PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Half-Giant Paladin Build

Iceheart2112
2011-02-10, 05:20 PM
Lately I've really wanted to put together a good half-giant paladin. Someone who is kind, gentle, and can wield a sword that would make Cloud envious. The stats can be anything with the modifiers no more than +11 added up. I've got him built to begin with but was looking at where to take him (or perhaps to use him in a higher lvl campaign elsewhere) so I was looking for a bit of help with a good build. Here's what I have so far.

Half-Giant Paladin 1 (ECL 2)
17, 17, 17, 13, 13, 11 - unmodified stats

Str 19 +4 (17)
Dex 11 +0 (13)
Con 19 +4 (17)
Int 11 +0 (11)
Wis 13 +1 (13)
Cha 17 +3 (17)

HP: 14

Fort: +6 (+8 vs Fire)
Refl: +0
Will: +1

Skills:
Diplomacy 1 (4)
Ride 4 (4)
Know (Religion) 1 (1)
Sense Motive 2 (3)

Feats:
EWP (Bastard Sword)

Gear:
Large Bastard Sword
Heavy Wooden Shield
Chain Shirt

Thoughts? Help?

Keld Denar
2011-02-10, 05:26 PM
Are you gonna use the sword in one hand? Or both hands? If you are gonna primarily do that later (smart idea, take advantage of that high Str), then EWP Bastard Sword is a wasted feat. Skip the feat and use a Great Sword isntead. At large size, it'll be 3d6 damage base.

Then take Power Attack as your 1st level feat. Assuming you don't PrC out, Awesome Smite (CChamp), Divine Might (CWarrior), and Battle Blessing (CChamp), and Law Devotion (CChamp) are other great feats. In fact, I'd take Law Devotion at 3rd level, Awesome Smite at 6, and Battle Blessing at 9, assuming again that you don't PrC out.

Thurbane
2011-02-10, 08:26 PM
I'd recommend Goliath over Half-giant, since they are better suited to non-psionic classes.

Joshinthemosh
2011-02-11, 03:16 AM
I'd recommend Goliath over Half-giant, since they are better suited to non-psionic classes.

Seconded. I love Half Giants but they are much more suited to the psionic classes.

Also if you are going for a sword that would make Cloud jealous I suggest losing the shield and going with Exotic Weapon Profiency Fullblade. Stacked with Powerful Build it should be doing 3d8 on each attack. That being said

Are you gonna use the sword in one hand? Or both hands? If you are gonna primarily do that later (smart idea, take advantage of that high Str), then EWP Bastard Sword is a wasted feat. Skip the feat and use a Great Sword isntead. At large size, it'll be 3d6 damage base

It's a good point. You will probably be pretty feat starved

Runestar
2011-02-11, 03:48 AM
Half-giant would let him qualify for psionic feats like that one which lets you make an attack as touch. Combos really well when power-attacking with a lance on a charge. :smallcool:

gorfnab
2011-02-11, 04:46 AM
Then take Power Attack as your 1st level feat. Assuming you don't PrC out, Awesome Smite (CChamp), Divine Might (CWarrior), and Battle Blessing (CChamp), and Law Devotion (CChamp) are other great feats. In fact, I'd take Law Devotion at 3rd level, Awesome Smite at 6, and Battle Blessing at 9, assuming again that you don't PrC out.
Charging Smite ACF (PHBII) and the feat Shock Trooper (CW) would working nicely with this setup.