PDA

View Full Version : [4ed] Divine Challenge

Fawsto
2011-02-11, 01:14 PM
Ok, now I am confused:

When I checked the Paladin's Handbook from the Wizards forum (Pillars of Faith), the author said that the "must engage" clause had been handwaved.

Where can I find oficial material/errata backing that up? Do you guys have any idea?

Thanks,

Vknight
2011-02-11, 01:25 PM
The Divine Challenge compels the creature to attack you.
So they are more likely to attack you. If they don't they take damage and have a penalty to attack rolls.

They don't have to attack you, it's just there more likely to.

Hope that helps

Fawsto
2011-02-11, 01:28 PM
Well, the thing is that it seems that it is/was required that the Paladin engages his marked target (by ending his turn adjacent/attacking the creture during his turn), otherwise the power just faded away and the Paladin would not be able to mark another target in the following round.

Do you know any updates on that?

Vknight
2011-02-11, 01:33 PM
No Paladins throw down Divine Challenge as a burst selecting 1creature within the burst and they can choose to attack any creature.

Fighters attack someone after which them mark them as a 'Free Action' Fighters for the most part have to be adjacent because there 'Combat Challenge' involve the enemy shifting away or attacking someone else. At which point the Fighter gets an Opp-Attack.

Break
2011-02-11, 01:34 PM
Here's the errata on Divine Challenge: http://wizards.com/dnd/files/Nov2010Update.pdf

Specifically, you don't lose the ability to mark next turn - it simply won't last past the duration of your turn if you don't engage the target. So, yes, the DC restrictions have been loosened considerably.

gourdcaptain
2011-02-11, 01:38 PM
Well, the thing is that it seems that it is/was required that the Paladin engages his marked target (by ending his turn adjacent/attacking the creture during his turn), otherwise the power just faded away and the Paladin would not be able to mark another target in the following round.

Do you know any updates on that?

Yeah, an errata from a couple months ago changed it so that the mark fades if you don't engage, but you can still use the power next turn to mark them again or someone else.

I have a 4e paladin who's kinda infamous for kiting enemies away from the rest of the party (during approaching TPKs, or just when it would be hilarious) by marking them, running away, and shooting every round with a greatbow or tratnyr he doesn't have proficiency with. (I have almost no Str or Dex, so I'm not hitting with any ranged weapon. If I'm going to miss, I'm going to miss very far away.)

Vknight
2011-02-11, 01:41 PM
That seems pointless.

They changed it so you can't just mark the guy and it lasts if you don't attack him it fades.
Ok thats news to me how quickly at the end of the guys turn or the begining of the Paladins?

This is also why if I'm a defender I play a Fighter, Battlemind, or Swordsage.

RebelRogue
2011-02-11, 01:47 PM
That seems pointless.

They changed it so you can't just mark the guy and it lasts if you don't attack him it fades.
Ok thats news to me how quickly at the end of the guys turn or the begining of the Paladins?

This is also why if I'm a defender I play a Fighter, Battlemind, or Swordsage.
The thing they changed is the time it takes until you can use it again if you fail to engage (i.e. attack or end your turn adjacent to) the marked enemy. The original rule was, that when you failed to engage an enemy, you couldn't use the challenge in the next round. That restriction is gone now.

Vknight
2011-02-11, 01:51 PM
Ah it sounded completly different almost like the thing was ruined

Fawsto
2011-02-11, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the link!

Since I am begining to play 4ed today, I really needed to show that to my DM. Together with the Sanctions, a Paladin can do his work pretty nice.

Thnx for the great help!

Excession
2011-02-11, 04:00 PM
Here's the errata on Divine Challenge: http://wizards.com/dnd/files/Nov2010Update.pdf

Specifically, you don't lose the ability to mark next turn - it simply won't last past the duration of your turn if you don't engage the target. So, yes, the DC restrictions have been loosened considerably.

Is that update linked from anywhere? It's not listed on the updates page at http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/updates

Break
2011-02-11, 04:46 PM
I don't recall it being linked from anywhere on Wizard's site; I pulled the link from a topic in the CharOp forum.

MeeposFire
2011-02-11, 04:52 PM
Many of the new updates are in a separate section from the original sets of updates. Somebody will have to look closely to find them.

OracleofWuffing
2011-02-11, 05:11 PM

:smallconfused: And they dropped the -2 to non-me attack rolls, apparently? Huh, one of my DMs helped roll up a paladin for someone two weeks ago, and character builder still put the -2 on there (I could see it! All the letters looked like dots on the power card thingy, but I'm pretty certain it was there :smalltongue:)... Whoo, time for awkward talks with DMs now.

Excession
2011-02-11, 05:18 PM
The -2 is still there, it's part of the "Marked" condition that Divine Challenge applies.

Also, while searching for an official link for that update, I found another: http://wizards.com/dnd/files/DNDessentials.pdf

Edit: I found where the DNDessentials.pdf was linked from, it's just that the "this will be added to the updates" step never happened.