PDA

View Full Version : Bugs in Star Wars WotC 1st Ed

Cicciograna
2011-02-11, 04:06 PM
In a previous thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179680) I manifeted the intention to buy a SW RPG handbook: I was suggested to buy WEG Edition, and after an extenuating research, I found a nearly perfect copy of the Revised and Expanded Edition (http://www.amazon.com/Star-Roleplaying-Second-Revised-Expanded/dp/087431268X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1296472607&sr=8-2) at a ridiculously low price.

Having won an auction, the incredibly kind, polite and correct seller surprised me generously throwing in another handbook FOR FREE, and said handbook turned out to be the core rulebook for SW RPG 1st Edition (http://www.amazon.com/Core-Rulebook-Star-Wars-Roleplaying/dp/0786917938/ref=tmm_hrd_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1296472565&sr=8-1), published by WotC in 2000.
In my previous thread I received bad impressions on the latter manual: by quickly browsing it (really quickly, just a glance) I noticed that it seems to be based on the same rules of D&D 3.5 Edition, as there are skills as Survival or Sleight of Hand, apart from some other tweaks such as WP/VP instead of Hit Points.

Now, in this particular moment of my life I'm very busy, and too easily distracted to detect mechanical flaws in WotC handbook: has anybody of you some experience with this manual who could tell me why it has such an awful reputation and what are its bugs?

Kansaschaser
2011-02-11, 04:27 PM
The West End Games version uses a D6 system. I've played that version for 8+ years. The new versions, which is like D&D in most regards, is a level based system.

If you like Skill Based systems, then go with the D6 system. Yes, it does have flaws(damage rules and amor mostly), but you can make characters that are "powerful" from the start of the game. The system is incredibly versatile.

If you like Level Based systems, then go with the newer version. It's a lot like D&D, so you may be familiar with it already. Again, low level characters are just as weak as low level characters in D&D. You will have to level the characters up before you put them up against anything too difficult.

Cicciograna
2011-02-11, 04:48 PM
The West End Games version uses a D6 system. I've played that version for 8+ years. The new versions, which is like D&D in most regards, is a level based system.

If you like Skill Based systems, then go with the D6 system. Yes, it does have flaws(damage rules and amor mostly), but you can make characters that are "powerful" from the start of the game. The system is incredibly versatile.

If you like Level Based systems, then go with the newer version. It's a lot like D&D, so you may be familiar with it already. Again, low level characters are just as weak as low level characters in D&D. You will have to level the characters up before you put them up against anything too difficult.

I thank you, but was talking about WotC 1st Edition flaws :smallsmile:
See, many comments in the previous thread regarding such version picture it as awful and full of bugs (incidentally, many of which - but not all of them - were corrected in WotC Revised Edition): I was basically asking what are the bugs that flawed such Edition.

From what I could read, WEG Edition is really good, as d6 is flexible and powerful enough to recreate the mood and feel of SW. I do not doubt that this system too has flaws, but at the moment I'd like to focus on WotC version's mechanical bugs.

Mando Knight
2011-02-11, 04:58 PM
The flaws of both the original and RCR versions of the d20 Star Wars are that they aren't the WEG or SAGA editions. SAGA, in particular, is considered by some to be the best thing to happen to d20 systems since the invention of the icosahedron. :smalltongue:

The main issue with it is that they tried to port over 3.0 (which isn't exactly a perfect system to begin with... and the publishing date is 2000) to Star Wars with minimal changes (which means it doesn't adjust to the difference in settings much). Thus you get (for example) far too many different skills in a game setting where everyone's supposed to be at least minimally proficient in almost everything.