PDA

View Full Version : Adventure ideas anyone?

theos911
2011-02-10, 06:38 PM
My 12 year old sister recently took an interest in D&D(3.5).:smallbiggrin: She has no/0 experience with D&D or any other tabletop games as such. She looked through the monster manual and decided to be a nymph druid. I took down a nymph to CR 1-ish for her to start with.(Adjustments for using as base race: +2 dex, cha, +1 racial mod to ref and will saves, modified unnatural beauty and such as is shown on the sheet under special abilities)

She will soon pick her animal companion, and I will soon be attempting to teach her how to choose her spells. My question is if anyone has neat ideas for a way to start an adventure for new player, who isn't a big combat guru, and isn't that great at soloing these types of RP problems/situations(yet) Since, she seems to be going the buffer route(not 100% sure yet, I'll see) I am considering adding a DM-PC to help her out. Any ideas for adventures or her level 1 feat are welcome.
sheet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=274397)

Thanks,
Theos and Lily

dsmiles
2011-02-10, 08:43 PM
Here's some random plot hooks (http://geekcentricity.com/2010/10/200-hooks-of-plotting.html) that could work for short games, if you're into writing your own adventures. If not, I recommend the 3e adventure series (Sunless Citadel, Forge of Fury, etc). They're meant for beginners.

zorba1994
2011-02-10, 11:51 PM
Consider using adventures that to most active players seem rather cliche. Throw in dragons, (I mean, it's in the name, and can be a big hook for some newbies) and let roll.

May I suggest having an orc tribe allied with a green dragon threatening her home forest?

Jay R
2011-02-11, 12:16 AM
Step one is to get more players. See if she wants to invite a couple of her friends over. A difficult encounter-- any difficult encounter-- can be overwhelming for a new player who doesn't happen to think of the answer.

The danger of a DM-PC is that, if she needs it, she can quickly become a passive witness to you solving your own traps and encounters. If she needs support, don't make it a DM-PC; make it a straightforward NPC. But the ideal is to have other PCs.

Barbin
2011-02-11, 12:31 AM
Jay R's got the right idea you REALLY need have her friend over. This comes from personal experience of trying that with a twn year old.