PDA

View Full Version : Overland Travel as a Cleric

Elric VIII
2011-02-11, 11:57 AM
Our party has been required to undertake a fair amount of overland travel recently and the Sorcerer does not have either Overland Flight or Teleport, so I have been our main means of transport. We are level 11 and I have been transporting us by Avoid Planar Effects -> Plane Shift: Plane of Shadow -> Plane Shift: Material Plane. Is there a more efficient way to expedite our travel that's possible for a Cleric?

Radar
2011-02-11, 12:09 PM
Dinnae look down, dinnae look down. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0647.html) Or to be clear: Wind Walk (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/windWalk.htm) is just within your reach.

tyckspoon
2011-02-11, 12:10 PM
You could Plane Shift to a more hospitable plane; it'll take the same amount of time and you'll wind up the same amount of distance off-target, so you may as well spend those ~6 seconds on in the Seven Heavens or Elysia or somewhere. Mind, I'm not sure why you're using Avoid Planar Effects there- there's nothing inherently dangerous about the Plane of Shadow, aside from the slim chance of accidentally Plane Shifting on top of a Shadow Dragon.

Other than that, you should have 6th level spells, so you could use Wind Walk; not instant like Teleport, but between Plane Shift and Wind Walk to cover the distance variance you should be able to go pretty much anywhere within a single day if you don't mind expending a significant portion of your power.

Psyren
2011-02-11, 12:11 PM
There might be a lower-level solution too - what are your domaiins, and what are the domains of your deity/cause/pantheon?

Toliudar
2011-02-11, 12:20 PM
+1 to wind walk, with this method having the advantage of a great more control over where you land, and being able to survey the area in between departure and destination. You're covering more than 750 miles in a single day - in many D&D settings, that's a new country every day.

Elric VIII
2011-02-12, 02:52 AM
Huh, Wind Walk is actually a really good option, but it will still take 2 spell slots since there are 5 of us.

I currently have Divine Magician and Inquisition as my domains, but I have not yet chosen my 6th level Divine Magician Spell.

The reason I chose the shadow plane is because you can travel faster there (as far as I've been told) I don't know much about the various planes, etc as I've never played in a game where we have been a high enough level to actually have access to them.

Psyren
2011-02-12, 10:08 AM
Huh, Wind Walk is actually a really good option, but it will still take 2 spell slots since there are 5 of us.

Don't you have a portable hole or similar? Have the 5th guy sit in it and be carried by the 4th guy (with a Bottle of Air if needed.)

JeminiZero
2011-02-12, 10:21 AM

You are a Cleric! Caster Level boosting shenanigans are well within your reach!

Easiest way is probably to cast and trigger Adept Spirit [Cleric 2, MoI] to push CL to 12 just before casting Windwalk. Or if that isn't available, check here (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872350/Raising_Caster_Level) for more.

Elric VIII
2011-02-12, 11:23 AM
Don't you have a portable hole or similar? Have the 5th guy sit in it and be carried by the 4th guy (with a Bottle of Air if needed.)

I think we might have picked up a portable hole somewhere along the line, that's a good idea.

You are a Cleric! Caster Level boosting shenanigans are well within your reach!

Easiest way is probably to cast and trigger Adept Spirit [Cleric 2, MoI] to push CL to 12 just before casting Windwalk. Or if that isn't available, check here (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872350/Raising_Caster_Level) for more.

Thanks for the link.

tyckspoon
2011-02-12, 11:32 AM
The reason I chose the shadow plane is because you can travel faster there (as far as I've been told) I don't know much about the various planes, etc as I've never played in a game where we have been a high enough level to actually have access to them.

Ah. Well, that is technically true- it's how the Shadow Walk spell functions- but you don't actually need to do any traveling on the plane itself. Once you Plane Shift away from the Material, you can choose any location as your target to Plane Shift back to, and you'll be the exact same 5dpercentile off-target. Total exposure to the transition plane: 1 round.

Akal Saris
2011-02-12, 11:59 AM
While not the best solution, there is also Planar Ally, which can get you extraplanar friends with plane shift or wind walk at will. The Janni and the Astral Deva are both available. It would be a good option if you expect to fight soon after arriving, since having an astral deva would be a significant boost to a party's power.