PDA

View Full Version : chronicles of the necromancer

DragonsAion
2011-02-10, 12:26 PM
Been reading the first book in the series ( The Summoner) and the main character has made me interested in trying to play the same type of mage.

for those that haven't read the book the main character is a "spirit mage." To break it down in to 3.5 treams he seams to be a mix of the neromancer and spirit shaman. He can see/command/call/talk with ghosts and has thrown around his fair share of fireballs as well. He also wears armor and uses a sword.

while the spirit shaman seems to be the closest base class to the character in the book I was wondering if there were any other classes that might fit the bill and how you would build them feat and spell wise.

heres a link you can copy and paste to help get a better idea if you need it.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronicles_of_the_Necromancer

ex cathedra
2011-02-10, 12:43 PM
So (http://plothook.net/d20/srd/spells/speakWithDead.htm), he's a cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/flamestrike.htm)?

DragonsAion
2011-02-10, 01:09 PM
I brought up the spirit shaman since it deals with "spirits" and the spell list fits better. Guess I'm hoping to find someone on the board that has read any of the books.

yeah, wizards, clerics, and the spirit shaman would be the most likely. still wondering about feats.

Scarlet-Devil
2011-02-10, 01:45 PM
Well, another possibility might be the Shaman from Oriental Adventures. Check it out.

Edit: Didn't read that as well as I might've; he might require a little multiclassing to wield a sword. Also I'm not sure how much blasting Shamans do...

DragonsAion
2011-02-10, 02:50 PM
Laws of Spirit Mage:
Never may you bind a soul that wishes to be free.
Never may you reanimate a corpse.
And never may you bend a spirit to do your will.
Never, even when to do so might seem to serve the greatest good.

Role of a Spirit Mage:
You are the mediator between the living and the dead. To be Lord of the Dead and Undead is to bear the same responsibilities in the realms of shadow that a king of the living bears in the day.

Shamens have the same blasting power as a druid as they share the same spell list. I guess I can take a lot of metamagic and energy substition feats.

Scarlet-Devil
2011-02-10, 03:10 PM
Shamens have the same blasting power as a druid as they share the same spell list. I guess I can take a lot of metamagic and energy substition feats.

Er, Spirit Shamans do, yes, but Shamans(OA) have their own spell list (which is quite limited IIRC, but they get to choose two domains). If you haven't already, you might want to check it out, just for kicks.

Another idea is the Dread Necromancer, 'cause they have proficiency with one martial weapon and can wear light armor. One major problem with them though is the utter lack of fiery blasting spells.

mootoall
2011-02-10, 03:30 PM
Well it really only requires a dip in Dread Necro for rebuke and the proficiency. Then level in Spirit Shaman? Charnel Touch heals ghosts!

DragonsAion
2011-02-10, 03:38 PM
the shamens spell list is alot like a clerics. I looked over the dread necro and while it looks nice it seems to be what i would image and "evil" spirit mage to be like.

the feat Spirit Sense (heros of horror) fits in perfectly with this idea.

Edit: looked over Spell compendium and druids gained a lot in it. spirit shamen/ shamen (OA) with the spirit sense feat seems to be as close as I can get class wise.

any other interesting feats out there that might help?