PDA

View Full Version : the flashman papers: why am I still reading them?

dehro
2011-02-11, 04:15 PM
seriously... I loathe the main character.. the plot is more often than not quite predictable, and it seems the author goes out of his way to make the character as hateful, petty and despicable as possible..to a point where I really can't relate to him at all..
granted, it's decently written, but seriously.. I can't work out why I haven't yet done away with the book.
has anybody else had a similar experience? maybe with the same books?

rayne_dragon
2011-02-11, 04:25 PM
Wheel of Time and Sword of Truth. I've kept reading both long past the point where I liked them (the 3rd and 1st books respectively). I have to say that Sword of Truth has at least occasionally regained my interest, but looses it every time it descends into author tract territory. I don't even know why I still read Wheel of Time.

dehro
2011-02-11, 05:00 PM
I just realised I put this in the wrong section...:smalleek:

Halae
2011-02-12, 08:25 PM
Wheel of Time and Sword of Truth. I've kept reading both long past the point where I liked them (the 3rd and 1st books respectively). I have to say that Sword of Truth has at least occasionally regained my interest, but looses it every time it descends into author tract territory. I don't even know why I still read Wheel of Time.

I constantly run out of books to read, so I've been keeping up on the Wheel of Time. the latest two books by Brandon Sanderson? I have to say, I never realized that Mat could be so funny, yet still be in character. When Robert Jordan was writing him, he was just grumbling all the time and complaining about nobles and women. now he still does that, but he waxes philosophical in strange ways and does everything with a certain level of style that I just find hilarious. The series has been revived - too bad it's only on the final three books :smallfrown:

That said, I don't think I've ever read any other series of books that died but I kept reading them

Science Officer
2011-02-13, 02:48 PM
it seems the author goes out of his way to make the character as hateful, petty and despicable as possible..to a point where I really can't relate to him at all..

that is rather the point, I think. he's supposed to be as rotten and cowardly as possible and still be successful and well-regarded. this is supposed to be funny.

It's also a lot more interesting if you know the history it takes place in.

I've only read the first book, but I like it.

rayne_dragon
2011-02-13, 02:57 PM
I constantly run out of books to read, so I've been keeping up on the Wheel of Time. the latest two books by Brandon Sanderson? I have to say, I never realized that Mat could be so funny, yet still be in character. When Robert Jordan was writing him, he was just grumbling all the time and complaining about nobles and women. now he still does that, but he waxes philosophical in strange ways and does everything with a certain level of style that I just find hilarious. The series has been revived - too bad it's only on the final three books :smallfrown:

That said, I don't think I've ever read any other series of books that died but I kept reading them

Hmm... I may have to get around to reading the latest books at some point then, if the new guy has made them good I'll be quite impressed. I think I left off on the last one Robert Jordan wrote... somewhere in the middle... :smallsigh:

dehro
2011-02-13, 04:10 PM
that is rather the point, I think. he's supposed to be as rotten and cowardly as possible and still be successful and well-regarded. this is supposed to be funny.

It's also a lot more interesting if you know the history it takes place in.

I've only read the first book, but I like it.

I know a bit or two of the history it takes place in.. and I've just finished the first one (now started on the second, as I bought 2, in a spurt of ..not sure what, really)..
I think I'm reading them in the hope that at one point someone soundly trashes and exposes the character... yet I know of course that that's never going to happen..which irritates me to some degree..
I'm not at all sure I'll actually read through the second one too..and I don't think I'll buy any others.

Eldan
2011-02-13, 04:48 PM
Hmm... I may have to get around to reading the latest books at some point then, if the new guy has made them good I'll be quite impressed. I think I left off on the last one Robert Jordan wrote... somewhere in the middle... :smallsigh:

I've only read two or so books of Wheel of Time, but if Sanderson can do anything, it's write likeable characters.

rakkoon
2011-02-14, 07:16 AM
Dune books by Kevin Anderson. I read the three House Blablah prequels and then bought The Butlerian Jyhad. Started reading for 10 pages and then just thought "What am I doing here". Perhaps one day...