PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 CHAOTIC monk... ?

pilvento
2011-02-10, 02:30 PM
hi again, this question is short and simple.

i heard of it once and i cant find it in my books or using the dam google.

Does the "chaotic monk" exists? maibe a variant from a book or dragon magasine?

Telonius
2011-02-10, 02:37 PM
It's in Dragon 335 p.88. It's basically the same as a regular Monk, but you get a random number of extra attacks for your flurry as well as some other items.

pilvento
2011-02-10, 02:39 PM
It's in Dragon 335 p.88. It's basically the same as a regular Monk, but you get a random number of extra attacks for your flurry as well as some other items.

now the question is, where can i find those dragon mags? or read the variant?

arguskos
2011-02-10, 02:41 PM
now the question is, where can i find those dragon mags? or read the variant?
You can buy them online, such as on Paizo's site, Amazon, or eBay. Can't say more than that, though.

Don't know that there's a way to read the variant online, sorry about that.

Scorpions__
2011-02-10, 02:48 PM
There's also the Battle Dancer from the Dragon Compendium, it has a series of well-synergized abilities and is sort-of flavoured as a chaotic martial artist. Worth checking out I think.

DM[F]R

pilvento
2011-02-10, 03:04 PM
There's also the Battle Dancer from the Dragon Compendium, it has a series of well-synergized abilities and is sort-of flavoured as a chaotic martial artist. Worth checking out I think.
DM[F]R

we dont need more dancing characters, really... we have a bard and a dervish already.

Person_Man
2011-02-10, 03:23 PM
Note that while the Chaos Monk is an improvement over the normal Monk, it still sucks. The abilities you gain are garden variety stuff that you can duplicate more efficiently various other ways.

arguskos
2011-02-10, 03:27 PM
Note that while the Chaos Monk is an improvement over the normal Monk, it still sucks. The abilities you gain are garden variety stuff that you can duplicate more efficiently various other ways.
Flailing Strike is nice for a level 1 dip, since I think it's considered to be better than Flurry. At least, that's what I recall.

Kylarra
2011-02-10, 03:37 PM
Flailing Strike is nice for a level 1 dip, since I think it's considered to be better than Flurry. At least, that's what I recall.
On average it's better with a 75% chance of at least being equivalent to flurry.

pilvento
2011-02-10, 03:40 PM

i know, just wanted to check it out.

Yorae
2011-02-10, 03:46 PM
Another chaotic monk alternative is the Unarmed Swordsage variant from ToB (Swordsage has no alignment requirement). You switch out your armor proficiency and gain unarmed strike progression as a Monk.

It's also quite a bit stronger than a vanilla monk, since monks... well... you know.

Boci
2011-02-10, 03:49 PM
On average it's better with a 75% chance of at least being equivalent to flurry.

50% actually. 1d4-1 extra attacks.

Kylarra
2011-02-10, 03:52 PM
50% actually. 1d4-1 extra attacks.Uh... you have 4 results, 0-3 extra attacks. On a number greater than 0, ie 1-3, you're at least matching flurry's extra attack. Therefore for 3/4, or 75%, of the attempts, you at least match flurry (and are better than it 50% of the time).

Boci
2011-02-10, 03:56 PM
Uh... you have 4 results 0-3 extra attacks, on a number greater than 0, ie 1-3, you're at least matching flurry's extra attack, therefore for 3/4 or 75% of the attempts, you at least match flurry (and are better than it 50% of the time).

0 becomes 1, so the possible are 1, 1, 2 and 4. Since furry grants 1 extra attack you are matching it 50% of the time and gaining 1 or 2 more attacks than furry would grant 50% of the time.

Edit: My mistake, missed the "at least" clause.

Kylarra
2011-02-10, 03:59 PM
You're wrong anyway. If you read the ability it says "minimum +0", therefore it is possible to get a result of 0 extra attacks.

arguskos
2011-02-10, 03:59 PM
0 becomes 1, so the possible are 1, 1, 2 and 4. Since furry grants 1 extra attack you are matching it 50% of the time and gaining 1 or 2 more attacks than furry would grant 50% of the time.

Edit: My mistake, missed the "at least" clause.
How are you getting 1, 1, 2, and 4 out of 1d4-1?
1-1=0
2-1=1
3-1=2
4-1=3

Am I just being thick or something? Cause your math is confusing. 0 does NOT become 1 with Flailing Strike (the ability even states "minimum 0").

Boci
2011-02-10, 04:03 PM
Oops, I was just going off of memory (since I only ever saw the class on crystalkeep) and for some reason was convinced it said minumum 1 extra attack. Evidently I was mistaken.

arguskos
2011-02-10, 04:05 PM
Was that really required? No by the way. I'm not that good at maths but I can handle simple calculations. I was just going off of memory since I only ever saw the class on crystalkeep and for some reason was convinced it said minumum 1 extra attack, but evidently I was mistaken.
I was asking if *I* was being thick and missing how your math was working. No insult intended to you, Boci. You know we're chill. :smallwink:

I always I assume I'm missing something, since I frequently am. :smallwink:

EDIT: Also, I know the pain of doing things by memory and getting it wrong on a forum. Too many people to prove you wrong. :smallsigh:

Keld Denar
2011-02-10, 04:06 PM
I think the only place where 0 == 1 is when rolling damage. Attacks always deal at least 1 point of damage (before DR). If you have a 2 Strength (-4 damage), and you attack someone with a tiny dagger (1d2 damage), your results are -3 and -2, but if you hit, they both become 1.

Boci
2011-02-10, 04:06 PM
I was asking if *I* was being thick and missing how your math was working. No insult intended to you, Boci. You know we're chill. :smallwink:

I always I assume I'm missing something, since I frequently am. :smallwink:

I realized and edited my post before you posted by after you quoted it.

Person_Man
2011-02-10, 04:31 PM

Like Flurry of Blows, it's a full round action to use. Thus it can't be combined with Pounce or maneuvers. And you're giving up a point of BAB and taking a -2 penalty to use it. And IIRC you're still under Monk restrictions (no armor).

A one level dip into Fighter for the bonus feat to gain an extra attack any of numerous ways (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7066595).

Boci
2011-02-10, 04:33 PM
Like Flurry of Blows, it's a full round action to use. Thus it can't be combined with Pounce or maneuvers. And you're giving up a point of BAB and taking a -2 penalty to use it. And IIRC you're still under Monk restrictions (no armor).

A one level dip into Fighter for the bonus feat to gain an extra attack any of numerous ways (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7066595).

Or barbarian for whirling frenzy.

manyslayer
2011-02-10, 05:14 PM

According to d20SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/monk.htm) under Flurry of Blows

A monk must use a full attack action to strike with a flurry of blows.

Has this been errattaed somewhere to a full round action (you know, to reign in the over powered monk:smalltongue:)

The Cat Goddess
2011-02-10, 05:19 PM

I could have sworn that Flailing Strike listed the total number of strikes you would get, not the number of bonus strikes.

Thus 1d4-1 meant you would attack 0-3 times in the round.

Thus, you could do a Flailing Strike attack that would... not actually give you any attacks that round.

Which could be where the "minimum 1" thought came from, even though the class description clearly says "minimum 0".

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2011-02-10, 05:25 PM
Has this been errattaed somewhere to a full round action (you know, to reign in the over powered monk:smalltongue:)

I would take "full attack action" to mean "an action equivalent to a full attack," which is, absent nitpickery, a full-round action.

Vangor
2011-02-10, 06:55 PM
I would take "full attack action" to mean "an action equivalent to a full attack," which is, absent nitpickery, a full-round action.

Full round actions and full attack actions are technically different primarily because pounce explicitly permits a full attack action whereas a full round action negates the ability to charge. While in the vast majority of other instances they're equivalent, for pounce the distinction is important.

AtomicKitKat
2011-02-10, 09:15 PM
As I recall, around level 6(?), it rises to 1d6. That does entail losing 2 BAB though.