PDA

View Full Version : Help Coplantor with his job

Coplantor
2011-02-11, 01:06 PM
Well, here's the deal, I need to know if there ever was a Facebook group that actually managed to acomplish it's goal. I'm talking about the “let's get X ammount of followers so Y can happen“ kind of group.

Or actually, any kind of story in which facebook affected real life in a (mostly at least) positive way.

pendell
2011-02-11, 01:09 PM
Political groups have successfully used facebook as a vehicle for organizing protests and for communication. Examples are out of bounds for this forum, but a quick look at today's livestream would suggest fruitful areas for research.

But I can't think of any facebook group that is NOT political in some way that has accomplished something.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Castaras
2011-02-11, 01:11 PM
Two people with same name find each other over facebook and get married (http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/31994977/ns/today-relationships/)

Not really a group, but it's facebook related. Groupwise... there's been groups to help people find cameras, and such. Give me a chance to google it and I'll see what I can find...

Edit: Needle in a Haystack (http://blog.facebook.com/blog.php?post=252048637130)

Telonius
2011-02-11, 01:18 PM
Might not be exactly what you're looking for, but I'm pretty sure Zynga has done something like this. "If we get X number of likes, we'll release this cool new feature!" Can't remember exactly what it was for, and there's probably a 100% chance that they'd have released the feature anyway.

grimbold
2011-02-12, 10:56 AM
those groups work more like petitions
essentially by joining a group that says we need X members for Y to happen you are joining a massive petition for Y to happen those groups are just as succesful as regular petitions

DeadManSleeping
2011-02-12, 12:18 PM
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2250482938

They're currently gathering the money to do what they wanted, but yes, the thing went through.

AshDesert
2011-02-12, 12:29 PM
I've very rarely seen "If X number of people join Y will happen" groups actually make a difference because the people forming the group either A) were going to do Y in the first place and set X low or B) weren't going to do Y so they set X high. That said, there are many Facebook groups (usually for organizations that already existed) who have raised a lot of money or served as platforms for organizing events and (the whole point of social networking) brought like-minded people together.

raitalin
2011-02-12, 10:59 PM
Betty White appearing on SNL?

Dr.Epic
2011-02-12, 11:18 PM
Well, here's the deal, I need to know if there ever was a Facebook group that actually managed to acomplish it's goal. I'm talking about the “let's get X ammount of followers so Y can happen“ kind of group.

A club I run is discussing the upcoming Thor movie on Facebook and about how we're going to get to the midnight showing. That count?

d13
2011-02-12, 11:32 PM

Or actually, any kind of story in which facebook affected real life in a (mostly at least) positive way.

Dude, our country's metal scene is almost all about that. Until 2009 the only show we've ever had was that of Epica at the Escollera Sarandí.

Last year, I don't know who created a group to get someone to bring Epica again, and they did come.
After that, it was Amon Amarth, then Therion, then Sonata Arctica... And there are scheduled shows of Blind Guardian, Helloween/Stratovarius, Black Label Society, Mötorhead, Angra, Tarja Turunen, and a lot more.

All started by a Facebook group.

It's not that the groups prompted the artists to come to Uruguay, but they made producers realize that we're enough to at least try to get them here xD

Helpful enough?

Devmaar
2011-02-13, 06:18 AM
A group successfully got Rage Against the Machine the UK Christmas no.1

Dallas-Dakota
2011-02-13, 06:40 AM
I know through Hyves(Dutch version of Facebook) that:
A man was coming back from a party, procedingly he looks up to his empty driveway and notices that his orange car is missing. He sees it driving off, quickly.

He calls the police ´´Sir, sir, my car has been stolen! I´m at (insert exact location), Utrecht. Please go chase it´´
´´No sir, you need to come to the office and file a report´´

Procedingly he tried to go do that the next morning, but he was referred to the police department of his hometown, where the car was registered. But they sent him back again, because the crime was not commited near there. And so on, and so on.

During one of those waits, he made a short update(A WWW, who what were) saying the details of how his car had been stolen, where it happend and how the car looked.

Procedingly after travelling by train and trying to file a report, he went to his parents house.
Checking his WWW, over 7000´ people had reposted his message and his inhbox had a message. ´´Your car is standing in my street! I´m at (dotdotdot)´´

His car was less then 3 streets away from his parents house and the report didn´t go through.

//
Didn´t know if this is what you wanted, since it´s not a group but :smallsmile:

Coplantor
2011-02-13, 08:36 AM
Thanks! Some of the above examples have been very helpful. Not exactly what I was looking for but they'll do for now. :smallbiggrin:

Volthawk
2011-02-13, 01:11 PM
Well, there is this (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=16221530186), which succeeded.