PDA

View Full Version : War Scythe

Wolfgang Hype
2011-02-10, 05:18 PM
I've been looking around a bit for stats for a war scythe matching this type of weapon: War Scythe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_scythe).

If anyone could point out a weapon that would be similar and I could substitute the stats for it, or a good suggestion for a homebrew stats it'd be much appreciated.

Spiryt
2011-02-10, 05:21 PM
As far as D&D goes, there's pretty much no reason not to give it glaive stats.

Alternatively, scythe stats, dropping the tripping part, which was anyway slightly unbalanced compared to falchion, for example.

Greenish
2011-02-10, 05:21 PM
The weapon already exists. Did you think the martial weapon called scythe is a farmer's tool?

If that's not fancy enough for you, being from the core books, try Talenta Sharrash.

Ravens_cry
2011-02-10, 06:16 PM
The weapon already exists. Did you think the martial weapon called scythe is a farmer's tool?

If that's not fancy enough for you, being from the core books, try Talenta Sharrash.
Eh, fluff and art describes it as more the farming tool, despite the clumsiness there of.

Lord Bingo
2011-02-10, 06:31 PM
The Fauchard (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/weapon-descriptions/fauchard) (this is from the Pathfinder SRD) might be something for you. But really, in spite of whatever the fluff on the War Scythe might say it is still a decent weapon.

Thurbane
2011-02-10, 06:38 PM
Despite the illustration in the PHB, the Scythe is supposed to be a war scythe, not a farmers tool. Whether the stats accurately reflect this is open for debate.

As noted above, glaive or fauchard are pretty good matches, too.

J-H
2011-02-10, 06:53 PM
Looks like a naginata.

Wolfgang Hype
2011-02-10, 11:30 PM
Well, thing about the scythe in the PHB is that, as has been stated, it is shown in illustration and fluff to be closer to the farmer's tool (though "balanced a strengthened for war"). And while that's not entirely law as far as what my character has to be carrying there's a certain amount of other people's perception that comes into play with it. Most people will think of a grim reaper scythe

Of course when it comes down to it, it's just a name and some numbers, but I'd rather take a similar weapon and use those stats with the name to differentiate it, rather than just alter the name and use the same stats. It's kind of a personal flavor thing.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. Naginata is pretty close, just with the blade curved the other way.

Which now that I spent some more time looking at weapons, I haven't noticed anything with reach and an expanded threat. Lots of x3 crits, but no 19-20/x2 crits. Would such a weapon be considered overpowered?

Thurbane
2011-02-10, 11:53 PM
Which now that I spent some more time looking at weapons, I haven't noticed anything with reach and an expanded threat. Lots of x3 crits, but no 19-20/x2 crits. Would such a weapon be considered overpowered?
Yeah, that's odd - I had a look, and I believe you're right.

Mechanically, 19-20/x2 is the same as 20/x3, so a reach weapon with 19-20/x2 should be fine.

sonofzeal
2011-02-11, 12:12 AM
Mechanically, 19-20/x2 is the same as 20/x3, so a reach weapon with 19-20/x2 should be fine.
The mathematician in me has to object. A 19-20/x2 weapon is slightly superior, as any damage over what's necessary to kill a creature is wasted, so having more smaller crits "wastes" less damage than a few larger crits.

That said, D&D treats the two as equivalent, so just go with it. :smallwink: