PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Sorcerous Skillmonkey

Thurbane
2011-02-10, 08:41 PM
Looking for tips to make a skillmonkey type Sorcerer based character (by skillmonkey, I mean lots of skills, preferably with trapfinding, although that isn’t an absolute necessity). The wider the array of skills, the better.

Let’s get the obvious out of the way first – yes, Beguilers and Bards already do this better, but I am specifically looking for Sorcerer casting.

So what feats, PrCs and such am I looking at? I’d like to balance skills with losing caster levels (i.e. still Ideally getting 9th level spells at 20). A dip in Rogue or Spellthief seems to be necessary to get into PrCs like Unseen Seer, Arcane Trickster or Loremaster. Human Paragon and Ruathar seem to hold possibilities too.

All advice welcome – my usual sources are on the table (no Dragon mag, no setting specific – FR or Eberron, no ToB, no MoI, no psionics). All other WotC hardbacks are pretty much in.

Cheers - T

Dusk Eclipse
2011-02-10, 08:44 PM
A standard Spellthief 1/Sorc 4/Unseen Seer 10/Spellwarp Sniper or Arcane Trickster 5 (depending if you go a more "gish-y" route or a ray based one) seems to be what you are looking for.

Able learner and master spellthief, and you are ready to go to town.

Stat priority would be Cha>Dex>Int>Con (no less than 12 IMO)>Wis>Str.

dsmiles
2011-02-10, 08:46 PM
Human paragon is awesome, and I think 1/2 Elf paragon might be a help here, too (though I'm AFB, so I'm not 100% sure).

Thurbane
2011-02-10, 08:46 PM
Nice. So assuming elite array (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8), how many skill points would that build end up with?

Tenebris
2011-02-11, 01:35 AM
I've always been in love with the soulcaster. Providing you shape the right soulmelds you will need little more than that PrC.

This should be helpful:
More info (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870566/Incarnate_by_the_numbers)

If you have nothing against being dragon-themed some of the draconic heritage feats will also do. You will like Draconic Knowledge and Draconic Senses, but to fuel them you will have to take more draconic heritage feats.

Andion Isurand
2011-02-11, 05:24 AM
You could stack Paragnostic Apostle (Complete Champion) and Loremaster levels to maximize the Bardic Knack ACF (PH2 35).

You could also start with a level of Cloistered Cleric at first level to draw upon a lot of skill points, Knowledge Devotion, and two other domains/devotion feats, and stack its Lore ability into the Bardic Knack pool.

Planning domain would grant you the Extend spell feat which would add to one of the three metamagic feats you need to get into Loremaster. Then you could try to get Skill Focus feat for Knowledge (History, Nature or Relgion) from the Frog God's Fane (Complete Scoundrel) to further qualify for Loremaster.

Either way, you could end up with at least 14 levels of Lore at level 20, which equates to having at least 7 ranks in every skill for the purpose of skill checks only. Then of course you'd have a decent epic progression and could farm for synergy bonuses with the careful assignment of actual skill ranks.

Kind of like this if you draw a line between PHB and ELH //

| +0 | +2 | +3 | +4 | +5 | +6 | Synergy Bonus gained...
| 00 | 05 | 15 | 25 | 35 | 45 | ...from Ranks in each source Skill