PDA

View Full Version : Trying my hand at some random items........ [PEACH]

Doggie_arf
2011-02-11, 01:51 PM
Well, it's 2am in the morning where I am, and I was bored and unable to sleep. So I thought I'd try and make some stuff for fun. Random ideas popping into existence and whatnot.

Anyway, not sure if this is priced right, so here goes........

---------------------

Pendant of Physic
This plain silver pendant has a reddish gemstone embedded in its center. The jewel itself is dull and unreflective, with a color similar to that of dried blood. The pendant itself seems unremarkable, its true capabilities only coming into play when the wearer sustains bodily harm.

The pendant of physic possesses a modest pool of 5 charges, which are refreshed at sunrise every morning. Whenever the pendant's wearer would sustain ability damage (but not drain or burn) to her physical ability scores (Strength, Dexterity or Constitution), the pendant will automatically absorb the damage, with each charge negating 1 point of physical ability damage. Any remaining physical ability damage will affect the wearer normally.

In addition, the wearer may also use the pendant's charges to fuel abilities that require her to take physical ability damage (but not drain or burn), as part of the action used to execute said ability. Each charge spent this way equates to 1 point of physical ability damage used to fuel the ability, and the wearer may use any number of charges (up to the amount left within the pendant).

The wearer may not combine the pendant's charges with normal damage to her own ability scores to fuel such abilities - she may only fuel them from one source. The pendant can fuel these abilities even if the wearer lacks the requisite ability score or is immune to ability damage.

A wearer must don the pendant of physic for 24 hours before she can receive any of its benefits. The gemstone glows crimson each time the pendant's charges are used, turning transparent once all 5 daily charges have been expended.

Faint abjuration; CL 3rd; Craft Wondrous Item, body ward (CChamp p117); Price 24,000 gp.

---------------------

I may come up with more stuff later once I get more inspiration. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. :smallbiggrin:

Doggie_arf
2011-02-12, 12:20 AM
No comments yet? I'll come up with another one, then.

---------------------

Spark Sigil

This wooden emblem is adorned with runes representing iron and lightning. A length of steel wire is looped through one end of the emblem, allowing the spark sigil to be tied to the hilt or haft of a weapon. Attaching or detaching the spark sigil is a full-round action that provokes attacks of opportunity. A weapon may only have one spark sigil attached at a time - if two or more are attached, none of them will function.

The wielder of such a weapon may choose to activate the spark sigil as a swift action, causing the sigil and the attached weapon to hum and crackle with suppressed electrical energy. The next successful melee attack he makes releases said energy in a 20 ft. radius burst, centered on the target of his attack. All creatures within the burst take half the damage (rounded down) dealt by the original attack as electrical damage (Reflex DC 15 halves this further). Neither the wielder or the original target are affected by this electrical burst.

The spark sigil's effect only lasts until a successful melee attack is made or until the end of the wielder's next turn, whichever comes first. After that, it crumbles into worthless dust. A spark sigil will only work if attached to a weapon made predominantly of metal - it will not function otherwise. A greatsword or halberd would work (or even a steel shield if the attack is a shield bash), but not a quarterstaff or an ironwood falchion.

Faint evocation; CL 5th; Craft Wondrous Item, lightning bolt or call lightning; Price 750 gp.

DracoDei
2011-02-12, 01:14 AM
Well, that first item looks mighty tasty for Hell-fire warlocks. Probably about the right price, about half what a hypothetical (except in my games, as opposed to RAW) +5 item would cost, which since it doesn't give you any bonuses to checks or damage or hitpoints or whatever for an increased ability modifier, sounds about right.

The 24 hour thing was a good catch to keep people from hauling around a box full of them at higher levels... don't know about the "can't split between actual stat and item" clause, but I guess it keeps it from increasing the maximum.

Noticeably better than a 2/day item of Lesser Restoration in almost all cases (since it is pro-active, and averages to the same thing).

Doggie_arf
2011-02-12, 01:29 AM
Well, that first item looks mighty tasty for Hell-fire warlocks. Probably about the right price, about half what a hypothetical (except in my games, as opposed to RAW) +5 item would cost, which since it doesn't give you any bonuses to checks or damage or hitpoints or whatever for an increased ability modifier, sounds about right.

The HF warlock was one of the first examples I thought of. Could become scary with Legacy Champion/X Trickster cheese, I guess.

Would it be ok if I allow it to pay for abilities with ability burn costs? Right now, it seems a bit like a one-trick item, and doing so could unlock some usability for psionicists.

The 24 hour thing was a good catch to keep people from hauling around a box full of them at higher levels... don't know about the "can't split between actual stat and item" clause, but I guess it keeps it from increasing the maximum.

Stole the first clause from some stuff in the MiC - I'm glad you like it. :smallbiggrin: The second clause was cloned off the rules for cognizance crystals - you can't fuel powers from two different sources of power points, and I felt that this should work the same way.

Noticeably better than a 2/day item of Lesser Restoration in almost all cases (since it is pro-active, and averages to the same thing).

There's the additional function of fueling abilities with ability damage costs. With the cost, daily charge limit and attunement time, it shouldn't be that scary, I hope. :smallredface:

Keep those comments coming! :smallsmile:

Doggie_arf
2011-02-12, 11:40 AM
More stuff while you wait! (This one's kinda long........)

---------------------

Token of Transference

The wizard who created the original tokens of transference did so in order to grant his less-learned companions some part of his arcane ability. Spell energy could be stored within each token in a way usable even by the humblest commoners or the most unlettered savages. The design was soon copied by many an arcanist and artificer, and hundreds, if not thousands, of these tokens now exist today, in varying strength and quality.

Although each token may differ greatly in appearance, the basic design remains the same - a palm-sized tablet of wood, bone or metal, with arcane runes etched on the surface in concentric circles. Stronger tokens tend to possess more circles and finer, more precisely etched runes - some powerful specimens with over a thousand runes have been known to exist. However, a successful Spellcraft check is required to accurately determine a token's strength (DC 15 + the level of the spell that can be stored within the token).

Any spellcaster may empower a token of transference as a full-round action that provokes attacks of opportunity, imbuing the token with a spell of their choosing by sacrificing the appropriate prepared spell or spell slot. A token cannot store spells of a higher or lower level than the one it is designed for, nor may it store spells affected by metamagic feats - the sole exception to this is the use of Heighten Spell to increase a spell's level. Attempting to do so merely wastes the caster's action, although he retains his spell slot/prepared spell. Spells requiring material components or foci or a casting time greater than 1 standard action may not be stored within a token of transference.

The runes of an empowered token of transference glow faintly - this will not jeopardize any attempts at stealth (such as Hide checks). Anybody in possession of an empowered token may break or crush it as a standard action (that provokes attacks of opportunity) to release the stored spell with no chance of spell failure - this destroys the token and renders it unusable. The user is treated as the caster of the spell, and his caster level and relevant ability scores are considered to be the minimum required for determining save DCs and other relevant spell effects (typically twice the spell's level, minus 1 for caster level, and 10 plus the spell's level for save DCs). Any XP costs for the spell are automatically paid by the user of the token - if the user cannot meet this requirement, the token simply disintegrates without effect, its magic wasted.

A token of transference can store its spell energy indefinitely, or until used. If found as part of random treasure, there is a 20% chance that the token has already been charged with a spell (50/50 chance of arcane or divine spell, roll on the Scroll (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/scrolls.htm) table of the appropriate level, ignoring any spells with material or focus components, or casting times longer than 1 standard action). Identifying a spell within a token of transference is similar to identifying a scroll, requiring read magic or a Spellcraft check (DC 20 plus the level of the spell inside).

Strong transmutation; CL 17th; Craft Wondrous Item, creator must be able to cast spells of the spell level to be stored; Price 50 gp (1st), 250 gp (2nd), 600 gp (3rd), 1100 gp (4th), 1750 gp (5th), 2550 gp (6th), 3500 gp (7th), 4600 gp (8th), 5850 gp (9th).

DracoDei
2011-02-13, 11:21 AM
I would allow it to function versus drain before I would allow it to function versus burn. Burn is sorta supposed to be something you can't do much about with spells/powers/equipment/whatever. Of course, a version that worked versus drain would be a more expensive up-grade probably. IE do it as a separate version.

DracoDei
2011-02-18, 10:31 PM
The spark sigil is... a really good deal at higher levels for martial initiators and other melee-ists. This is because its damage cues off of the amount of damage done, and most melee-ists have that in spades. It is great for eliminating the mooks while damaging the BBEG. The 20' range is the biggest limiter on its power... well that and the lack of I.F.F., but since it is generally going to go off the first round (hitting is generally easy at high levels), the I.F.F. isn't a big deal, and most AoEs lack that anyway.