PDA

View Full Version : Good Alternate Forms

Endless Query
2011-02-10, 06:20 PM
So, I'm playing a rather non-conventional character who, for one reason and another, gets to have 2 alternate forms of medium or smaller size of 12HD or less to assume at will. I was figuring on going high mobility for scouting and escaping for one, and maybe something more combat oriented for the other, but I simply don't know the contents of all the myriad of monster manuals to know what would be good. Any suggestions?

Kuzimu
2011-02-10, 06:35 PM
Small Air Elemental is great for stealth!

For a combat form, I'd suggest something like maybe a juvenile red Dragon.

Halae
2011-02-10, 06:42 PM
Alright, with Alter self, since you can only assume the forms of creatures that are your same type, I'll assume you're humanoid

remember that you should choose creatures that will give you extra versatility. Changing into a Raptoran will let you fly (or at least glide, until level 5) out of the way of many attacks, Aquatic elf will give you a swim speed and water breathing, and I'm sure there's a burrowing or climbing humanoid around somewhere. all those together and you have a lot of mobility. As far as fighting goes? Transform into a Trog (I believe that's the name). they're from serpent kingdoms and are absolute beasts on the battlefield - or would be if not for their hefty RHD and LA :smallamused:

Chilingsworth
2011-02-10, 06:44 PM
So, I'm playing a rather non-conventional character who, for one reason and another, gets to have 2 alternate forms of medium or smaller size of 12HD or less to assume at will. I was figuring on going high mobility for scouting and escaping for one, and maybe something more combat oriented for the other, but I simply don't know the contents of all the myriad of monster manuals to know what would be good. Any suggestions?

Umm... are you an Imp, by chance?

Curmudgeon
2011-02-10, 06:46 PM
For the standard Alter Self spell (forms up to 5 HD) there's an excellent list here (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871862/3.5Forms_for_Alter_Self).

For a creature with high mobility I recommend the Varag (Monster Manual IV). It's got a base speed of 60' and Run as a racial bonus feat.

Endless Query
2011-02-10, 09:11 PM
Guilty as charged, I am in fact, an Imp, the ability in question is Alternate Form, and not alter self. Annny form Medium of smaller with less than 12 HD.

Eventually I'll be picking up the ability to assume the form of any humanoid small to large of my HD or less as well, but since that's whatever I want the selection isn't as important, unlike the Imp's 2 forms which have to be chosen right off the bat.

So far, the Air Elemental Small does seem like a pretty solid idea with the 100 ft perfect move speed, any other ideas out there?

Andion Isurand
2011-02-10, 09:52 PM
Alright, with Alter self, since you can only assume the forms of creatures that are your same type, I'll assume you're humanoid

remember that you should choose creatures that will give you extra versatility. Changing into a Raptoran will let you fly (or at least glide, until level 5) out of the way of many attacks, Aquatic elf will give you a swim speed and water breathing, and I'm sure there's a burrowing or climbing humanoid around somewhere. all those together and you have a lot of mobility. As far as fighting goes? Transform into a Trog (I believe that's the name). they're from serpent kingdoms and are absolute beasts on the battlefield - or would be if not for their hefty RHD and LA :smallamused:

they're called Tren

+8 NA
1d6 bite, two 1d4 claws
30 ft, swim 40 ft
Multiattack
+4 hide (+8 rocky/subterrainian)

Necroticplague
2011-02-10, 09:55 PM
A swarm of fine flies?