PDA

View Full Version : A (Probably) Stupid Question

CycloneJoker
2011-02-10, 12:00 PM
Okay, I was linked to The Word and The Wish (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/The_Wish_and_the_Word_(3.5e_Optimized_Character_Bu ild)) by a friend, and I was wondering, how does The Word work? Don't you need to be good to cast Holy Word, and how does he get up to 122 CL?

Cog
2011-02-10, 01:21 PM
Look down in the "Spells of Note" section; there's Sublime Chord and Ritual of Alignment shenanigans. I haven't worked that build through to see it it works - The Wish is easier to follow, but that one doesn't work (Warlocks qualify for specific spell effects such as Charm, but not vague 'Abjuration effects'). Given that, I wouldn't trust the more convoluted one without a much closer look.

Kylarra
2011-02-10, 01:39 PM
The wish is just a lol wish abuse build anyway, everything else on top of that is just survival gravy.

SurlySeraph
2011-02-10, 04:37 PM
The Word has 8 separate arcane spellcasting progressions, so something that increases CL increases CL for each of them separately.
Sublime Chord resets all of your arcane caster levels to the sum of all of your arcane caster levels. He says this means that something that gives +1 to your caster level now gives him +8 to arcane caster level, because it gives +1 to 8 separate casting progressions that are then combined into one.
Ur-Priest has an ability that gives it a caster level equal to 1/2 the sum of all its existing caster levels, which he uses to transfer that arcane CL to Ur-Priest
He then buys 18 Orange Ioun Stones and says they stack with each other, each +1 they give giving him +8 Sublime Chord CL, which by that Ur-Priest ability gives him +4 Ur-Priest CL. The rest of it is plausible if highly dubious. This part is bull. You can't stack bonuses from the same source like that.

I'm pretty sure he's using "Holy Word" as shorthand for "The alignment spells that work like Holy Word." I'm not sure if he has a way to cast Holy Word while being evil or not; I'm pretty sure an Archivist can do that, and Ur-Priest may be able to, but it doesn't matter much.

No brains
2011-02-10, 04:54 PM
BUT CAN THE WISH AND THE WORD KILL ANOTHER THEMSELFS, A pun-pun AND A COSMICALLY HUGE TURD OF ANIT-OSMIUM ZOMG!?!?!

KillianHawkeye
2011-02-10, 07:50 PM
BUT CAN THE WISH AND THE WORD KILL ANOTHER THEMSELFS, A pun-pun AND A COSMICALLY HUGE TURD OF ANIT-OSMIUM ZOMG!?!?!

{Scrubbed}

Urpriest
2011-02-10, 08:01 PM
I'm pretty sure he's using "Holy Word" as shorthand for "The alignment spells that work like Holy Word." I'm not sure if he has a way to cast Holy Word while being evil or not; I'm pretty sure an Archivist can do that, and Ur-Priest may be able to, but it doesn't matter much.

Ur-Priests can explicitly cast alignment-specific spells no matter their actual alignment, justified in that they steal the spells from the clerics they're supposed to go to.

SurlySeraph
2011-02-10, 09:28 PM
Oh sure, I'm going to take the Ur-Priest's word for it. There's no way he would be biased about what Ur-Priests can do; he's a trustworthy and upstanding individual, like all Ur-Priests.

grarrrg
2011-02-10, 09:43 PM
Oh sure, I'm going to take the Ur-Priest's word for it. There's no way he would be biased about what Ur-Priests can do; he's a trustworthy and upstanding individual, like all Ur-Priests.

Ur-Priests can explicitly, like, fly and have, like, triple caster level and junk, no matter their actual alignment, justified in that they can shoot, like, lazer beams from their backsides. They stole the lazer beams from the clerics they're supposed to go to.

Seems legit to me.

CycloneJoker
2011-02-10, 10:07 PM
The Word has 8 separate arcane spellcasting progressions, so something that increases CL increases CL for each of them separately.
Sublime Chord resets all of your arcane caster levels to the sum of all of your arcane caster levels. He says this means that something that gives +1 to your caster level now gives him +8 to arcane caster level, because it gives +1 to 8 separate casting progressions that are then combined into one.
Ur-Priest has an ability that gives it a caster level equal to 1/2 the sum of all its existing caster levels, which he uses to transfer that arcane CL to Ur-Priest
He then buys 18 Orange Ioun Stones and says they stack with each other, each +1 they give giving him +8 Sublime Chord CL, which by that Ur-Priest ability gives him +4 Ur-Priest CL. The rest of it is plausible if highly dubious. This part is bull. You can't stack bonuses from the same source like that.

Ur-Priests can explicitly cast alignment-specific spells no matter their actual alignment, justified in that they steal the spells from the clerics they're supposed to go to.

Oh, makes sense, now. Thanks.