PDA

View Full Version : A Deck of Many Lesser Things

Desril
2011-02-11, 12:48 PM
We all know that the Deck of Many Things is the bane of any serious campaign, but it's a fun item. Can anyone help me make a lesser version of it so that it's usable by lower level characters (about 3rd) and not instantly turn them into gods or obliterate them beyond any hope of recovery? What I have so far:

Two of spades: Change alignment instantly.
Two of diamonds: Defeat the next monster you meet to gain one level.
Ace of spades: You are imprisoned.
Queen of spades: -1 penalty on all saving throws henceforth.
Ace of hearts: Avoid any situation you choose . . . once.
Queen of clubs: Enmity between you and an outsider.
Joker (w/trademark): Lose 1,000 experience points and you must draw again.
Two of hearts: Gain your choice of two pieces of jewelry or five gems. (2500gp)
Two of clubs: Lose 2 Intelligence (permanent drain). You may draw again.
Joker (w/o trademark): Gain 1,000 XP or two more draws from the deck.
Queen of hearts: Gain a minor magic weapon.
Jack of hearts: Gain the service of a 4th-level fighter.
Queen of diamonds: You are granted 1 ring of djinn calling (1 lesser wish usable)
Jack of spades: One of your friends turns against you.
King of spades: Immediately lose all wealth, property, and non-magic items
Jack of clubs: Defeat an evil clone or be replaced by it.
Jack of diamonds: Immediately gain a +2 inherent bonus to one ability score.
King of diamonds: Gain beneficial lesser wondrous item and 1,000 XP.
Ace of clubs: One random magic item in your possession is lost forever.
King of hearts: Your hand glows with an awesome power. Unarmed strikes deal an additional 1d6 fire damage. (I had to)
Ace of diamonds: Know the answer to your next dilemma.
King of clubs: Body functions, but soul is trapped elsewhere. (This is the one that I'm having most trouble making a 'lesser' version of, so far my solution is 'the body always points toward the soul, time to go questing')

*Edit* This might need to go in the homebrew section, I'm not entirely sure.

Volos
2011-02-11, 01:12 PM
First of all, the Deck of Many Things is a Minor Artifact. Even a 'lesser' version of it would require very powerful magic and would still be very costly to create and devestating to unleash. I'd take a wild guess to say even the 'lesser' version wouldn't be avaliable until 20th level. Whereas Artifacts shouldn't land in the laps of the players until much later, if at all. Maybe what you are looking for is the Rod of Wonder? It does a bunch of random stuff and it's affordable for a low level party. I once had a group of 5 players with 5 Rods. First round of combat they would all activate their Rods and let the fun begin. It was a strange campaign.

mabriss lethe
2011-02-11, 07:57 PM
King of hearts: Your hand glows with an awesome power. Unarmed strikes deal an additional 1d6 fire damage. (I had to)

The first rule of G Gundam is "We do not talk about G Gundam."