PDA

View Full Version : [3.x] Enchantment Cleric

Jergmo
2011-02-10, 09:52 PM
Ho there, Playgrounders. I would speak with you for a moment.

So, I've got a bit of a problem. I'm DMing a campaign and I need to find a PRC for the DMPC, a former enemy that they took in and made friendly with. The problem is, for the life of me I can't seem to find a PRC that would work for her. The cleric was fallen and moved on with that whole personal power schtick, so PRCs focused on a deity are out - the deity she worshipped had the Domination domain, for starters, and she has both Spell Focus and Greater Spell Focus in Enchantment. If I can't find anything, I'll probably homebrew, but I wanted to exhaust my options first.

Can you folks think of any prestige classes, core, splatbook or homebrew, that would work for a cleric that uses Enchantment spells? :smallconfused:

Endarire
2011-02-11, 12:10 AM
You could house rule Mindbender (Complete Arcane) to be 10/10 casting. You could adapt Thrallherd (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/thrallherd.htm) for her.

There's also the Enchantment domain in Spell Compendium.

ZeroSpace9000
2011-02-11, 12:49 AM
Unfortunately, the whole 'no gods' thing really restricts your options. The only thing that would be worthwhile is Ur-Priest, given that you steal spells from gods instead of pray for them.

With that said, I STRONGLY reccomend not using a DMPC. Unless you really know what you're doing, it can only end badly.

Jergmo
2011-02-11, 01:14 PM
Unfortunately, the whole 'no gods' thing really restricts your options. The only thing that would be worthwhile is Ur-Priest, given that you steal spells from gods instead of pray for them.

With that said, I STRONGLY reccomend not using a DMPC. Unless you really know what you're doing, it can only end badly.

She was actually just going to be a low level boss encounter that was meant to die, but they went and restrained her and over time befriended her after getting her to surrender.

dextercorvia
2011-02-11, 02:07 PM
Have her turn on them at once, perhaps murdering someone in their sleep, so that they never again attempt to leave a boss unkilled.:smallbiggrin:

Edit: Then you don't have to think of a PrC.

ZeroSpace9000
2011-02-11, 02:10 PM
It mainly has to do with what exactly a DMPC entails. What you're describing is simply a recurring NPC, which is completely alright. A DMPC is, in short, a pet NPC of the DM who has a disgusting tendency to upstage the player.

Have you ever had moments where you wished 'Man, monk should so have full BAB', but weren't given it because the DM said no? Well, now you're the DM, and can make said character as awesome as you want.

DMPC's used to fill gaps in the party's abilities are alright, but they're generally best played as deferent towards the PC's. The moment they start taking an active role in the party, beyond what they were inserted for, they stand a chance to take over the game.

I have used DMPC's early in my DMing career, but have wised up to the reality of them. Just figured I should do my part to get things cleared up before it could destroy your game.