Unable to speak
Deep hatred of boxes, pots, and shrubs

Weimann
2011-02-10, 10:57 AM
Chicken phobia.

Kurald Galain
2011-02-10, 10:58 AM
Compulsion to pick up gemstones.

Tendency to hit everything with his sword.

A deep-seated hatred of fairies. HEY! LISTEN!!

Triskavanski
Hey listen!

EDIT: darn ninjas..

supermonkeyjoe
paralysing fear of undead?

FMArthur
2011-02-10, 11:03 AM
He feels the need to tumble at all times.

Halae
2011-02-10, 11:07 AM
So, what do we have here?

Obsession [Money]
Addiction [Tumbling]
Addiction [Stabbing Things]
Phobia [Undead]
Mute

my my, he has quite a few flaws, eh?

Sinfonian
2011-02-10, 11:09 AM
Unable to speak
It's really for the best.
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPxY8lpYAUM)

Keld Denar
2011-02-10, 11:12 AM
Chicken Infested

What? Its a real flaw!

Isn't there a flaw for powerful nemesis or something like that?

flabort
2011-02-10, 11:12 AM
So what in Hyrule are the feats he's getting from these?! :smallbiggrin:

Also:
Obsession: Music
Phobia: Gannon
Uncommon-sense: Bombs (He holds onto lit bombs for far too long at a time :smalltongue:)

mootoall
2011-02-10, 11:14 AM
He's got a rival, who also happens to be immortal ... that has to be worth a few disadvantage points.

FMArthur
2011-02-10, 11:17 AM
So what in Hyrule are the feats he's getting from these?! :smallbiggrin:

Also:
Obsession: Music
Phobia: Gannon
Uncommon-sense: Bombs (He holds onto lit bombs for far too long at a time :smalltongue:)

Link isn't incredibly afraid of Ganon in any of the games I've played. The mechanical effect of such a phobia might prevent a number of the games' stories from taking place. Also I don't know any player who routinely holds onto bombs for too long. That's a really dumb thing which players learn not to do, as opposed to a really dumb thing that players learn they should do, like breaking pots, cutting grass and tumbling excessively. :smallconfused:

Darth Stabber
2011-02-10, 11:19 AM
So what in Hyrule are the feats he's getting from these?!

Whirlwind attack
Skill Focus: UMD
Weapon focus: longsword
Mounted Combat
Grenadier

Murdim
2011-02-10, 11:25 AM
Link isn't incredibly afraid of Ganon in any of the games I've played.
Not Ganon. Gannon (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GannonBanned).

flabort
2011-02-10, 11:32 AM
Whirlwind attack
Skill Focus: UMD
Mounted Combat
Grenadier

And, thank you, I've found some more feats he must have:
Point Blank shot
Spring attack
Self-sufficient

...And prerequisites.
Of course, not all of these have to be flaws. He gets a bonus feat for being human Hyrulian, and lets not forget class levels. I'm pretty sure he has Wild-shape Ranger and MoMF... (Majora's mask+Twilight Princess)
Anywho, any more flaws we can tag on him?

FMArthur
2011-02-10, 11:33 AM
A lot of the things Link does in combat can be replicated with ToB maneuvers, so he could have Warblade levels to perform his his moves instead of like a dozen feats. I'm not sure if there is a Spin Attack maneuver, but it would actually fit the best because of the time he needs to spend between each one in most Zelda games which lines up with ToB classes' recovery mechanics. He's also got a couple of jumping attack things that I know Tiger Claw can do. His sidestepping is pretty easily just a 5ft step.

But I really have no idea about the magic item use. He can use them all perfectly as soon as he gets them, except for the magical instruments. I think the items themselves are made for ease-of-use, instead of a special synergy with Link himself (the Master Sword is an exception).

Darth Stabber
2011-02-10, 11:40 AM
Iron heart has a spin manuever that hits not once, but twice.

Kurald Galain
2011-02-10, 11:52 AM

Weapon focus: boomerang
Weapon focus: bomb
Weapon focus: hookshot
Weapon focus: longbow
Weapon focus: wand

FMArthur
2011-02-10, 11:53 AM
Iron heart has a spin manuever that hits not once, but twice.

It's absolutely perfect, considering that the attack does double damage in every Zelda game I've ever played (it's seriously become an unbalanced part of his arsenal now that the swordfighting has gotten more intricate). It's 8th level, but I guess it really shouldn't be surprising, since it has also been a staple that Link always just happens to be the world's greatest swordsman despite living a simple village life up until adventure time.

Is there a way he can knock foes back with it?

edit: Guys, he's supposed to be a talented warrior. People with Weapon Focus feats represent the opposite. Enough with the Weapon Focus. :smallsigh:

Tiki Snakes
2011-02-10, 11:53 AM
Just cause he uses them now and again doesn't mean he needs weapon focus with them, though. :smallsmile:

Claudius Maximus
2011-02-10, 12:00 PM
Compulsive Hoarder.

Seriously, how much obscure crap does he end up with by the end of these games?

Another_Poet
2011-02-10, 12:03 PM
Don't forget complete inability to make Climb checks.

mootoall
2011-02-10, 12:08 PM
He's got Improvised Weapon Proficiency in rocks and Deku sticks.

Telonius
2011-02-10, 12:17 PM
If we're going by the original Zelda: Aquaphobic. Dude can't swim, and needs a ladder or raft to get across any body of water.

Inability to break down locked doors.

Pyromaniac. To find all the hidden passages, he basically has to burn down all of Hyrule with the Candle.

Obsessive with the cardinal directions. He can't/won't attack anything diagonally.

FMArthur
2011-02-10, 12:21 PM
If we're going by the original Zelda: Aquaphobic. Dude can't swim, and needs a ladder or raft to get across any body of water.

He just failed at swimming then. In most Zelda games he at least acquired the ability to swim via magic item if he didn't start with it. If this was the result of a phobia, the acquisition of these items wouldn't matter, and his ability to swim without items in recent games contradicts it entirely anyways.

Triskavanski
2011-02-10, 12:26 PM
Key breaker. Cannot open a lock without breaking the key, even though the enemies are completely inept and always buy discount bundle keys and locks. (cept for master locks.)

Also.. Ganananon!

Hazzardevil
2011-02-10, 12:28 PM
how is he unable to make climb checks?

I do reckon he has the nameless flaw, no-one seems to know who he is despite the fact he wears teh legendery green tunic, stranger still everyone who does recignise it presumes its just a cheap ripoff and never suspects he is an actual hero.

Kurald Galain
2011-02-10, 12:32 PM
On second thought - in the first game he uses his bow to fire rupees. Clearly the guy has no idea how a bow actually works :smalltongue:

Telonius
2011-02-10, 12:38 PM
On second thought - in the first game he uses his bow to fire rupees. Clearly the guy has no idea how a bow actually works :smalltongue:

I always thought he affixed them to the bowshaft. Those rupees must have been sharp. (Probably had something to do with how easily Gannon was able to overwhelm Hyrule - if half your warriors cut their hands when trying to buy a burger you're not going to have an effective fighting force).

FMArthur
2011-02-10, 12:48 PM
When he fires rupees on shafts, you have to assume he's an incredibly inept archer. Then when he starts firing bombs attached to arrows, you realize that he's just so skilled an archer you couldn't even comprehend how good he is.

grimbold
2011-02-10, 02:58 PM
Chicken phobia.

oh my god
this made my day
also he has to wear nerdy clothes
he feels like he has to run a lot
he trades in a currnecy system unlike that of D&D

Another_Poet
2011-02-10, 03:10 PM
how is he unable to make climb checks?

The fact that without a staircase, ramp or ladder, he can never get up to somewhere higher? (Until he gets an item.)

In the more recent games there are also walls of vines he can climb... so if the DC is 5 or less I guess he can do it.

Hazzardevil
2011-02-12, 03:59 PM
Oh fair enough, I reckon that link has more than a few levels in this class:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51744

mint
2011-02-12, 04:14 PM
Link has no phobias. His tri force piece is the tri force of courage ffs.
The zombies are magic. He is totally not afraid of them.

Suichimo
2011-02-12, 04:45 PM
This is a trait rather than a flaw but:

Thief

Benefit: Get any one item free
Disadvantage: The next shopkeeper you see instantly kills you with lightning and all instances of your name, both spoken and written, are changed to Thief.

ericgrau
2011-02-12, 05:13 PM
When he fires rupees on shafts, you have to assume he's an incredibly inept archer. Then when he starts firing bombs attached to arrows, you realize that he's just so skilled an archer you couldn't even comprehend how good he is.

Actually his DM doesn't make him track arrows just like he doesn't make the casters track expensive material components. Just mark down the gold rupee cost and we'll assume you bought them while in town :smallbiggrin:.

Kaulesh
2011-02-12, 06:39 PM
HarnMaster (I think) includes "left-handed" as a flaw. The flaw also increases dexterity a bit. As no one specified D&D, I suppose this one would work.

Gurps:
Cannot Learn - Link never learns new tricks over the course of one game unless he acquires a magic item. New sword techniques are usually gained by way of a scroll, so they do not bypass this rule.

Compulsive Gambling - Some games allow Link to gamble rupees on this or that. How often have you quit before being forced to stop due to running out of cash?

Compulsive Spending - If a shop has an item, you are pretty much guaranteed to buy it at least once.

Delusion (I'm a forest fairy!) - Self-explanatory.

Dependent - Zelda.

Destiny - Assemble Triforce, kill Ganon.

I think I'll stop there.

Waker
2011-02-12, 06:53 PM
I'm a little surprised that no one has mentioned his shield yet. I mean, I know shields are bleh in D&D, but Link is a sword/shield warrior.

Mando Knight
2011-02-12, 07:00 PM
edit: Guys, he's supposed to be a talented warrior. People with Weapon Focus feats represent the opposite. Enough with the Weapon Focus. :smallsigh:
Well, what would you do if you had like three dozen feats and no metamagic to burn them on?

THIEF

Disadvantage: The next shopkeeper you see instantly kills you with lightning and all instances of your name, both spoken and written, are changed to THIEF.
Fixed for accuracy...

FMArthur
2011-02-12, 07:26 PM
Taking Martial Study and picking a maneuver at random is better than Weapon Focus.

Aemoh87
2011-02-13, 04:56 AM
the biggest flaw link would have is Navi.

Every time you perform an action roll a d% and if you get under 10% your DM reads you a random chapter of the players handbook.

Marillion
2011-02-13, 03:55 PM

But sometimes everything would be so much simpler if he could. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4elLuTGg3Yw)

Lateral
2011-02-13, 04:09 PM
Don't forget complete inability to make Climb checks.

Not Climb checks, he can climb ladders just fine; no ranks in Climb, probably.

Now, inability to make jump checks...

Aemoh87
2011-02-13, 04:15 PM
Maybe he has to make a know direction check first before he jumps so he is perfectly aimed.

Dreadn4ught
2011-02-13, 04:16 PM
How about natural telepathy?

Townsfolk: "What's wrong, Link?"

Link: "..."

Townsfolk: "What?! Gannon escaped on a horse and Sheik died?!"

If Link could talk, at this point he would say "Yeah, that's what I just said."

Hazzardevil
2011-02-13, 04:22 PM

Thief

Disadvantage: The next shopkeeper you see instantly transforms into a bird and pecks you infinetly untill it's beak hurts on your shield or you leave.

There I fixed it for you.

Also let's hope that in future zelda games there isn't a test like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoQ7FHErvYg&feature=fvw

Eldan
2011-02-13, 06:12 PM
He is randomly attacked by Exposition Owls.

Psyren
2011-02-13, 06:24 PM

I boiled my ears 6 times, and I can't unhear it!!

grarrrg
2011-02-13, 06:31 PM

The correct spelling is Ganon
[1] N in the middle.
It was misspelled in the original translation and has persisted ever since.

Gannon is WRONG.

Link (the internet kind) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3rhQc666Sg)

Lateral
2011-02-13, 08:41 PM
...Dude. Did you not read the question he was answering? It was a JOKE. One guy said that Link was 'afraid of Gannon', and another guy responded by saying that he had never seen link be afraid of Ganon, so this guy made a joke that Link wasn't afraid of Ganon, he was afraid of Gannon. As in 'Gannon-Banned'.

Try reading the whole post next time. :smallannoyed:

grarrrg
2011-02-14, 11:54 AM
TIME MACHINE QUOTE

This thread is enjoyable, please don't argue semantics.

{voluntarily scrubbed}

Sipex
2011-02-14, 12:04 PM

Flaws? How about something like:

Musically Inept - At most, Link is only able to play 5 seperate notes on any given instrument, regardless of proficiency.

Tiki Snakes
2011-02-14, 12:13 PM

Flaws? How about something like:

Musically Inept - At most, Link is only able to play 5 seperate notes on any given instrument, regardless of proficiency.

Fast learner more like. After hearing a tune once or twice, and having a quick fiddle with the basic notes, he can then play the whole piece.

Likewise with obscure, legendary or lost swordfighting manouvers. Couple of quick goes and he can perform the move perfectly.

grarrrg
2011-02-14, 04:30 PM
Link is TOTALLY A Kender

DandDWiki (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Kender_~3.5_version~_(3.5e_Race))
Kender are completely and entirely innocent, and remain so throughout their lives. Due to this they are fearless and do not feel sexual lust. Allthough a Kender is immune to all types of fear...

Kender are afflicted with Wanderlust in their teens...They become overly curious, and find that they seek adventure more and more throughout their adolescence...As a note, Wanderlust does not make Kender unintelligent, it just helps to remove inhibitions about completing dangerous, or otherwise unhealthy tasks, if it means that the Kender can explore, unearth, or find something new and different.

More often than not, if a Kender has a fond appreciation for something you own that is not strapped down, tied up, or locked away, they will “find it”. It is not uncommon at all for a Kender to have many pockets filled with the nick-nacks, and shiny baubles...The Kender have enormous natural curiosity

Innocent, fearless, Curious, Kleptomania, Pointed Ears.
IT ALL FITS!

Hold me, I'm scared...

Eldan
2011-02-14, 04:31 PM
No sexual lust? How do they reproduce?

Sipex
2011-02-14, 04:36 PM
No sexual lust? How do they reproduce?

This is all I could think of when I read it too.

MAGIC!

flabort
2011-02-14, 04:43 PM
They don't feel it until they finally settle down. It takes a LOT to convince a kender to settle down, considering their inability to feel fear, and their wanderlust, but if something manages to shake them up enough (such as the end of the world), they'll settle down, and after a few years start to have more... normal humanoid feelings.

Eldan
2011-02-14, 05:00 PM
So every 20 years or so, a large part of the adult Kender population sees the world end?

I can see that. It's D&D, after all :smallbiggrin:

Forum Explorer
2011-02-14, 05:04 PM
They don't feel it until they finally settle down. It takes a LOT to convince a kender to settle down, considering their inability to feel fear, and their wanderlust, but if something manages to shake them up enough (such as the end of the world), they'll settle down, and after a few years start to have more... normal humanoid feelings.

This mostly. Though I think the quote was incorrect on that. Its more kender keep moving too often to have a relationship, and why can't something feel lust and not be innocent?

And Link as a kender explans so much. Excepecially the time travel. and the fact that he hasn't killed Navi and apparently enjoys her company. Plus his various incarnations all known as 'Link'. And why nobody seems to be happy to seem him initially. Or why he has no parents. IT ALL FITS!

flabort
2011-02-14, 05:07 PM
So every 20 years or so, a large part of the adult Kender population sees the world end?

I'm not saying they have to be involved, or the world has to end. How many games have you played where the protagonists prevent an apocalypse?

And it doesn't even have to be the end of the world. Just something equally traumatizing. Like my brother.

Innis Cabal
2011-02-14, 05:12 PM

You are aware that that's his anglicized name? It is in fact Ganon. In fact, from the link you posted which you didn't read

The page name/image refers to the Big Bad Ganondorf, aka Ganon (explicitly said so in the third game's manual), who got an additional "N" in the first game but no other official sources. However, the non-canon CD-i games all used this spelling anyway.

Dire Moose
2011-02-14, 05:22 PM
I'm pretty sure he has Wild-shape Ranger and MoMF... (Majora's mask+Twilight Princess)
I don't think he has anything like that. In both games, the shapeshifting abilities were not derived from class levels; rather, they were the result of using magical items.

In Majora's Mask, he didn't have any special abilities that allowed him to transform; he used masks that he aquired by healing tormented souls.

As for the wolf form he had in Twilight Princess, that transformation had to be triggered by the black stone containing Zant's curse.

FMArthur
2011-02-14, 05:24 PM

Well every 35 years or so, all the Kender suddenly become aware that their species is on its way to dying out due to lack of babies. That certainly carries some apocalyptic tones for a race.

Lateral
2011-02-14, 06:49 PM
You are aware that that's his anglicized name? It is in fact Ganon. In fact, from the link you posted which you didn't read

OH COME ON, is EVERYONE incapable of understanding that joke?! Seriously, I JUST WENT OVER IT. :smallmad:

grarrrg
2011-02-14, 07:04 PM
OH COME ON, is EVERYONE incapable of understanding that joke?! Seriously, I JUST WENT OVER IT. :smallmad:

Can't we agree to just drop this and focus on "Link in D&D"?

By the way, I like how your avatar matches the tone of your posts in this thread.

And (slightly) back on topic, regarding the "Kender making babies" thing.
Booze. Lots and LOTS of booze...

Lateral
2011-02-14, 08:00 PM
You're right; I'm sorry.

So, yeah, I did stat up Link once. Turns out, Warblade with Exotic Weapons Master works pretty well if you think of the Clawshot and Bombs and stuff as exotic weapons.

Forum Explorer
2011-02-14, 11:12 PM
You're right; I'm sorry.

So, yeah, I did stat up Link once. Turns out, Warblade with Exotic Weapons Master works pretty well if you think of the Clawshot and Bombs and stuff as exotic weapons.

What stats did you give the claw shot?

Temotei
2011-02-14, 11:20 PM
Remember that "Link" is many people over many ages. Here (http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline)'s a timeline.

Atcote
2011-02-15, 12:14 AM
Remember that "Link" is many people over many ages. Here (http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline)'s a timeline.

Oh, God, no! Keep away from the timeline concerns! Each game takes place in such a time as a fun game occurred!

But, regardless, Link's flaws?

Obsession: Green Clothing. I mean, sure, sometimes it's not his original outfit, but in order for him to do what he needs to, he needs to be in the floppy hat and green tunic. He has no choice, no other compulsion.

I suppose a second play-through of Wind Waker is forgiven, however.

dgnslyr
2011-02-15, 12:28 AM
Well, a speech impediment and a hatred for pottery and shrubbery would be the obvious ones. An inability to use keys properly should be up there, too, as well as difficulties in jumping on his own compulsion.

Tiki Snakes
2011-02-15, 02:41 AM
Oh, God, no! Keep away from the timeline concerns! Each game takes place in such a time as a fun game occurred!

But, regardless, Link's flaws?

Obsession: Green Clothing. I mean, sure, sometimes it's not his original outfit, but in order for him to do what he needs to, he needs to be in the floppy hat and green tunic. He has no choice, no other compulsion.

I suppose a second play-through of Wind Waker is forgiven, however.

Except for the bit where he invariably aquires a red and a blue costume also. Oh, and is often made to wear the green by someone else.

Sith_Happens
2011-02-15, 03:10 AM
I don't think he has anything like that. In both games, the shapeshifting abilities were not derived from class levels; rather, they were the result of using magical items.

In Majora's Mask, he didn't have any special abilities that allowed him to transform; he used masks that he aquired by healing tormented souls.

As for the wolf form he had in Twilight Princess, that transformation had to be triggered by the black stone containing Zant's curse.

All of the above is correct. As for the class that he is:
1. Read the fluff for the Eternal Blade.
2. TRY to tell me that it's not Link.
WotC rearranged a few things (like Navi being the one who's reincarnated), but all of the elements are definitely there. Seriously, if the description of the Blade Guide's form as a small ball of light doesn't give it away, I don't know what does.

As for feats, the only one that really matters is the homebrew feat that allows him to spam the Acrobatic Backstab skill trick (which, by the way, makes the final swordfight against Ganondorf in Twilight Princess a total joke).

Necro_EX
2011-02-15, 04:31 AM
I'd have to disagree with any phobias, simply on virtue of him being infused with the Triforce of courage.

Also, I'm not sure how many of you are serious about the whole 'mute' thing, but just like Chrono he's not actually mute; the dialogue is left to the player's imagination. It was something done in a handful of older rpgs that hasn't really come up recently, except for in LoZ, which has kept it I'd imagine more on tradition than anything else. How do you think no NPC has ever made mention of it? Also, how would dialogue move on at a natural pace with him incapable of providing verbal input?

Alsoalso, I'd be rather interested in the stats for that clawshot, myself. :D

Eldan
2011-02-15, 04:42 AM
Of course we aren't really serious, most of what's been mentioned so far has been a joke. But it's funnier to assume he's a mute and everyone's going along with it because he's a hero. I also rather doubt he has a compulsion to break pottery and rip out all weeds he sees.

Necro_EX
2011-02-15, 04:48 AM
Well, I've known people IRL who have actually thought that Chrono was mute, so I wasn't entirely certain.

I do see what you mean about it all being in good fun, though.

Roderick_BR
2011-02-15, 10:01 AM
That, the whirlwind attack maneuvers, and being actually skillful with a shield, would make him a warblade rather than a fighter, since warblades has no proficiencys with ranged weapons.

Lateral
2011-02-15, 05:31 PM
What stats did you give the claw shot?

Don't remember, exactly. I think it was used like a ranged weapon that did no damage but initiated a grapple attempt on the target and pulled them towards you at some rate. Also, it worked like a grappling hook but with some sort of bonus on the check, I think. Your attack bonus with it, probably.