PDA

View Full Version : Random Anonymous D&D Questions.

AnonymousD&Der
2011-02-11, 02:03 AM
Another thread of questions by another random roller of the dice... all questions are for D&D 3.5, and don't lest the book choices be -too- out-there, although there's not too much rule on what books are or aren't available. My collection has been increasing rather well, and anything my DM doesn't have, I probably do.

Can I modify a Thread to include a Pole? There's a story idea I'd like to present, and a Pole would be a good way to decide which way to go with it.

I'd like a list of all types of abilities affecting people. I think I got most of them, but am I missing any possible status ailments beside Blind, Confusion, Dazed, Dazzled, Deaf, Disabled, Exhausted, Poisoned, Fascinated, Fatigued, Frightened, Nauseated, Panicked, Paralyzed, Insane, Petrified, Diseased, Shaken, Sickened, Stunned, Unconscious, Charmed, Compulsed, Slowed, Fear, Lost Body Parts, Ability Damage, Ability Drained, Energy Drained, Dying, and Death?

Another, slightly more tedious, list would be Buff Spells. I'd rather not have too many from random books, especially if it's just one per book, but there's a member of our group who basically wants to be the world's best support character, and a list of spells for his multiclass butt (he's got his classes down, but wants to know of spells he could study and and to his list) to follow. I didn't do too many buffs my first campaigns.... Just kinda blew everything up. Go Druids! Transform and Roll Out! (holy crap, Optimus Prime was a Druid!?!)

I asked about it in a previous thread (and I probably should have just found the thread and continued it... couldn't have been all that long, so necromancy wouldn't be all that big a sin), but I was curious about a Wyrmling Dragon Familiar. Me, the DM, and the player in question decided that rasing an Egg that would turn into the Dragon at an appropriate level (we're thinking most likely Level 10 for him) would be fine, so long as the Egg was more than just a hinderance until then. The pay off would probably be worth it, but the artificial difficulty in being forced to roleplay taking care of the egg would probably be made fairer if, as deserving (possibly) of being a Dragon Egg, the thing wasn't simply an oval target. What special abilities, possibly per level of the master, would, or , for that matter, could, a Dragon Egg have until it hatched into the Breath Spitting, Swift Flying, Scaled little Zilla we'd have to ensure didn't kill everyone?

At the beginning of my first recent thread, I also established a desire for my own character to be able to use weapons bigger than he is. I've placated that desire, for my own character's overall effectiveness, but not completely. Think about it: an adventuring party running through the ruins of an old fortress to get back to their next destination in time, only to come accross their old foe, as well as a new member of said foe's party, brandishing a weapon large enough to piece the sky itself? Said foe revealed in dramatic fashion by stabing towards the party / slicing through / crushing the base of one of the remaining towers (and if not dirrectly attacking during that round, then by making the tower fall towards the group)? You can't say that that wouldn't make an epic enemy. I'd like to ask if anyone has any ideas for the stats of the character? The only requirement would be for the size of the foe to stay at medium (coolness only goes up if it's small, but let's avoid having tiny or smaller characters brandishing weapons the size of a Grand Wyrm Dragon, despite how awesome it would be to have Tinkerbell swinging a weapon the size of a Blimp), and for the weapon to be as big as possible. I suppose when the foe would be encountered could be based on how big the weapon (admitedly as well as how dangerous the foe would be) is, and the exact type of weapon wouldn't matter. I sure as heck don't want the party to be on the receiving end of 8d6 Damage per every single time this joker moved (that might be kinda dangerous), so I'm perfectly fine with the accuracy being below 50% (but it can't be below 90%. He's still gotta hit a little). I shouldn't be dreaming up this foe in my head 3 hours after I should have been asleep and on a day where I should be sleeping in, so I'll answer questions about the ****er when I become stable. Otherwise, go nuts! Get me an encounter as epic as fighting Jack Rakan!

Damn.... I'm almost certain I've forgotten a few other questions, so I'm gonna ear-mark this thread. Am I allowed to Necro my own threads, by the way? Thanks for any feedback!

Yora
2011-02-11, 06:29 AM
Never seen any polls in this forum, so I guess they are not supported here.

To weild huge weapons, the feat Monkey Grip is what you're looking for. It's generally considered a poor choice for a feat, but if it doesn't bother you that the character isn't that effective with his huge weapon, that wouldn't be a problem. I think the drawback is -2 to all attack rolls, but I don't know in which book the feat is.
A large greatsword would cost 100 gp and deal 3d6 damage.

dsmiles
2011-02-11, 08:03 AM
To weild huge weapons, the feat Monkey Grip is what you're looking for. It's generally considered a poor choice for a feat, but if it doesn't bother you that the character isn't that effective with his huge weapon, that wouldn't be a problem. I think the drawback is -2 to all attack rolls, but I don't know in which book the feat is.
The original feat was in Sword and Fist, and I believe they updated it in CWar or CAdv.

Killer Angel
2011-02-11, 08:08 AM

Yep. As far as I know, Polls were disabled (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142116&highlight=poll).

Serpentine
2011-02-11, 08:08 AM
Polls, not poles. They're supported, but disabled except by special permission from the mods.

Check the rules for the thread necromancy rules. You're only allowed to resurrect your own thread without permission in the Homebrew section. Otherwise, no (maybe with permission, but I don't think you're likely to get it).

AnonymousD&Der
2011-02-12, 01:09 AM

The original feat was in Sword and Fist, and I believe they updated it in CWar or CAdv.

I wonder what the rules are for homebrewed feats... when I asked for warblade stuff, I learned about Monkey Grip and how inaffective it is for player characters. But it doesn't give me a big enough weapon size for a Boss character. Maybe an Improved Monkey Grip, at a (-2 to -4) additional penalty for making the weapon another size higher, but only available as an NPC Feat....

Yep. As far as I know, Polls were disabled (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142116&highlight=poll).

Polls, not poles. They're supported, but disabled except by special permission from the mods.

Well damn... I suppose it's too early to deal with the side quest anyways.... I'll ask about it later...

Check the rules for the thread necromancy rules. You're only allowed to resurrect your own thread without permission in the Homebrew section. Otherwise, no (maybe with permission, but I don't think you're likely to get it).

I'll avoid thread Necromancy then, just to make sure I don't get my ass burned alive by the Mods... god damn mods. Always getting in the way of perfectly good necromancy... they're like damn Paladins....
(totally kiding, moderators. Please don't hurt me.)

My previous questions still semiquazi stand, even if I'm putting off the awesome enemy (until I can figure out feat info) and the story line (until we actually need something else for our players to screw up and have to fix) for a little while. The questions are:

1) Any type of ability or other status effect, maybe spell related, that I've missed from my list earlier,

2) Any chance anyone's got a list of buffs (and possibly the books they got them from, incase the spells come from wild books) I could use? ... I should get off of my lazy ass and just make a list myself, since I'm the one being charged to help out the Token Chick's class by giving her the ultimate support spell list... but meh, I can't be judged for sloth. It's probably the least damning of the 7 deadly sins anyway, and half of my country suffers from it, so I'll probably be overlooked for it for a while before it's an issue.

3) Dragon Egg Abilities so that a Dragon Egg wouldn't totally stink until it turned into a proper Dragon Familiar. Any ideas?

NEW* 4) While I'm here, I've got 2 more questions. How many Class Features should a Class have? Obviously if the affects are rather static, and overall don't make the character over powered, then they could probably easily have a new trick every level. But if the abilities would make the character a Deus Ex Machina, then the character probably shouldn't have the abilities, or the abilities should be nerfed.

NEW* 5) My other question is what are the general guidelines on custom character races? One of the other players wants a custom race, and while story wise it probably wouldn't make too much of an effect on the planet to include half human hybridish creatures into an otherwise sword and spell fantasy world, gameplay balance has trained me to hall up a big warning flag whenever a player has a custom -anything-, since min-maxing with the material you are given is okay, but doing it with custom material is -SO- not cool. Seriously though, those kinda players are annoying, and making sure the race isn't better than everyone elses is probably a good idea. I'll post the race statistics down later, if I need to.

Truth Time: Questions 1, 2, and 4 are all about one of our friends playing Team Medic. I saw another thread that had an awesomely remade healer, but dirrectly using it doesn't seem cool. Plus she still liked the idea of a Unicorn. So, I'm gonna paraphrase, reduce here and upgrade here, some of the abilities of the retooled Healer I saw in question, and combine it and the Healer into a wet sticky mess of a class. Only to allow her the pleasure of being able to play the world's most amazing medicimal character ever (except for including Haste as a buff for her. That's completely for my Warblade's awesomeness. GM approved, since the Sorc's gonna be a Blaster, and the Medic may as well be able to do something other than Heal people).

Edit: It was T.G.Oskar's Retooled Healer that will be just so ever slightly nerfed and assimilated into the normal Healer. I'd use his spell list, and I probably will go through his list and check out the spells for our Healer, but I don't feel like just completely copying anyone's work. Plagarism is not cool, no matter how awesome his Healer is. Although I do appreciate it and the class features we intend to use for our own Healer, and are greatful for it.

Again, thanks for the input so far (darn lack of polls. XD), and thanks for any continued help!

LansXero
2011-02-12, 01:21 AM
I wonder what the rules are for homebrewed feats... when I asked for warblade stuff, I learned about Monkey Grip and how inaffective it is for player characters. But it doesn't give me a big enough weapon size for a Boss character.

Will try to read and comment on the rest, but for this: Shillelagh Oil? if its a primitive / druidish type of boss, a large club would go up 2 sizes, so Gargantuan I think. And if its a large boss, he would be wielding a huge club (or other shillelagheable weapons) and it would go to colossal. Or just call it a tree

As for finding specific spells, I think SpellGen (a program that lets you sort of make your own spellbook) is very very useful..

AnonymousD&Der
2011-02-12, 01:48 AM
Will try to read and comment on the rest, but for this: Shillelagh Oil? if its a primitive / druidish type of boss, a large club would go up 2 sizes, so Gargantuan I think. And if its a large boss, he would be wielding a huge club (or other shillelagheable weapons) and it would go to colossal. Or just call it a tree.

I suppose Large is acceptable, especially for a gosh darn colossal weapon. Wait.... Colossal as in seriously a 70 Foot Long Weapon!?! HOLY HELL -YES-! Just gotta know what Shillelagh Oil is.

And yes, when compared to my previous comments, it is easy to realise that I have a horrible sense of size, although I am aware that I am 6 feet tall, and so the weapon would be FREAKING 11 TIMES BIGGER THAN I AM! FREAKING AWESOME! YES! YES! A THOUSAND TIMES YES!

LansXero
2011-02-12, 03:18 AM
Shillelagh
Transmutation
Level: Drd 1
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: One touched nonmagical oak club or quarterstaff
Duration: 1 min./level
Saving Throw: Will negates (object)
Spell Resistance: Yes (object)

Your own nonmagical club or quarterstaff becomes a weapon with a +1 enhancement bonus on attack and damage rolls. (A quarterstaff gains this enhancement for both ends of the weapon.) It deals damage as if it were two size categories larger. These effects only occur when the weapon is wielded by you. If you do not wield it, the weapon behaves as if unaffected by this spell.

I mentioned an oil in the case your planned NPC wasnt a druid. Sadly Ive seem to misread it; it doesnt actually make the weapon bigger; only makes it deal damage as if it were :(

Ravens_cry
2011-02-12, 04:43 AM
Another way to get an animesqe weapon are Strongarm Bracers, they are to be found in the Magic Item Compendium, I do not know their original source. They are pretty cheap and better then Monkey Grip since you don't get the -2 penalty, if I remember correctly.