PDA

View Full Version : This Book and This Arc

MoonCat
2011-02-10, 01:55 PM
In the commentary for NCftPB the Giant said Roy was on the cover for his emotional growth during that time. Haley was on the cover of the book where she regained her speech and first told Elan she loved him. I think that Elan has had huge growth in this story, but he is already on the cover for another book. I think that something big (not necessarily his death, but something) will happen to Belkar in this arc, and he will be on the cover. Thoughts?

Ender Wigin
2011-02-10, 04:06 PM
A good theory, but we haven't seen Belkar being important to the plot in any way for this book, besides being stuck in jail and a guide for a giant purple worm. How is Rich suposed to get Belkar more involved in just a few strips? (because we're probibly more than halfway through the book by now)

Dr.Epic
2011-02-10, 04:14 PM
Elan and Haley kissing (just kissing in sort of a "let's give the audience something sweet and romantic to look at as we pose", not making out) since it looks like they've both gotten a bunch of development.

MoonCat
2011-02-10, 04:37 PM
A good theory, but we haven't seen Belkar being important to the plot in any way for this book, besides being stuck in jail and a guide for a giant purple worm. How is Rich suposed to get Belkar more involved in just a few strips? (because we're probibly more than halfway through the book by now)

Good question! One of the many theories floating about is that Belkar is going to die in the arena doing something heroic, or just Belkar-like. Part of that he has been something of a side character (a little) in this arc has led some people to think he'll play a key role during the climax. Also, although the seven weeks are far from being done, Belkar's demise is certainly much more real with the time limit (in foreshadowing, the Giant said someone would die in DStP commentary).

Elan and Haley kissing (just kissing in sort of a "let's give the audience something sweet and romantic to look at as we pose", not making out) since it looks like they've both gotten a bunch of development.

That hadn't occurred to me, although it seems entirely valid now. Do you think the Giant could fit two of them on the cover? That would fit in with the whole thing where they both found their father as well.

Gift Jeraff
2011-02-10, 04:46 PM
DStP barely featured V until it started focusing on V (which was roughly 2/3 through the book), so I wouldn't worry about that.

doodthedud
2011-02-11, 01:12 PM

This with Tarquin and Ian glaring at each other from opposite sides of the couple.

MoonCat
2011-02-11, 01:18 PM
This with Tarquin and Ian glaring at each other from opposite sides of the couple.

Maybe them on the back, I doubt there is room for four people on one cover. :smalltongue:

doodthedud
2011-02-11, 01:32 PM
Maybe them on the back, I doubt there is room for four people on one cover. :smalltongue:

...why wouldn't there be? People can always draw slightly smaller..

I mean, didn't one book have the whole Order on the cover?

SPoD
2011-02-11, 01:43 PM
...why wouldn't there be? People can always draw slightly smaller..

I mean, didn't one book have the whole Order on the cover?

There's the color picture, which so far has included all six members of the Order on every cover except for Start of Darkness, and then there's the big supergraphic, which has featured only one character per cover.

So far Elan, Durkon, Roy, Haley, and Vaarsuvius have been featured. Belkar is a lock for one of the remaining 3~ books in the main story, but whether it is this book remains to be seen (and probably depends largely on whether he dies in this book, next book, or hangs on until the last book).

Dr.Epic
2011-02-11, 04:10 PM

When I read that my thoughts turned to a Romeo & Juliet expy...so I guess Elan would be very happy?

doodthedud
2011-02-11, 08:30 PM
There's the color picture, which so far has included all six members of the Order on every cover except for Start of Darkness, and then there's the big supergraphic, which has featured only one character per cover.

So far Elan, Durkon, Roy, Haley, and Vaarsuvius have been featured. Belkar is a lock for one of the remaining 3~ books in the main story, but whether it is this book remains to be seen (and probably depends largely on whether he dies in this book, next book, or hangs on until the last book).

Thanks, admittedly I've never owned an OOTS book.

Sylthia
2011-02-12, 12:59 AM
My guess would be:
Cover: Belkar
Preface: Durkon
Recap: Roy

Dr.Epic
2011-02-12, 01:12 AM
I don't get why people keep saying Belkar other than he has yet to appear on a book but all the other OotS members have. Belkar hasn't shown any signs of growth this arc. Last book he did (sort of) but V was on the cover. Maybe he'll grow, but as of yet, he hasn't shown any signs of development or character change.

Sylthia
2011-02-12, 01:19 AM
Belkar's death (or whatever transpires from that prediction) will likely happen within the course of this book, so he'll likely get some development one way or the other from that.

Dr.Epic
2011-02-12, 01:21 AM
Belkar's death (or whatever transpires from that prediction) will likely happen within the course of this book, so he'll likely get some development one way or the other from that.

Meh, it's hard to say. How long did the first book take in comic time? Weren't they only in there for a few days? Belkar could still be alive. Not to mention I don't see how his death equals character development and does Rich just put the character whose had the most of that on the cover and right now it look like Haley and Elan are tied for that.

eggynack
2011-02-12, 05:02 AM
Meh, it's hard to say. How long did the first book take in comic time? Weren't they only in there for a few days? Belkar could still be alive. Not to mention I don't see how his death equals character development and does Rich just put the character whose had the most of that on the cover and right now it look like Haley and Elan are tied for that.
Well the last book pretty much ended with Haley and Roy talking about Belkar dying soon. Also, while the way that Belkar dies could be character defining in and of itself, I find it signifigantly more likely that he will have some interesting post-death plotting. Whether this will directly involve the remaining protagonists or will merely be Belkar's wacky Hellventures remains to be seen, but either way it will be very Belkarcentric. Whatever happens, the opportunity to put Belkar on the cover is closing fast unless he does something particularly important like joining the IFCC or going undead.

ThePhantasm
2011-02-12, 05:03 AM
Durkon has appeared on a cover, and he rarely shows character growth (or it is usually subtle). I wouldn't be surprised if Belkar is on the cover. Makes sense to me.

Gift Jeraff
2011-02-12, 01:24 PM
Durkon has appeared on a cover, and he rarely shows character growth (or it is usually subtle). I wouldn't be surprised if Belkar is on the cover. Makes sense to me.
Er, did you read the book with Durkon on it? He makes a complete 180. :smallwink:

In fact, with the exception of book 1, you could say each book has that character's most pivotal moment(s). Roy becomes a true hero over the course of NCftPB, Haley gets over her aphasia and self-doubt, V learns a lot about real power, Redcloak becomes everything Redcloak is in SoD. And since Elan's development has been very gradual over the course of the entire comic, it's fitting having him on the cover of the first (though I don't think that's why he is on it, it fits in retrospect).

Dr.Epic
2011-02-12, 01:53 PM

He was on the prequel book and he did show a lot of character growth: being kicked out of his homeland, trying to connect with humans who he's never seen before, getting ignored by them all, joining a party that's more than happy to see him die (one party member a paladin), finally connecting with a human and realizing they all can't be bad. And let's not forget finding out the best human alcoholic drink taste horrible by dwarf standards - that alone is a lot of character development for a dwarf.

Porthos
2011-02-12, 04:22 PM
And since Elan's development has been very gradual over the course of the entire comic, it's fitting having him on the cover of the first (though I don't think that's why he is on it, it fits in retrospect).

I would think it would be the Elan/Nale confrontation that was the main cause for Elan appearing, myself.

If Rich had even settled on the idea of Central Character = Cover Character at that point.

As for this book/arc, if previous books are any indication (no sure thing), we are right around the half-way point of the book. Give or take, since there haven't been as many half-again/double/triple strips this time around. There is plenty of time for the focus of the story to center on Belkar, if Rich chooses to do so.

I would point out that when it comes to these sorts of things, WaXP only really focused on Haley for the first half of the book. Once she got over her aphasia, she no longer dominated the "screen time". And the V storyline didn't really dominate DStP, until the end. It could have had Belkar (with the fallout from the Mark of Justice) on the cover and made just as much sense. Especially in the first half of the book. Go back and see just how much Belkar drove the plot from strips 514 to 622 to see what I mean.

GrlumpTheElder
2011-02-13, 01:51 PM
You know, I wouldn't be suprised if the cover was a parody of the SW: New Hope film poster...

A bit cheesey maybe, but apt in the circumstances.

PsychedelicBard
2011-02-13, 02:12 PM
It should be the cover for The Empire Strikes Back.
With Belkar on R2's place.