PDA

View Full Version : Bonded object or familiar. (PF)

Otherworld Odd
2011-02-10, 03:18 PM
I'm making a level 7 character that looks like this: Rog 1/Wiz 4/Unseen Seer 2.

My question is, should I get a familiar or bonded object for my wizard levels? Due to campaign stuff, I do have a pet psuedodragon that I could make my familiar but I'm not sure how improved familiar works with the skill bonuses (or anything really...). But anyways, if I choose to go that route then I will have to spend a feat on improved familiar, which is definitely possible.

Also, does anyone have feat suggestions? I have practiced spellcaster, spontaneous diviner, and improved initiative so far.

LibraryOgre
2011-02-10, 04:17 PM
I went with a Bonded Object, and actually took Gain Familiar and Improved Familiar as a feats.

Your Bonded Object is astronomically more useful than a familiar. The ability to cast a single spell, per day, of all the spells you know? Incredibly useful, ups your versatility to obscene levels.

MachineWraith
2011-02-10, 05:00 PM
It depends on your DM. Is he the type that will target your spellbook and material component pouches to cripple you? If so, I'd avoid the bonded item, because life really sucks for you when you don't have it. Take a look at what happens when you cast without it; a concentration check for every spell you cast. In Pathfinder, concentration isn't a skill, it's a caster level check, so it's much harder to pump and thus much easier to fail.

So yeah, I'd take a look at my DM and decide based on my opinion of him. Though I do really like getting rid of the familiar for other features then getting one anyway through feats :smallbiggrin:

Otherworld Odd
2011-02-10, 05:09 PM
Yeah, he's definitely not the type to do that.

Edit: on a side note, would it be possible to do that Abrupt Jaunt alternate class feature with this? Could I give up my base familiar to get the Abrupt Jaunt and then grab a familiar with the feat?