PDA

View Full Version : Trailblazer

true_shinken
2011-02-10, 10:52 AM
I got Trailblazer from a friend and I just started flipping through the book. I'm not impressed yet, but I like how they discuss their design decisions.
Anyone has any thoughts on this? Is it really backwards compatible? Should I cherry pick from it? As it stands, my game is already a patchwork of official WotC's 3.5 and Pathfinder anyway...

Starbuck_II
2011-02-10, 12:29 PM
I got Trailblazer from a friend and I just started flipping through the book. I'm not impressed yet, but I like how they discuss their design decisions.
Anyone has any thoughts on this? Is it really backwards compatible? Should I cherry pick from it? As it stands, my game is already a patchwork of official WotC's 3.5 and Pathfinder anyway...

Mostly, you can easily add the attack bonus when Flurrying/sneak attacking.

I'm not big on the spellcasting division idea (certain spells restricted/ritual) but the fact that every level has a benefit to magic when multiclassing spellcasters is better represented without needing to Prc (pg 26-27).

Better hitting iterative attack (pg 16) idea is cool.
Action Enhancements are easy to port over.

Barbarian got faster DR (4th) and bonus feats for more cutomizing it.

Bards are bette casters...sort of.

Druid well they tried to do a Pathfinder Wildshape thing. I'm not sure if better.

Fighters: they tried to make them better weaponmasters (similar to Pathfinder): instead of damage/hit bonus in pathfinder you can increase Threat range, crit multiplier, base damage, or add qualities.
Also using 4e's idea, they make Fighters better on attack of opportunities: more hit/damage.

Monk: gets a bonus (centered) when attacking. Almost full bab. Unlike pathfinnder Flurry unchanged, but when not flurrying they still have good hit amount. Loses all good saves, but gets a clas feature restoring it (they wanted every class table to have 2 good saves).
And now monk can take trapfinding job expanding their role.

Paladin better spellcaster (Cleric spell list + old stuff)

Rogues sneak attack anything (escept incorporeals). When target denied dex/flank, he gets a hit bonus.

Mostly it is easy to port.