PDA

View Full Version : Rogue vs. Rokugan ninja

Mater
2011-02-11, 11:10 AM
Hi guys,

after a half year starvation we decided to run a new campaign. For myself I was thinking about rather offensive kind of a shady character. I came up with the few ideas but am still not sure how to proceed with rogue and rokugan ninja. The second one seams to be more battle viable (fighter bab) but he looses evasion SP and the other stuff. I was just wondering how well will he do with two weapons compared to rogue (possible rogue/fighter)....what would be your choice. Rpg wise, powergaming wise and overal efectivness wise.

Very much appreciate every advice you can give me....so thanks in advance :-) Mater

Telonius
2011-02-11, 12:57 PM
Why choose between them? Rogue16/Ninja4 would get you 10d6 sneak attack, a better Will save, and a higher BAB, at the cost of a slightly lower Ref save and a few skill points.

Beelzebub1111
2011-02-11, 01:02 PM
If I remember correctly, Rokugan ninja have either alignment restrictions or need to be dedicated to a Lord (I forget which)

Curmudgeon
2011-02-11, 01:23 PM
Why choose between them? Rogue16/Ninja4 would get you 10d6 sneak attack, a better Will save, and a higher BAB, at the cost of a slightly lower Ref save and a few skill points.
Don't forget losing a Rogue special ability, and the hassle of getting your DM to go over the class for all those "minor adjustments" involved in converting from 3.0 material.

Saint GoH
2011-02-11, 03:28 PM
The don't have to be dedicated to a Lord, but they do need to remain nonlawful. If they become lawful they can no longer progress in teh class, but maintain all class abilities.

I personally like the Rokugan Ninja for a few token abilities. Namely, they get an enhancement bonus to their speed = to Con Mod*5, and poison use at level 2. Full BAB is lovely, as is 10d6 SA.

I think Rogue Special abilities win the day, so I further suggest a mix of Rogue and Ninja. More Rogue if you want a larger skill list and an extra special ability, more ninja if you want BAB and better will. I think I'd probably go Rogue 15/Ninja 5, to nab 11d6 SA, some To Hit, and a slightly better Will Save at the cost of 2 special abilities

Person_Man
2011-02-11, 04:01 PM
Is a homebrew Ninja (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186505) an option?

Anywho, for me it depends on the ECL of the game and books allowed.

Rogugan Ninja (http://l5r.alderac.com/archive/rpg/rokugan_ninja.pdf) key abilities are full BAB, Sneak Attack, Speed of Darkness (Int to Initiative), and Shadow Run (Con to base speed). None of those are abilities are particularly impressive. But at lower levels they're superior to the Rogue.

Rogue gets UMD, Sneak Attack, Evasion, and Special Abilities, which don't start to kick in until level 10+. Again, nothing amazing. But at higher levels they're superior to the Rogugan Ninja abilities.