PDA

View Full Version : Thrallherd 3.5

Noedig
2011-02-10, 02:46 PM
So my question here is this; you obviously get some thralls for free like leadership, however, do the things you charm/dominate become thralls as well? Or are they just charmed/dominated?

Starbuck_II
2011-02-10, 03:13 PM
So my question here is this; you obviously get some thralls for free like leadership, however, do the things you charm/dominate become thralls as well? Or are they just charmed/dominated?

No intersection. Charmed are still charmed. Dominated are still dominated.

Noedig
2011-02-10, 04:39 PM
OK here's another. How do you keep your ever growing herd of thralls from becoming a problem? You can't always have hundreds of people following you around. What do you do with them?

Kobold Esq
2011-02-10, 04:48 PM
OK here's another. How do you keep your ever growing herd of thralls from becoming a problem? You can't always have hundreds of people following you around. What do you do with them?

Have them tend to your keep. The whole reason to have followers or believers in addition to your cohort/thrall is to have some servants you can trust.

mootoall
2011-02-10, 04:49 PM

Enthrall some artificers. Have them craft for you, day and night. Occasionally let them lick your boots.

Greenish
2011-02-10, 04:53 PM
OK here's another. How do you keep your ever growing herd of thralls from becoming a problem?Given that most thralls you can have is two, it's not a huge problem, even if your DM won't let you buy a family ticket.

Believers, on the other hand… Well, unless you need them, you can just set them to burninate the countryside. Or have them stage protests for "democracy" in a smallish town.

Trekkin
2011-02-10, 05:20 PM
Believers are good as body doubles Make a habit of wearing a full-body cloak and face mask, and get your believers identical versions of the same. Be legion.

Actually, I use believers as a free work force. If I want a fortress to house us all in a few days, for example, having hundreds of people working on chopping down trees and setting up a palisade is a good way of doing it without being flashy.

Lastly, you can also have a necromancer turn them into zombies for double the fun.

Halae
2011-02-10, 05:26 PM
Lastly, you can also have a necromancer turn them into zombies for double the fun.

and because whenever your believers and thralls die you get new ones within 24 hours, you essentially have an unlimited way to not only keep your necromancer supplied with bodies, but then you both have an army (Small and wimpy though it may be)

Very nice :smallamused:. I'll have to convince one of my fellow players to make a thrallherd

Greenish
2011-02-10, 05:28 PM
and because whenever your believers and thralls die you get new ones within 24 hours, you essentially have an unlimited way to not only keep your necromancer supplied with bodies, but then you both have an army (Small and wimpy though it may be)

Very nice :smallamused:. I'll have to convince one of my fellow players to make a thrallherdNecromancer & thrallherd?

Your combats will last years.

Morph Bark
2011-02-10, 05:32 PM
Believers are good as body doubles Make a habit of wearing a full-body cloak and face mask, and get your believers identical versions of the same. Be legion.

Oh yes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdY27dyOD0c).

Kobold-Bard
2011-02-10, 05:33 PM
I consider Believers to act as Fanatical on the Diplomacy scale, so have them either maintain your stronghold or just wander around telling everyone they come across how wonderful you are. If some get killed you just get new ones anyway. Or just walk with them in close proximity & use them as armour

Very tough to come up with ideas for a Good aligned Thrallherd.

Trekkin
2011-02-10, 05:54 PM

How about an exceptionally cynical politician who is Good but unpopularly principled, and uses his/her horde to apply focused, overwhelming peer pressure to herd sheeple into voting her/him into office?

Halae
2011-02-10, 06:02 PM
A friend of mine once layed a thrallherd who didn't even want pychic powers, but because of all the trouble we got into they were his best bet. he angsted over the mindless (in that campaign, anyways) thralls and believers, but decided to make good use of them in the end

Morph Bark
2011-02-10, 06:15 PM
I consider Believers to act as Fanatical on the Diplomacy scale, so have them either maintain your stronghold or just wander around telling everyone they come across how wonderful you are. If some get killed you just get new ones anyway. Or just walk with them in close proximity & use them as armour

Doesn't the Fanatical state prettymuch come with a constant rage-like effect for as long as it persists, though? If they would be Fanatical all the time... free Str/Con for everyone! :smalleek:

Kobold-Bard
2011-02-10, 06:17 PM
Doesn't the Fanatical state prettymuch come with a constant rage-like effect for as long as it persists, though? If they would be Fanatical all the time... free Str/Con for everyone! :smalleek:

Not that I know of, just means they'll obey anything you say without question/jump in front of a charging Dragon etc.

Scratch that, you're completely right. Ok: I play them as fanatical minus the bonuses, just the complete obedience etc.

Noedig
2011-02-11, 12:02 AM
I have no intention of being good. At most neutral. So far the ideas that have been suggested are excellent. Having a free fortress would be awesome, and it would really be free because you see Mr. King, you're mind belongs to me, and you supply me with the money.

Halae
2011-02-11, 02:43 AM
I have no intention of being good. At most neutral. So far the ideas that have been suggested are excellent. Having a free fortress would be awesome, and it would really be free because you see Mr. King, you're mind belongs to me, and you supply me with the money.

in many cases the DM would put the Kaibosh on the quickly I'm afraid. Thralls and Believers only come from those who would follow another person anyways (as it's a psychic resonance rather than outright mind control) and monarchs will generally have some form of protection against this sort of deal, to protect the sanctity of their kingdom

tordirycgoyust
2011-02-11, 03:02 AM
Necromancer & thrallherd?

Your combats will last years.

Now imagine the followers as Druids with animal companions and summoned nature's allies.:smallcool:

Halae
2011-02-11, 03:13 AM
Now imagine the followers as Druids with animal companions and summoned nature's allies.:smallcool:

and don't forget, we need to have Malconvokers in there, with taking leadership to get more, and leadership on everybody who has a free feat and level 6.

Can you say "Total War"?

Kobold Esq
2011-02-11, 11:21 AM
When you DM, how much control do you allow the players to have over what types of Thralls and Believers they get? Leadership says it can allow you to attract a specific race/class/alignment. Thrallherd doesn't have this specific language, but our group always assumed something similar.

However I'm pretty sure that were I to DM, I wouldn't allow a player to get a horde of summoners as all of their believers.

Kobold-Bard
2011-02-11, 11:27 AM
When you DM, how much control do you allow the players to have over what types of Thralls and Believers they get? Leadership says it can allow you to attract a specific race/class/alignment. Thrallherd doesn't have this specific language, but our group always assumed something similar.

However I'm pretty sure that were I to DM, I wouldn't allow a player to get a horde of summoners as all of their believers.

Thrallherding is an unconcious act, they no control over their Believers (Thralls they get to choose a least the race & concept of (arcane caster, swordsman, Druid etc.) buy not the exact details), Believers are whoever is nearby, often with their bemused families/employers in tow.

Noedig
2011-02-11, 11:34 AM
Lol who says I'd turn the king into a Thrall/Believer? I'd just dominate/mindswitch the poor sod.

Stegyre
2011-02-11, 01:35 PM
I'm pretty sure that followers and believers are limited to NPC classes. I'm afb, but think that the Epic Handbook contains the rule on this.

Ravens_cry
2011-02-11, 02:00 PM
You could fluff it as an improved form of Leadership, rather then psionic domination and control. You are a Leader, if people are willing to risk their lives for you, it is because you inspire them that much.