PDA

View Full Version : Persona Campaign [3.5]

Milo v3
2011-02-11, 02:31 AM
I was playing Persona 3 recently and wondered if thier was anyway I could play a Persona style game.
Also I wanted it set in Modern times but I don't get some of the D20 Modern stuff.

EdroGrimshell
2011-02-11, 02:35 AM
I was playing Persona 3 recently and wondered if thier was anyway I could play a Persona style game.
Also I wanted it set in Modern times but I don't get some of the D20 Modern stuff.

I think this should be in the Recruitment section, unless your making a homebrew setting and asking for help making it, in which case you need more to go on.

Milo v3
2011-02-11, 05:05 AM
I was meaning a Homebrew setting. I'll try and explain myself better.
I wanted to play a D&D game using the Persona setting. I am trying to turn Persona into a playable D20 system.
I was hoping to get support from Gitpg and try and make a quality campaign setting.
Its like making a campaign setting for Elder Scrolls. But instead of converting Elder Scrolls to D20, I'm converting Persona.

Its a fairly strange game when it comes to mechanics so I can't do it on my own.

erikun
2011-02-11, 03:17 PM
I haven't played Persona 3. I do have it, though, and it's on my playing list.

As for the campaign, the biggest issue I see is that most Persona/Shin Megami Tensei games don't have a large amount of consistency. That is, the events in Persona 2 don't seem to have any relation to the events in Persona 3, which something like Elder Scrolls or Dragon Age have an intentional consistency which makes crafting a campaign easier. The other thing is that most of the consistency in Shin Megami Tensei are the demons - which means you'll be focusing on rules for negotiating, fusing, and binding demons rather than any kind of setting issues.

Probably the trickiest part would be figuring out how fusing is supposed to work. Negotiations would be relatively easy - just fix the diplomancy rules - and binding would just involve increasing the PC's stats to that of the demon, along with granting them the demon's SLAs. Fusing in the games apparently relies on tables or other complex formulae to determine the resulting demon, which would be exceptionally awkward to try to replicate with dice and paper.

Milo v3
2011-02-11, 04:25 PM
Thank you four reminding me about 1 & 2.
You see 1 & 2 are basically completely different series of games to 3 & 4.
I was going to turn 3 & 4 into a campaign setting.
Negotating
In 3 & 4 thiers no negotating as thier are no demons. Thier are "Shadows" & "Persona".
But if you check the wiki you see that nearly all the Persona in 3 & 4 are Demons in some of the other series.

Fusion
Fusing doesn't require complex formulars or tables in 3.
Each Fusion creaes specific persona which depends on the Persona being fused. The only complex part of it is the 0.0001 chance that thier will be an error and you get one of the Persona's you fused (But at a higher level).
Thier is a table in the Persona 3 Mannual that makes fusion "appear" complex. But that just shows what Arcana the result will be.
E.g. If you had Pixe (of the Lovers Arcana) and fused it will Orpheus (Of the Fool Arcana) the only possible result is Apsaras (of the Priestess Arcana).

Also thiers no binding Demons in Persona 3 or 4 because thier are no demons.

Burnheart
2011-02-11, 06:45 PM
This is a cool idea Persona 3 and 4 are some of my favourite games, 4 especially. What sort of help do you want help with fluff, crunch or both?

erikun
2011-02-11, 06:53 PM
Well then, I really do not think I will be able to help any - I haven't had the chance to play Persona 4 either. Good luck with the campaign, though.

I still think that working with the Personas and spirit world (or whatever the equilivant is) would be more practical than trying to peg down specific details about the "real world" cities the games take place in. From what I've heard, most of the interesting stuff happens when things get weird anyways, not when people are just walking around town.

Milo v3
2011-02-11, 06:59 PM
Mainly mechanics.
- How would social links work?
- Also would we use D20 modern or just D20 (Note: I don't really get D20 Modern).
- How would "Shuffle Time" work? Fusion is simple (IMO) but Shuffle time.
- Also we would need to make the stats of shadows.
- Magic would use the same system as the game (Points).
- No spell casters as thats what persona are for.

And thats allI can think of at the moment.

Vauron
2011-02-11, 09:23 PM
First, how many people do you intend for this to be for? P3 and P4 are both very much 'one special person and his weaker friends'. When it comes to Social Links, does each character share one 'pool', so that if one of them maxes out Tower its like they all did? Does each player have their own links to take care of? Do they have links with each other?

I feel you are selling short the complexity of the fusion system, especially the inheritance part of it.

Shuffle time is mostly important in that it is how you gain access to personae. While the minor arcana did play a role in P3, it's not anything important enough to bother with before the rest is in place, if ever.

You will likely need two classes, one for those able to use persona, such as Yukari, and one for those who also have divine backing, like how Souji has the favor of Izanagi and/or Philemon.

Milo v3
2011-02-11, 11:03 PM
I personally see no way I can make Social Links work. As its amazingly complicated.
If its in a non-Solo game then the players might start to just talk with each other until thier social link for each other is full.

I don't see why thier should be 2 classes. In my eyes the Protaganist in 3 & 4 are just normal persona users (statisically) but choose the "Wild Card" Feat.

If its a feat though then you should only be able to get it via story means or 1st level.

Or we could simplify it and make it that you like the NPC's only get one Persona & its Ultimate Persona. Then it gains power via leveling.
But then thiers no fusion, Velvet Room, or controlling multipule persona.

Bad Situation
2011-02-12, 01:18 AM
A person with the Wild Card would have a LOT of bookkeeping to keep up with...

Milo v3
2011-02-12, 01:37 AM
A person with the Wild Card would have a LOT of bookkeeping to keep up with...

Thats why Igor makes Elizabith do it.:smalltongue:

So should we make it you can't have the Wild Card? That way every characters on the same page & more balanced.

The only problem I see with that system is that thier is the chance a jerk DM will force someone to use Pixie for the entire game.:smallwink:

Bad Situation
2011-02-12, 01:52 AM
Or you could limit it. The range and versatility of the Wild Card tends to vary (with Minato having the strongest due to Death's influence) so perhaps a weakened version would be suitable.

Maybe just let everybody choose a principle Arcana and let them draw their own Personae from their matching list?

Milo v3
2011-02-12, 02:08 AM
Maybe just let everybody choose a principle Arcana and let them draw their own Personae from their matching list?

I like this idea it reminds me of the "Summon (Insert Theme)" Spells.
I think it would be like the Animal Companions. Once you reach this level you can swap your ? for ? but your Effective Persona User Level will be decreased, only a Slight decrease though (because Persona's are more important than Animal Companions).

I've started to make a "Persona User Class". Will post when done.