PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Hive Mind or equivalents

Mooseh
2011-02-10, 08:57 AM
Hi,

First post so please be gentle :). I've done a forum search to no avail so am hoping you guys can help.

I'm looking at creating a "culture" for an upcoming 3.5e game and am debating something that's "Hive Mind"-esque, I'm not (necessarily) talking about the named feat, but more a race or race with feats/benefits added that allow a similar sort of feel - masses of creatures/people sharing a communal conciousness, telepathically linked etc.

I've already looked at Formians and they're a possibility, though I might not be able to get a Queen which renders them pretty useless. I'm aware of the Vermin Lord but thats a single (high level) character rather than a culture of people capable of doing that.

Any thoughts/suggestions gratefully appreciated.

poignant123
2011-02-10, 09:07 AM
Silithars from Lords of Madness are essentially a creature made of smaller creatures and are the combined consciousness of an advanced race.

Pretty neat, though the image given looks very bizarre.

CycloneJoker
2011-02-10, 09:07 AM
You might want to look at Silthilar(LoM 168). Not exactly what you're looking for, but other than just a huge Hivemind of rats or similar, from BoVD PG. 34, that's all I got.

EDIT:Swordsage'd

linebackeru
2011-02-10, 10:13 AM
What about Illithids (Mind Flayers)? They'd seemingly fit the requirement.

Edit: The Monster Manual doesn't really say anything about them functioning as a hive mind, but I seem to recall them all having telepathic contact with their Elder Brain, and often receiving orders that way.

Magic Myrmidon
2011-02-10, 03:29 PM
It's not quite the same, but Dvati from the dragon compendium are two bodies that share the same soul. If you really wanted to, you could make the sould be part of more bodies, theoretically

Devmaar
2011-02-10, 05:45 PM
LoM also has Beholder cities, where one type of Beholder (Brood-Mother?) maintains control of a number of regular Beholders. That's kind of like a Hive-Mind.