrin:

I thinking about maybe a warlock, factotum or something else thats quite resourcful but the idea of a Wizard wandering through is pretty funny...

And as always thanks in advance!

Toliudar
2011-02-10, 11:12 AM
Without knowing the specific adventure, I'd suggest that it's the action economy and your ability to deal with status effects that will make or break this for you. Druid - a solid set of saves & HP, diverse spell list, ability to summon aid and use the AC for muscle and scouting as needed - gestalted with something that provides passive benefits, would be the way I'd go. Take Summon Elemental as soon as possible for trapfinding/scouting goodness.

GodGoblin
2011-02-10, 11:20 AM
I wasnt aware there is a specific adventure I thought it was a book of a single campaign, or have mis understood it?

dsmiles
2011-02-10, 11:44 AM
Soloing...UNDERMOUNTAIN?!?!?!? :smalleek:

I'd recommend druid/rogue gestalt.

GodGoblin
2011-02-10, 11:50 AM
So the general idea is Druid then? Would the Shapeshift variant work as well? Also what level would be best to start?

And Im planning on starting from the start and going all the way through if possible

dsmiles
2011-02-10, 11:54 AM
Think about it. A bear riding a bear, summoning bears, flanking with bears, for a beary big sneak attack! :smalltongue:

Toliudar
2011-02-10, 11:58 AM
Druid plus rogue, factotum or something that will give tons of skills and increase your range of options would indeed be my recommendation.

I wouldn't recommend the shapeshift variant in this case. If you're solo-ing, then one of the primary constraints of wildshape (the inability to speak) is much less of an issue. Plus you lose the animal companion, access to natural spell and the sheer variety of forms.

As with all solo campaigns, though, the DM is going to have to adjust a lot of the encounters on the fly, because with only one PC some things become significantly deadlier. Save or lose effects become a lot more difficult to deal with, the action economy is not your friend (so encounters with several lesser creatures can become more of an issue).

valadil
2011-02-10, 12:01 PM
Druid plus rogue, factotum or something that will give tons of skills and increase your range of options would indeed be my recommendation.

How about druid//bard? Still get a ton of skills and gain even more buffage for the animal companion/summons.

GodGoblin
2011-02-10, 05:38 PM
After a chat with my DM its no longer Gestalt and starting at level 4, and as good as druid is for this im just not really feeling it. I played one a little while ago and would like branch out.

The rogue or factotum bit will be a definate, and im thinking Warlock for the spider climb ect.

Maybe something like-

1 Halfling rogue variant (For the 2d6 ranged sneak attack and trap finding)
2 warlock (Spider climb)
3 warlock
4 warlcock

Any suggestions around that sort of idea? Would factotum work better? And sorry to have turned down good ideas but just wasnt the direction i feel like going :smallsmile: