PDA

View Full Version : Help me Build.

profitofrage
2011-02-11, 06:26 AM
Hello everyone, Profitofrage here and I was looking for some helpful comments from the playground.

Basically I run Dark Heresy and Deathwatch campaigns this is due to an extreme love for the warhammer 40k setting..few compare to it in my opinion.
Anyway what I have found is that I stick to one very in depth campaign.
I have spent many many months working on the campaign..the plot hooks the twists..preparing for various choices the players will make while still keeping it rather free form.
Basically I'm looking for a way to branch out, to make new characters and shy away from the typical campaign I usually run.

As a total change of pace, I was thinking a 1- 2 player game based on an ex Arbite officer turned private investigator (or the 40k equivilent). It would largly be a horror campaign.
What I want from the playground is...well what cool interesting character concepts do you guys have tucked away.
:) any will do the idea is to inspire.

What neat situations can you come up with?
Would you play this kind of campaign?

FelixG
2011-02-11, 06:37 AM
If you want to break out of the mold completely pick up the Rogue Trader ship rules (I think you can get them free online from Fantasy Flight Games) and toss the players a ship and see what they want to do with it.

When you find out what your characters want to do or try from there you can make stories up, lots of smaller bite sized campaigns on different planets.

That way you can go from horror, to intrigue, battle, invasion ect.

profitofrage
2011-02-11, 06:40 AM
I do have the ruleset. I was considering it, it would be wildly interesting to DM a game where they players had a ship. However for whatever reason ive never been particularly interested in Rouge Trader. I prefer the far more vulnerable Characters of Dark Heresy. Indeed Deathwatch i only play when i REALLY want to be crazy powerful.

FelixG
2011-02-11, 06:42 AM
I do have the ruleset. I was considering it, it would be wildly interesting to DM a game where they players had a ship. However for whatever reason ive never been particularly interested in Rouge Trader. I prefer the far more vulnerable Characters of Dark Heresy. Indeed Deathwatch i only play when i REALLY want to be crazy powerful.

I was suggesting just importing the RT ship rules into DH, not using the classes and all from RT. That way they are still vulnerable (at lower XP anyway) but have the freedom to move about their sector.

profitofrage
2011-02-11, 06:48 AM
My current campaign has them in a Hazeroth frigate, but they dont actually own it. Its simply home base for them and there superiors (who do own it)

It would be interesting to have them actually OWN it and have free run of the ship.
:) very good suggestion
Any more?

FelixG
2011-02-11, 06:51 AM
My current campaign has them in a Hazeroth frigate, but they dont actually own it. Its simply home base for them and there superiors (who do own it)

It would be interesting to have them actually OWN it and have free run of the ship.
:) very good suggestion
Any more?

Hmmm if you want it Horror....The reason the ship could come into their possession is you could pull a Dead Space on them with either Chaos turning the people into monsters or some low powered 'nids?

profitofrage
2011-02-11, 06:55 AM
Mmmm a Nurgle plague springs to mind. Or a genestealer infestation got to the crew. That would mean lots of crazy mutants.
Or Slaught got on board with some of there nastier bioconstructs...managed to get one that was transferable?

The only issue is would they WANT to keep a ship filled with such things? since even the smallest void capable 40k ship is 600 meters in length...could they be sure to have gotten them all? :P

FelixG
2011-02-11, 06:58 AM
a 600 meter long ship makes a good place for a small campaign setting ~.^ Perhaps there is a Virus Bomb secreted away on the ship and their goal is to hunt it down, activate it then escape in a lighter before the virus is released then they can come back and reclaim the ship?

After all, after the crazy mutants are good by the virus they can pick up new low deck laborers from a (hopefully!) nearby world to clean the ship up nicely :smallbiggrin:

profitofrage
2011-02-11, 07:00 AM
I like the idea of the virus bomb :P would make a great reason why they can "trust" the ship to be free of "taint" while at the same time make for great future plot hooks XD
"Remember that virus bomb...well seems like it hadnt totally worn off on some levels.....some of the lower deck workers have started to die...others havnt...there the ones to worry about."